Today was our long awaited trip with this crew, Big William, (aka Oneofthepack2 grandsonofthepack) Big Ty (Big William best friend), Big Scott (Big Ty dad) Big Dale (Big Scott’s dad, & Big Ty granddad) and Oneofthepack.
Our trip would have been made earlier, but we were trying to have it coincide with Big Ty’s birthday, as Big Ty got a brand new rod & reel for his birthday, and we all wanted to be with him when he caught his first fish on it.
So Saturday we all piled into the Bay Flat Sr for a fun day on the water down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Me off the water for (2) consecutive days, not a good sign
- Had a great Thanksgiving dinner with family & friends
- Eat too much
- Rested up Friday for today’s trip, made a run to GUS to buy some tackle for bottom fishing, than on to Kenny’s seafood for 5 pounds of dead fresh shrimp.
- Good night sleep, up early Friday 2:30 Am FOR A 5:00 Am meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor, once me wake up no going back to sleep.
- Quick breakfast for me & crew and us on our way.
- Passed on McDonnel le, Last Stop food store, did make a stop for some ice.
- Check point Able water level down a little
- Check point Bravo no water moving at Reggio canal, slack tide had we.
- Arrived at the home of the Bay Flat Sr, gave the 2 minute safety speech re: crossing Hwy & dock around boat, space between it.
- With a crew of 4 it did not take no time to load the Bay Flat Sr up, and with, (as usual) one turn of the key the Yamaha Dream Machine fired up and ready to go.
- Passed on Lionel’s we had all we needed for our fun day
- Off to spot # 20 to start our journey
- Wind at start 3-6 mph S.S>E., than SW, than N, than NW it kind of moved around all morning / day.
- Sunny & Clear
- Cold temps in the AM, cool, mild, warm, down right hot when sitting in the son, but as soon as we ran boat it got cool again.
- Water level down 2-3”
- Water temp 55.6F
- Tail end of a rising tide, than started to fall, fell all day, still falling when we called it a day around 1:50 PM
- Water clarity of a scale of 1-7 was a 2 plus, this about the same all over, best looking water was in Grand Lake and Alligator Pass but no one fishing it.
- Boats, did not bother to count them but uneducated guess would have been 200 plus running around, all spots where occupied, it was hard press to find a wet spot without a boat fishing it. We found a spot and hunkered down me it for the day.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Me knew it was not going to be another Silverwodners day, hence way me bought 5 pounds of dead bait, figured we would find a post and milk it dry on catch what catch can, just looking for some action, spices not be main factor of this trip.
- Put Big Ty of some fish, (me think he caught in the 40-50 range) so he could break in is new pole
- Put Big Scott on some fish so he can see ow much Delacroix has to offer
- Bring Big Dale to help take care of crew, he has one trip as first mate under his belt, he is a quick leaner, and a good teacher of the young.
- Check out Big William to see if he still remembers all the Oneofthepack has presented to him in past trips, he still got it.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Not problem, fish anywhere, anyplace, we not using lures today, wind not that much a factor with dead bait.
- MOVING WATER: (No problem tail end of a rising tide, start of a falling tide, it don’t get any better than this, moved all day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not a factor fishing with dead bait, but would have like to see it a little clear. Grand Lake, and Alligator Pass looked real good, did anybody fish that area/))
- HOLDING FISH: (#20 & 64B they were stacked up, me mean stacked up)
- PATIENTS: ( Not needed first cast Big William brought in a rat red, it was on, on, on after that, we left them biting.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID NOT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………9 % of fish caught this way
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….5 Silverwonders
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….1 Silverwonder
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………Nothing
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 20 5t, 21 1t, 2A occupied, 64B, stopped fishing around 1:50 turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride across Grand Lake.
- Lived to fish another day
- ( 8 ) NMR Silverwonders
- (60) reds
- (1) Stripe Bass
- (1) Bass
- 21 Drum
- (4) Croakers
- (1) Freshwater Drum
- (20) Freshwater Cats
- (2) Sting Rays
- (7) Crabs
- (2) Bushels of grass Big Ty had the biggest grass brought in
- (5) Bottoms
- (6) Popped lines
- (6) Tangled lines
- (2) extra poles
- Big Dale & Oneofthepack got a lot of not much needed experience of tying and retying lines, and rigging Carolina rigs.
- Big Dale & Oneofthepack also got a lot of experience of taking fish off, and baiting lines
- And we both are now experts of removing cat fish from the hook
- Watching the boys catch, catch & catch, smile on their faces & creating memories all day long, me know Big Dale & me enjoyed watching them improve their skills, (bating, casting, reeling them in) as the day went along, now our challenge is to teach them how to get the fish off in a quick motion.
- Teaching the 9 year olds Big William and Big Ty the art of the voice activated power pole, this me enjoyed, a lot.
- Best sandwiches, snacks, drinks me every had, thanks Big Scott & Big Dale you guys made the day
- Spending the day with family & friends, some of the best fisherperson me know and then some.
- Meeting Big Tucker, he be the future, keep it up Big Guy
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Let’s narrow down the field real quick, Big Dale & Oneofthepack where very busy, but with only a little fishing, so we can exclude he and me from the honors for today.
Big Scott was at a little disadvantage as he was on the bow and with the current going from bow to stern it was hard for him to fish and stay om / in the strike zone, but latter in the day Big Scott got on a run, but as they say, too little too late. Me know next time out Big Scott will be in the hunt.
Big Ty was right up with Big William, they each caught species the other did not, Big Ty had his share of reds, drums, cat fish, trout, & he excelled in the grass category, but it was so close to call.
Big William caught the Stripe Bass, Bass, Big Red an many reds, but me think Big Scott lead him in the Drum & Cat Fish category, once again it was going to be a very close call.
So as we always do abroad the Bay Flat Sir, we had to create a tie breaker, it was agreed Big Ty, and Big William where in a dead heat, it was also agreed by all the way to resolved this tie was to have a fish off.
Seeing show Big Scott was handicapped a little, (0n bow) it was agreed he would be included in the fish off for the honors of the day.
Fish off rule, of the three mates who ever caught 5 fish first would be fisherperson of the day, all agreed.
Big William jumped out first, then another he caught, Big Scott caught one, Big William another, Big hooked (3) lost at boat, made a comment about his corner man (Big Dale) Big Ty puts one in the boat, Big William not looking back in came # 4 shortly after that # 5, Big William fisherperson of the day. But even his was over taken by Big Tucker, Big Tucker walked away with the trophy.
Bird’s area stacked & diving in Oak River from North /south Pipeline to Barge Canal, me think this might be a good spot to start.
Me think Grand Lake & alligator Pass with that good looking water has to be holding some Silverwonders.
Best me can tell an average good trip would be 20 -3 Silverwodners for the day, this after talking to a number of fisherpersons.
Buy 2 cups, (one of a spare) of cup grease, apply freely along gunnel of both sides of your boat so you can slide in-between all the boats in Oak River and surrounding areas.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“Fishing is 90 percent mental. The other half is crazy.”
O & A:
If fisherperson decide that they indecisive, which one are they?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Just woke up, me stay home and rest tomorrow, next week looks busy may ne off the water for a while, note me said may be.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 672 views