Me been having this never ending desire to fish Bayou Bienvenue, Big Bud said he saw a video of some fisherpersons catching them along the rocks on north side of the ICW lock wall.
Based on weather predictions, me did not want to temp, (so me did a solo trip) anyone for a first mate to make this trip, go decision on two fronts, rain / and no bites.
Up at 3:00 AM, left the house at 6:45, and made me way to Gulf Outlet Mariner for 7:30 AM, just in time to see no action in / on / around the water. Me the only boat launched, and when me got back 12:15 me still the only boat.
- Spur of the moment trip
- No wild life sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, but did see a few couple DOH bubby rabbits.
- Passed on Waffle House & McDonnel.
- Did not by any ice, me expectations were low, but did bring an ice chest.
- Me only boat at launch
- Yamaha Nightmare Machine took 11 pulls to get her started, she be a cold nature girl
- Made a few stops in THE PEN, nothing not even a bite
- Fired up the Yamaha Nightmare Machine, we off to Michaud Slip to find the big girls
- Huston we have a problem, FOG!!!!!! Thick as it could be
- With be expert seamanship, me made it to the honey hole in back of the Michaud Slip.
- Saw 1 shoreline fisherperson, and 1 other boat, came in fast, left even faster.
- Calm wind, then from the S.E., than form the W.N.W 12-15 mph, blew all morning
- Over cast cloudy day, sun peaked out for a few minutes
- (2) Rain clouds hit me, but they moving so fast it was on and off in minutes, me got a little damp.
- No lighting, this predication almost made me stay home, but had none today.
- Cool temps, kept jump suite on all day. Me kept hitting hot spots and colds spots as me ran arid the temperature would drop 4-6 *, and then go back up 4-6 *, it would rise with the rain clouds when they came in.
- Water level up 6-8”
- Water temp started out at 48.6 F got up to 50.2 F
- Tide was slack, no movement in Bayou Bienvenue lock, none!!! ICW locks around 10:08 AM showed some moving falling, but the time me hot back to Bayou Bienvenue locks it was falling pretty good.
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
- THE PEN a 3 minus
- Bayou Bienvenue locks 3
- Michaud Slip 6 plus, looked good but had a green film on top of it
- ICW lock wall a 33 minus
- MRGO on south side of Bayou Bienvenue lock wall a 3 plus.
- Had excess to any area, any spot me wanted to fish, no boats in sight, was a little lonely, was nice to know plan “B” was SeaTow if needed.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Scratch the itch me had to fish Michaud Slip and surrounding area
- Put the time and effort to learn how and where to fish Bayou Bienvenue area, add some spot numbers to our already list of spot numbers to fish.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No problem, was moving most of the trip, using trolling motor and wind to keep me going in the direction me wanted to go and at the speed me needed. To troll lure behind the Bay Flat Jr.)
- MOVING WATER: (It took a while for it to start moving, me think around 10:08 Am it started to show sign of moving, me think this may have been the challenge for the day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Over all it was fishable, clean on the surface with a green tint / film on it. You could see the lure down 2-3 feet, but it was like looking through river water, this too may have been another challenge of the day.)
- HOLDING FISH: (What fish?)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed it, but me had all me needed, it like when you doing something you love doing, and the results are less then you expected, but you enjoyed the journey and challenges of the day as much as having great results.)
- SKILL: (Had plenty, but had wrong skill sets, Delcroix skill sets a little different for Bayou Bienvenue skill sets, but me leaning very quickly.)
- LUCK: (It was a very lucky day, did not get that wet, safe trip, leaned some new areas, and got home safe, nothing but good luck this trip.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH HOOKED THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….NOTHING
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….ONLY ONE BITE, AND TIS BE THE LURE THAT GOT IT
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………NOTHING
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # BB1,1B, 1A, 2,3,4, BB9,10,12,15,16,17,,B1,1B,1A,2,3,4, stopped fishing at 11:50 AM.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) NMR Silverwonders
- (1) Bite, casting along the MRGO Southside of wall, threw out a purple beetle, me in 22 feet of water casting to a 15-16 feet shallow side of drop off. It did not take long, felt the tap, set the hook. Me knew me was in trouble real quick, me had picked up the rig with 10# mono, and a very shallow line on spool. Fish started to make a run, low on lie so me grabbed the spool to put a little more pressure on the fish run, popped went the line. Me one and only bite and me did not even get to see it, but it made one day for sure.
- Me was trying the ¾ oz. jig head matched up with the Matrix Shad Lemon drop, was moving along real slow with Yamaha Nightmare Machine, following the drop off in 15 feet of water, when me got a hit, me heart stopped. The hit brought back memories of last year when we were in 3-4 # Silverwodners, it felt just like they did. Only one problem this hit was not moving, and I was willing to catch and release this one bottom me had.
- Next up a bottom with purple beetle, another hook and release.
- Got to scratch me itch for Michaud Slip and Bayou Bienvenue and surrounding areas
- Spending the relaxing morning on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, me.
- Got to expand me comfort zone, did not hit the fog until me reached Dyke canal, and when me made it to MRGO it / me was socked in.
But me had a plan to follow the shore line to get around, however when me got in the middle of MRGO could not see anything.
Me with no compass or GPS in the middle of the fog, now that is not a good sign. Not for the green bridge which me could see high above the fog, me never would have made it. But using that landmark, me found the shoreline, cross over to north side of ICW followed that shoreline to Michaud Slip, no problem.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
The one that got away, me don’t miss many once the hook up, but this Big Boy got away clean.
If you don’t have a compass or a GPS, suggest you at east get a compass, never know when you might get fogged in.
As for fishing, not sure what to suggest. The water is warming up, but me have tried all the skill, Knowledge, and presentations me know and still cannot catch a fish, this be a second trip with nothing to bring home.
However me / we know “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” so ago we will go, always searching for the elusive Silverwonders.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
If fishing knowledge are learned from drubbing, our team is getting a great education
O & A:
When you see a big wave, should you wave back?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Nothing plan, maybe a road trip to Grand Isles, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 1,268 views