TEAM JO-JO……………………………. Oneofthepack & Big PJ wanted badly to get in Lake P and try to perfect our technique of trolling the trestles in Lake P, but the weather conditions, where not as such to allow this to happen.
Big PJ went to plan “B” head down south (Hopedale / Reggio) to see if the reds wanted to come out and play, me understand they stacked up in the canals. Big PJ needs all the help he can get, and this type fishing is like fishing in a bath tub, me think he will catch a few.
Oneofthepack stayed home working on some paper work for the VA, took a break and read reports on Rodnreel.com, me saw that someone had responded to me post. It was Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) he indicated he had a 10:00 appointment, but after that he ready, willing, able to go. Me shot him an email ready when you are, says he 1:00 PM we to meet at Waffle House in Slidell Oak Harbor for a trip to the Bayou Bienvenue (BB) area to fish in his boat.
- Good night sleep
- Great college championship football game on cable, was up late watching it, then me was all fired up and could not go to sleep.
- Loveofthepack out of town for (4) days, a fishing we will go, a fishing we will go, a fishing we will go, high ho the cherry “O” a fishing we will go.
- Got VA paper work done
- Loaded up the new FORD transporter, short ride to Waffle House
- Loaded up Big Bud’s FORD transporter, short ride to the Chef, launching no problem, parking no problem.
- Saw pig & rabbit, both where DOH on Hwy 11, nothing on Hwy 90
- Big Bud’s Nautic Star purred like a kitten, quick pace run to the wall to start the day
- Started fishing at 2:06 PM
- Huston we have a problem, locks in the intercostal is closed, no boat traffic, this the first time me ever saw it closed.
- We fished the wall, after 35 – 40 minutes they open it back up, they must have been testing the locks.
- S.E. wind 18-20 mph steady all day, around 5:15 PM it stopped blowing very quickly
- Partly cloudy, most sunny
- Mild, cool, cold temps, (me glad me had jump suite) we could feel the temperature as we headed east back to the launch, we went through about 3-4 changes in temperature.
- Water temp 47-51* F
- Water level down 18-20”
- Tide falling turned and stared to come in, assume when water going through locks, (east) in intercostal it is falling????
- Water Clarity (WC) on a scale of 1-7
- Spot # BB-15A (wall) 2 minus
- Spot BB 13 3
- Spot BB 16 6 plus
- Only saw one boat he at BB 13, had the whole area to ourselves
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Have fun
- Brought (3) poles, (1) rigged with 10# mono, with H&H ¼ oz. round head w/gold hook, (for shallow fishing) (1) rigged with 6# power pro, 15# leader, with H&H 3/8 oz. round lead head, (for deep water & quick fall) (1) 6# power pro with 3/4oz. round head (to go deep & troll) used all 3 during our quest for the Silverwonders.
- We were looking for clean looking water to fish, had a feeling BB 13 & 16 would be ideal conditions to fish.
- Me mention to Big Bud me needed (6) Silverwonders for a friend so that was our goal for today
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- Wind at your back: (Wind today was tough, we fished lee shorelines, and drifted perpendicular to the shore on an angle in the direction we were going with the wind at our back. In some case we had to throw into the wind, because that is the way they wanted it.).
- Moving water: (Me not sure, me think we had a falling tide, then it came in, not sure which direction in/out at locks, all me know is it was poring through the locks both ways today.)
- Water Clarity: (Water at wall a 2 minus, real muddy looking, across form Hot Water canal was a 3 plus, and the slip was a 6 plus, for the most part water looked pretty good.)
- Holding fish: Spot # BB 13 we had a pretty good run, casting in about 6-7 feet of water caught 4, all other fish caught at BB 16, the later in the day the better the bites.)
- Patient: Did not take long for action to start, but periods in-between catches was a little slow, but we just kept on casting till we found the honey hole.)
- Trolling nothing
- Corks nothing, did not try
- Drift cast & retrieve, nice a SLOW along the bottom was the trick for today.
LURE DU JOUR:
Oneofthepack started out with the 3” H&H purple beetle matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook. After boating (3) (NMR) Silverwodners Big Bud went digging for purple lure, guess what he did not have any, but me had all he needed. Big Bud caught 1 on purple.
After leaving the shallow area, we headed for deep water, and all other fish caught with the Matrix Shad Lemon Drop took over, either with 3/8 oz. head or ¼ oz., me on 3/8, Big Bud on ¼ oz.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS (Bayou Bienvenue area) ON THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # BB 15A, BB 13 (4) t, BB 16 (4 (NMR)) t, (3) r, (1) f, and (3) j, stopped fishing at 4:48 PM, quick ride back to the launch at Chef.
- Lived to fish another day
- (8) (NMR) Silverwodners
- (3) reds, released (2) bulls
- (1) Flounder
- (3) Jack fish
- (1) Trolling motor
- Ball of old line with lure, threw back, they to hard to clean
- (5) Bottoms
- (3) popped lines
- (1/4) bushel of grass
- Wonderful lonely relaxing evening on the water catching fish of all kinds, and the fight the bulls put up was exciting to say the lease.
- Another great trip with Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) he put us on some more fishes got us enough to take care of me friend, plus some. If you ever get a chance to fish with Big Bud, don’t pass it up, the man can fish, and more important he can catch.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Me think me edge Eastofmrgo out by a few, me think he think me don’t know he think he edge me out.
We knew (hoping) from past trips to tis areas, the area we fished would have clean looking fishable / catchable water. Me think clean / clarity of water is the key, just need to go out and find it.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Real happiness / success is finding your quest in the environment that you love.
Me got to clean fish in the AM, so not sure if fishing in me future for tomorrow, but who knows what opportunities may come me way, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 1,354 views