Big Andrew & Oneofthepack bid on a fishing trip with Big Capt Mike Gallo at the CCA banquet, we set a date in early December to make the trip, but weather cancelled us out. So we grouped and picked today for trip / journey to take place.
- Meet up at 7:05 at Angling Adventures with Capt Mike at his lodge on Hey 433
- We could have stayed at the lodge, but we did not want to put Capt Gallo through any additional exercise, as we both live 15 minutes away from the lodge.
- Nice not to have to bring any gear for a fishing trip
- Nice to have the boat in the water waiting for you to arrive
- We were off in no time, had a 45 minute run to our fishing rounds, we know not where we headings, we know not what we fish, we relied on Capt Mike to make all the decisions.
- Made the first stop around 8:02 AM.
- East wind 8-10 mph
- Sunny & clear, partly cloudy throughout the day, more sun then clouds
- Cold to cool temps, kept jumpsuit on all day, was real cold going 35 plus MPH when running the Blue wave to our fishing holes.
- Water level down about 8-10”
- Water temp 52.9F
- Falling tide, stopped, turned and started to come in
- Water clarity on scale of 1-7 was a 7 plus, looked real good all over
- 40 – 50 boast out and about, hate to be out on a weekend, boats were stacked up in different spots, all along the MRGO, castle, and Intercostal
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Learned all fishing techniques, presentations, spots, etc. that we can from Capt Mike Gallo
- Check out his style, mannerism, character, humor, personality, philosophy of fishing, and what it takes to be a guide.
- How do you handle those days when you have a crew / charter and don’t have a catching type day?
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind at our back as we fishing south side of channel, on a slight angel from left to right)
- MOVING WATER: (Had this criteria all day, falling / incoming best of both worlds.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Best of the best could not get any better it sad a 7 plus in all areas we stopped, and fished.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # BB-13 (14) t
- PATIENTS: ( Slow start, but the conversations kept us going, then we got into a little run of the Silverwodners, no patients needed to day, too much entertainment to be bored)
- SKILL: (Capt Mike Gallo, has a master in the art of skill)
- LUCK: (We were able to book or trip when we wanted, made for a perfect trip in every way)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………(4) Silverwonder caught this wat
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(2) Silverwonders
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..(1) hook up missed at boat
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(4) caught with this lure
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………(3) caught with this lure DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
- Drop shot caught 1 1oz. drop w/ 1/4oz. on lure
- Mix of other lures Capt Mike using caught 10 Silverwonders
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # BB-12 (5) t, 18, Castel, BB 13 (14) t, 14, 16, stopped fishing around 2:10 pm turned the Bluewave east for a long 45 minuet cold run back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (18) Silverwonders, (4) throw backs
- (4) Redworries, (2) bulls (2) Rats
- (1) Flounder (first one this year)
- (6) Bottoms
- (5) popped lines bottom
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Great peanut butter crackers, and water this be Big Andrew doing, thanks man for the snacks
- Great conversations:
- Fish stories
- Hunting stories
- Bluewater fishing stories
- Boats discussions Bay Boats and Bluewater boats
- History of our lives where we lived, schools, college, military, family, how we meet our wives, and kids
- Past, present, & future mutual friends.
- Things / items learned:
- Best color bottom for a boat, white it be seems fish ice it better
- How to de-bone a flounder, me first time ever seeing this.
- How to rig & fish a drop shot rig, mix / match various size weights, effect of different type lines, i.e. Mono, power pro, fluorocarbon, etc.
- Fishing the middle of the Intercostal, middle deepest water with drop shots
- How to fish the castle, location & technique
- How to know if fish are active, or dormant, based on the way they act when you reel them in
- The moon impact on fishing
- Spawning impact on fishing, what males do, and what females do
- The high archery of catching, (cigar trout, school trout, high school trout, college trout, senior citizen, big trout, mule trout & what you can tell from this. Their age, spawning habits / durations, and when is the best time to fish them for each level of the high archery, and what you can take away from catching them.
- Spawning process of the flounder, where the males makes home, and what the female does through the spawning process, where he is at certain times of the spawn.
- Seeing Capt Mike’s new lodge he just built, it be a beauty. Me know a many of good trips / memories will start form here in the future.
- Spending the day on the water with 2 of the best fisherpersons me know, Big Capt Mike Gallo, and Big Andrew.
- Seeing a bunny rabbit run across Big Andrew Street on me way home from his abode, this was / is a good sign for tomorrow.
- Being entertained all day by Big Mike & Big Andrew taken shots at each other.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Andrew jumped out with a 2 Silverwodners lead, doing the Oak River Troll, but his luck / skill was short lived, but he did managed to get a few shots, (trash talk) at the rest of us, before the tables turned. Me think he may have hooked one my dragging a cork behind the boat with purple H&H beetle 2 foot down. He got some extra points for his stories, and the snacks he brought, and like Big Mike said he has a lot of entertainment value, but all this was not enough to capture the honors today, Big Andrew came in at a close third.
Oneofthepack struggled all day, did not catch me Silverwonder fish until around 1:00 PM, now me only 1 behind Big Andrew, and looking for number 2 to tie him. Me may have caught 2-3 more but that be it. Even though we caught the BIG Redworrier, and the Flounder, had some good stories, took a few GOOD shots, this too was not enough for the honors today.
Big Capt Gallo caught 1st Silverwonder, Big Redworrier, (2) Rats, and a whole bunch of Silverwodners, he had many good stories, one upped Big Andrew 2-1 on stories, had a lot of good entertainment value, had the best trash talk comment, (He threw a Silverwonder on the floor, says he me knew Big Andrew would pick it up, says he just wanted Big Andrew to feel like he catch something), me says good one Capt. Plus he also put us on some Silverwonders that have been real elusive for Big Andrew & Oneofthepack, he put together a great trip, journey, and memories that will last us a life time, Big Mike fisherperson of the day.
One of our strategy for today was to check out Capt Mike Gallo’s style, mannerism, character, humor, personality, philosophy of fishing, and what it takes to be a guide, with all of the above in mind Big Andrew & Oneofthepack give a 5 star rating on all counts.
Once fish where cleaned, boat clean we all went to Southside for a late lunch, Capt Mike sat down with us for 2 ½ hours taking fishing, guiding, and all the items / things mention above, we fell he went above and beyond that of a Capt, (both on and off the water) and would recommend him to all and any fisherperson/s looking for more than a fishing trip.
Thank you Capt Mie for a great day on and off the water.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Fishing can only be understood backwards; but it must be fished forwards.
O & A:
If catching is best, why is fishing so popular?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 741 views