Team Jo-Jo schedule lunch trip to Mississippi, Big T-Doc had other plans, (ne needed a crew to help move an anchor from one house to the other) for us but it got cancelled so we just all ate lunch and talked fishing for an hour or two.
At our lunch me offered a trip for that evening, but had all fair weather fisherpersons at the lunch, no one to challenge the rain.
We did however get a trip plan for today, Big T-Doc offered to take his boat and be Captain for the day, joining him was Big Pablo, (his regular first mate) Big PJ, and Oneofthepack would be on board his 23 foot Sea Chaser come Saturday morning for a run around the Bayou Bienvenue area.
- Had a great lunch at Tony’s
- Work detail cancelled
- Anticipation from Wednesday to Saturday’s trip was a little nerve racking.
- Plan was me to pick up Big PJ at 5:00 Am and meet up with Big Pablo at his house, and Big T-Doc was to pick us all up over there for 5:30 AM, it was a perfect time line / meet up.
- Made a stop at Ed’s lunch off Paris Road, picked up 120 live shrimp, some of us needed a little more help with the catching.
- Past Bayou Bienvenue up we thought it would be to crowed
- When we got to Gulf Outlet Mariner, boast backed up to the raid, but that was Bass Tournament boats, so we went right up front and lunched with no problem
- Passed on fishing THE PEN, me wanted to hit Big Pablo top secret spot, they caught 25 plus Silverwonders, & Redworries Friday morning, so we had some real fresh Intel to chase.
- S.E. wind 6-8 than 10-12 mph
- Sunny & clear, a little cloudy in the AM
- Cold, cool, mild temps
- Kept me jumpsuit on all day
- Water level up 4-6”
- Water temp 51.9F
- Me think we had a slack tide, on the way out nothing moving in the locks, on the way back it was pouring out the locks, assume that be a falling tide
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a mix on a 7 and a 3 minus depending on where you fishing.
- Me did not know they had than boats in Louisiana, they be coming from Shell Beach running to Bayou Bienvenue, they be coming from Bayou Bienvenue running to Shell Beach, and some just kept running back and forth to each area, lots of boats out and about.
- Bait all over the top of water in MRGO
- We say a school of something coming down MRGO, it was smashing bait in the water, but we were not to coordinated (this be one of a few couple items that pooped up on the trip and could have taken us out of our game, but that not to be on Capt T-Doc watch) toady, as me got me line caught on the trolling motor, and we could not chase the fish.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on 23 foot SeaChaser, and the black Mercury.
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Learn Big Pablo top secret spot
- Learn how to fish MRGO from Big Pablo & Big T-Doc
- See what lures they use to catch in the above areas
- Introduce Big PJ to Big T-Doc * Big Pablo so that is they ever need a crew member they can call Big PJ, me know he be glad to jump on board any time and to make a trip.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind at our back, and pushed us along the rocks, trolling motor just kept us on the correct angle & distance to fish the rocks. Big T-Doc was our trolling motor operator, he gave up fishing so we could have the best boat position and angle to the rocks.)
- MOVING WATER: (Big T-Doc kept saying no tide today, and we could not see any signs of one, except when we went through the locks, if me had to guess we had a slack tide, turned and started to fall late in the evening.)
- WATER CALRITY: (It was a 7 at Big Pablo top secret spot, but in and around Bayou Bienvenue it was a 3 minus, not looking good at all, but we had the best and the worst to fish, and we caught a few in both conditions.)
- HOLDING FISH: (THE PEN)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed some today, slow action day, (except for THE PEN. ) trying to learning the area, and techniques helped pass the time, but not knowing that already also made it a little more of a challenge to keep focus, for me anyway.)
- SKILL: (Pratices what Big T-Doc & Big Pablo preached)
- LUCK: (Having Big T-Doc and Big Pablo show us around)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………25% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Drift with the wind cast & retrieve (DWWC&R)…………… 45 % FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………30 CAUGHT WITH LIVE BAIT
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….30% CAUGHT W/THIS LURE
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- SHRIMP CREOL 20%
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Big Pablo top secrete spot, made a top at THE PEN on the way in got into some Redworrier action.
- Lived to fish another day
- (18) Silverwonders (13) throw backs
- (40) Redworries, 32 Ratworriers
- (1) Flounder
- (1) Bass
- (1) Stripe Bass
- (7) Drum
- (6) Sheepsheads
- (10) Bottoms
- (7) Popped lines bottom
- (3) Extra poles
- (4) Tangled lines
- We dropped the trolling motor over to move us around, the wire pulls out of the plug, once again Big T-Doc fixing it and not fishing, he be a one of a kind Team Jo-Jo Captain
- Me caught the trolling motor, knocked it out of action, used just the wind to move us around, not good
- We had two cast interference, unlike the Saints game me called it and penalized 2 minutes in the no cast zone.
- Lots of clean cool fresh air in me lungs
- Hint of a tan on me face
- Hooked meself in me finger bleed like a stuff pig
- Great food and drinks, (made to order) as provide by Big T-Doc and his lovely lady Big Carol, thanks go much appreciated.
- Spending the day aboard the SeaChase with (3) of the best fisherpersons me know, priceless it be.
- A Seagull dived down and peck up me Top dog, but let it go real quick
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big PJ jumped out front quickly, (2) Silverwonders, and (1) Flounder, we all did not know what to do, we kept trying to mimic his technique and presentation. As the morning progressed and Big PJ slowed down, crew started to catch up with a few catching of our own. Than Big PJ catches the next biggest Redworrier, now once again he be (All be it slim) leading the pack. Me had to deduct a few points for Big PJ catching of the extra poles once & twice. Plus he had a cast interference call go against him too, another point or two gone, this left the door open for Big Pablo aggressive pursuit of the fishes for today.
Big Pablo, a fishing / catching machine, once he finds his groove he is on a roll, he cornered the Sheepshead market, and led in the drum category, and me quite sure he had a marginal led with the Silverwodners. Big Pablo also got a cast interference call, he too had a point or two taken away, couple this with the jig head to jig head hit call, and it all be even at this point.
Oneofthepack struggled all day, lures did not seem to work well for me, but they worked for the other fisherpersons, me just had an off day. Me did catch the biggest Redworrier of the day, and a few Silverwonders, but it not be enough for me even to be considered for the fisherperson of the day honors.
Big T-Doc being the Captain / unselfish gentlemen he is, offered to operate the trolling motor (wind was a little strong and blowing us directly to the rocks) and not fish so boat could have the best / ideal position, & angel to the rocks so his crew would catch fish and have a great time. Three fins up for our captain, for his offering today Big T-Doc gets honorable mention for fisherperson of the day, and a 3 point lead on our next trip before we even leave the dock.
All of the above now leads us at a tie between Big PJ & Big Pablo, so me says, we have 39 Redworries, whoever catches the 40th Redworrier will be fisherperson of the day. They both threw out at the same time, both baits hit the water at the same time.
Big Pablo sets the hook, set, re- set, Redworrier making its way in, but………wait…….Redworrier gest off.
Big PJ set right behind that of Big Pablo, Big Pablo quickly reloads and is back in the water, Big PJ set is a good set, he be reeling a lot faster now than any other time of the trip. Big Pablo gets another set, this time hook set deep, but Big PJ swings in the 4oth Redworrier before Big Pablo could get his in.
Big PJ fisherperson of the day, me think his Flounder did the trick, first Flounder me seen in a long, long, long time.
Might want to bring live and/or dead bait with you, lures don’t seem to work well at this time of year, and present water conditions.
Fish father down the MRGO, past castle, the water looked a lot better there.
Fish corks along the rocks, as you will hang up a lot if you don’t.
Check out the action in THE PEN
PONDER OF THE DAY:
You’ve gotta fish like there’s nobody watching
O & A:
Is it possible for a fisherperson to fathom the true depths of fishing and catching?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Sunday open, hope to be fishing somewhere, somehow, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 573 views