Me posted on Tuesday post, had an open Bay Flat Sr for a possible Thursday trip, and got no responses, than around 10 PM got a text, did not see a name, and did not recognize the number. Me text back lets go, and then called the number no answer. Few minutes later me phone rings, hi says me and me met Big Paul for the first time. After a few Q&A it was decided me was to pick Big Paul up at his camp in Reggio, no problems says me, see you around 5:30 to 5:40 AM, called him at 5:15 says me, me down stairs whenever you ready.
Me excited like it be my first blind date, me never know what to expect, and me know how Loveofthepack feels, (she think me going to be killed one day) about me going with fisherpersons me don’t know. Big Paul must be physic, as he asked later in the day, do you ever run across any problems / concerns / bad days / comments with anyone, thought about it for a second, says me, NO! All me experiences have been very enjoyable and pleasurable journeys, and me made a lot of friends.
We relived a few many past trips with out of town, Yankees, foreigners, in town, vintage, youngings, and even the lady type fisherpersons, and they / we always ended as a friends. Even, especially when we did not catch fish, seems they shared the same felling as me for the outdoors and just enjoyed what Mother Nature had to offer, and the Louisiana marsh just as much as me do.
- Monday & Tuesday trip where great, and me so much wanted to go Wednesday, but me had some items to address along with Loveofthepack, and we even got to see Big Vienne (6) play her first ever baseball game, first hit and first time on base, she be a natural player and she & her team (Tigers) is up and coming.
- Got some Intel from Big Gary, (had live shrimp) they went Wednesday, water dirty, lot of grass and all the boats he talked to the average catch was 5-6 Silverwonders for a day of fishing. He said he could not find spot # 51 that we fished the other day.
- Up early for meet up with Big Paul arrive a little early but Big Paul ready to go in no time
- No wild life sighting along Hwy 11 or 90
- Not many boast on Hwy, gas station, and / or boat launches
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, but could not resist Last Stop food store, had a sausage biscuit to whole me over for the day.
- Check point Abel water level down 2-4”
- Check point Bravo tide moving right to left under the bridge, learned form Big Paul it be falling, now that a good sign.
- Reached camp, (nice it be) loaded up the FORD transporter with Big Paul gear, (he be a light carry fisherpersons, me like) off we go.
- Arrived at the home of the Bay Flat Sr, gave the 30 second safety speech, transferred all gear to Bay Flat Sr, shot the coals to the Yamaha Dream Machine, fired right up, she ready to go.
- Made a stop at Lionel’s for some go juice, parking lot empty, and look to be another lonely day on the water, once again me happy to have SeaTwo covering me back.
- Off we go not to plan “A”, but to plan “B” below tells way that decision was made.
- E. wind 6-8, than 10-15 mph, blew hard all day, around noon got some gust 20 to25 mph, wind day it be
- Sunny & clear
- Cool, mild, warm temps, heat jump suit on till around 11 the wind kept us cool all day
- Water Temp 68.3F
- Water level down 2-3”
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7
- Zone 1
- Spot # 18 a 7
- Spot # 61C a 4 minus
- Spot 61 a 3
- Spot 60 a 3
- Spot 21 a 3 minus
- Zone 2
- Spot 5 a 4 minus
- Spot 14 a 4 minus
- Spot 53 a 4
- Spot 51 a 4 minus
- Spot 51C a 3
- Tide start of a falling tide, me think the wind held up the falling tide, but it moved pretty good, around 11:00 tide started to come in, don’t know if the wind pushing it or not.
- No sport boats out and about
- A few commercial boats
- Plenty of red fish boast out and about, must have a tournament this weekend.
- Zone 1
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- During me first conservation with Big Paul he was interested in learning to fish with plastic, seems he be a bait type fisherpersons, and he wanted to see how Team Jo-Jo fish plastic, todays challenge share with Big Paul our techniques & presentations.
- Big Paul says he saw Team Jo-Jo video on RNR on how to rig a beetle and/or Matrix Shad, say he being doing it different all his time, so we rigged the beetle the way he saw on video.
- Give Big Paul the Team Jo-Jo tour of zone 1 & 2, do our milk run for him.
- Try to put a few Silverwodners in the boat for Big Paul take home pleasure.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (S.E. wind me love, no problem had a lot of spots with this conditions, we even got to do the Oak River Troll in a few spots due to the wind and current going in same directions.)
- MOVING WATER: (Tide slow in the AM, picked up as the day went along, had moving water all day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Ranged from 4 to 7 depending on what area you fishing, in the evening we ran back to the area where we had a 7, the Silverwodners where still there, and we caught a few more.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 18, Spot # 51 is where we had a lot of actions, all other where a 1 or 2 Silverwonder)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed some, (re: catching) today, slow now and then, but our conversations, (Family, hunting, fishing, partying, work, etc.) kept us pretty occupied all day, add to that, that Big Paul’s catching action kept us on our toes at each spot)
- SKILL: (Big Paul, (Skills) looking for some teaching on the use of fishing plastics, me feel the day proved that he be the teacher, and me be the leaneree, as it was his kind of day.)
- LUCK: (Perfect weather for a perfect day)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining………………………………… (98%) FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY, BIG PAUL WAS HAVING SOME, A LOT OF SUCCESS IN RELLING IN STEADY AND SLOW.
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(CAUGHT (4) THIS WAY, BIG PAUL LOVING THIS TECHNQUE, AND HE CAUGHT ON REAL FAST TO IT.)
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(CAUGHT (11) OF THE REDS, AND 60% OF THE SILVERWONDERS WITH THIS LURE, BIG PAUL NOW A PURPEL BEETEL BELEAVER, HE STAEYD TRUE TO IT ALL DAY, ME KNOW HE WILL BE LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO BUY THEM SOON.)
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook…………… (40%) OF SILVERWONDERS CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE, AND (2) OF THE REDS TOO.)
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 18B (7)7, C, D, E, 61C, D, 61, 60, 21, 22, 17, 5 (5)t, 14 (6)T, 15, 53 (1)T, 51 (18)T, 53, 51C, 5,14,18b (6)T, C, D, 61C, stooped fishing at 4:00 PM turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick run back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (43) NMR Silverwonders (13) throw backs
- (13) red (10) rat reds, Big Paulk caught a pair of Twins 9# plus
- (1) Drum
- (3) Oysters shell , clusters
- (1) bushel of grass
- (1) bottom
- Saw 10 to 12 alligators they fishing too.
- After Big Gary Intel, and seeing the video on NOLA.com Blasting speckle Trout, me notice they where they fishing me decided to go with plan “B:” rather than plan “A”. Me knew if they catching Silverwodners water clarity had to be good, and the spots for me in past has been all river water, so plan “B: was our move.
- We reached spot 18B, me told Big Paul should be a fish on first cast, first cast me put in 2 ½ to 3 # Silverwonder, as big Paul Trying to asset me, his line out, his pole doubles over he has a solid 15-16 “ Silverwonder himself. What a way to start the day.
- Saw for the first time one of the crazy things me ever saw, Big Paul gets a hit, reels in and there is the BIG Red follow his lure to the boat, the Red is just sitting their at the side of the boat looking at us, and we looking at him, like for 20-30 seconds the BIG Red staring at us.
- Big Paul puts his Matrix Shad Lemon Drop back in the water, moves it left to right, Big Red follows it, Big Paul moves it to the left again, gives it a little twitch, and all hell breaks loose, now we have a fight on our hands, at least Big Paul does. After a good 2 minute struggle and me missing with the net 4 times, (me need a bigger net) we have our first Red for the day aboard the Bay Flat Sr, weighting in at 9.2#, and we have one happy fisherperson too, says he me done me day made.
Latter in the day Big Paul says me glad you did not stop fishing when me said me done made me day, as we still had a lot of action of the day to come.
- Big Paul said he seen this before with Cobia, they will come all the way to the boat and wait for you to drop something over the side and they would hit them, me don’t know what a Cobia is, but if they that brave me down want to meet them in the water,
- Big Paul be and avid deer, duck, and goose hunter, loves to fish, loves his family, job, work, and has one of the best outlook on life, has his priorities right on, planning for the future is one funny fisherperson to fish with.
- Note to better half, me just want to let Big Paul’s better half know, he definitely has one friend, which be me. And me know he has many others too.
- Spending a relaxing day on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big Paul.
- Creating a Purple Beetle believer, user / specialist, may the both have a great relationship and a good run in life?
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
If you read any of the above, you should know by now, but if not let me run down the tally for you,
(11) Reds, (60) % of the Silverwodners, this alone would qualify for fisherperson of the day, add to that the character / personality of the fisherperson and you have our winner for the day
Fish to have fun, catch if catch can, just sit back and enjoy the journey.
Bites early, bites late??????? Big Cisco said he had 50 by 10 AM, Saw Capt Jack coming in at 3:30 he running down twin pipeline, me suggest you go out early, figure them out and fish till they bite or you had enough of a great time on the water.
Big Paul & Oneofthepack talked about limits (re: Silverwodners) says me, it takes the fun out of fishing, me know for a fact about me, when limits where 50, if me had 3 people on board use to stay out until we had 50 each, now at 25 same way. Most, a lot of fisherperson, (as do me) see limits as a goal at which they have to achieve, told Big Paul me seen meself stay out for hours to catch one more Silverwonder to make the limit. Many moons ago me would fish, catch what catch can and come in, whatever me had was satisfactory, no limit / goal to achieve, it was a much relaxing time of fishing for me.
As me age like bad wine, me priority / challenges have changed somewhat, but being a very competitive person, me still have the urges to achieve the goal, but me mellowing out a little more and just plain enjoying outing for what it is one with mother nature, me say this so others don’t have to wait 30-40 years to figure this out.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
A psychiatrist is a person who will give you expensive answers that you can get from your fisherperson partner for free.
O & A:
If Santa knew who was good and who was bad why don’t they use him in courts?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Off the water for 7-8 days, me hope me can survive, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 767 views