Blue Monday, only if you not retired and have great fisherpersons that have put in there time / years in the work world, like our crew for today Big Gary & Big PJ, and now it is our time to relax, & enjoy life as we mellow our way through our remaining years chasing Silverwodners.
- Saturday spent the day in baseball park, round robin, double elimination (4) in a row (9) year old baseball tournament in Mississippi, what a tournament, our team, (Clutch) won 2 lost 2. But just like fishing the more you go / play the better you will get, and this young men are getting better and better every game, and so it eh competition.
- Sunday we eat, drank, hunted Easter (50) money) eggs, hunted, (hot & cold technique) Easter (13) baskets, taught the boys how to shoot, (along with respect of the gun and safety of its use) their BB guns, and then went back to eating, drinking, and having some great dessert. Loveofthepack out did herself, (she be mother/wifeoftheday) she orchestrated this event from Friday to LATE (10:30 PM) Sunday, me know she be tired, and me tired just watching her do her thing, many thanks to Loveoftheapck for all her time and effort in making our Easter journey a very special one.
- Up at 4 AM for our 5 AM meet up with Big PJ at his abode we schedule to pick up Big Gary at 5:30 AM at Team Jo-Jo official meeting pace, Waffle House in Chalmette.
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, but did see a very BIG dead Hawk in the middle of the road, very intimidating looking bird
- Me did not see many boats along Hwy, gas stations, and boat lunches, but Big Gary said he counted plenty while waiting for us.
- Passed on eating at Waffle House, McDonnel, and Last Stop food store, we on mission, and we needed a very early start to catch the tail end of a falling tide
- Check point Abel water level up 6-8”
- Check point Bravo, no water moving at Reggio canal, not a good sign
- Huston we have a problem, Hwy to Delacroix blocked, guides & fisherperson getting ready to depart from guide barge, they sure had a lot of fisherperson out and about the road & dock.
- Made it to the home of the Bay Flat Sr, had a line of vehicles behind us about 7 cars deep had to use turning singe s they don’t run over us.
- Gave the 2 minute refresh safety course to the crew.
- Loaded up the Bay Flat Sr, hit the Yamaha Dream Machine key, she fired right up off we go.
- Passed on Lionel we had all we needed on board the Bay Flat Sr
- Off to spot # 51D-1 to start our day of fishing.
- S.E wind clam than 10-12 as the day went along
- Had some clouds but mostly sunny & clear
- Mild temps, than around 10:30 AM crew and me start to pull off clothes, we had a boat load of clothes sitting in & around the Bay Flat Sr. As they day went along, more and more clothes came off, it got down right hot.
- Water temp 70.3F
- Water level up 6-8”
- Tail end of a falling tide, me mean we had maybe 15-20 minutes of a falling tide, then slack till around 10:45 AM, very slow period during this time, picked du when the tide started to move in
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7
- Spot # 51D-1 A 6 plus looked real good
- Four Horse a 6 minus
- Spot # 51, 52, 53, & 54, a 6, green and clean
- We got caught in the morning run of pleasure boast & guides going out to fish, as we anchored up, there must have been 15-20 boats pass us, some slow, some fast, and as always the half fast boat throwing a 3 foot wave.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Introduce Big PJ & Big Gary to zone 5 of our fishing territory, this be the first time we headed out to zone 5 on our map.
- See if the Silverwodners wanted to come out and play early at spot 51D-1
- Do some running and try to find new and old areas to fish, look for deep holes and drop offs.
- Still could not find pass in Four Horse to Lake Pato Caballo, me been theri6-8 times, but it was 35-30 years ago. The mouth had a real deep channel and a very good drop off to fish
- Put some fish in the box for the crew to enjoy with their families.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No problem with a south wind we had plenty fishing holes to get out of the wind, and when the tide started to come in we could do the Oak River Troll technique.
- MOVING WATER: (Caught the tail end of a tied, we threw out 2 Cajun anchors, before the anchor line got tight, we had a triple hook up, then another triple, hook, it was hot and furious for a few minutes, then the boats started to come by, tide slacked and that was that . We ran around trying to find an area where the bayou / canal would be chocked down and we would have some moving water, but it was a slacked tide all over. We start to see sings of the water starting to come in, saw a couple of current lines this is when the Silverwodners wanted to come out and play some more.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Best consistent looking water me have seen in a long time, areas we fished had a 6plus to 6 on scale of 1 to 7, great looking water all over.)
- HOLDING FISH: (51D-1 (16)T, 52 (28)T, 51D-1 (10) T we had mini crazy (15) minutes at each spot)
- PATIENTS: ( At first it was on, on, on, then came the slack tide, needed some patients here, so me ran around trying to keep the crew interested with a new spot along the way. Then the tide came in and it was on, on, on, again, but it was short burst of action, quick and fast, on and off in minutes, crew did a great job in taking advantage of the on time of the feeding frenzy.)
- SKILL: (Having patients to wait for the feed time, locating the Silverwonders in an old fishing hole with a great drop off in 15-16 feet of water, pass knowledge & experience of fishing zone 5 on the map.)
- LUCK: (Find a spot that was holding Silverwonders)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………98% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(3) CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………(1) CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(10) caught with this lure
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………(65) caught with this lure
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot 51D-1 (16)t, 51C (8)t, 51B, 51A (1)t, 51E (1)t, 51F (1)t, 53, 54 (1)t, 52 (28)T, 52A (5)t, 51 (2)t, 52 (2)t, 50, 51C (8)t, 51D-1 (3)t, stopped fishing at 1:45 PM, turned the Bay Flat Sr north, then west for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (76) NMR Silverwonders (19) throw backs
- (6) NMR missed at boat
- (1) Gaff Top
- (1) Crab
- (1) Oyster shell
- (1) Bushel of grass
- (2) Bottoms (2) popped lines
- Great food, snacks, drinks as provide by Big Gary, thanks man they were great.
- Me kind of trip, trash talk we had it going all day long, me like a trip where the crew can share their thoughts without no one misunderstanding their intentions, and their intentions was to get in your head, and get you off your quest for the Silverwodners.
- We each got on a roll, this when the trash talk was at its peak, we each got roasted, and we each had a turn to share a well worded comment for the others to interoperate its meaning.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Trash talk over, now for the real meaning of the day, who be fisherperson of the day, with some of the best fisherpersons me know on board the Bay Fla Sr, it was going to be a close call.
Big Gary had his moments, put some real BIG girls in the boat, his quality of Silverwonders was only out did by his quantity. BUT the truth be none, me think he spent to much time with the H&H purple beetle, instead of the Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, as today was a Matrix Shad Lemon drop type day, thus he influence his run for the fisherperson of today honors in a way as such he not be it today.
As for Big PJ, we called him the STEALTH fisherperson, shows no emotions when he be got one on, like he don’t want you to know so you won’t jump in his spot, (I’m sure you fisherpersons know this type) he be the silent strong type fisherperson, he too had his seconds of the minutes of the crazy mini minutes we had today. But he needed minutes of the mini crazy minutes, not seconds of them, plus Big Gary felt he needed to be penalized for not being able to throw a Silverwonder in the ice chest 3 feet from him. Big Gary was a little handicapped having to pick up Big PJ fish and put in the ice chest for him. Me told Big Gary he doing it on purpose to slow him down, me got in both their head with that comment.
Which leaves us Oneofthepack, enough said, me was all over any & all mini crazy 15 minutes , and me did not care if me made the Silverwodners into the box, me would pick them up after feed times was over, this strategy / technique me feel lead me to fisherperson of the day. Plus me boat, me Capt, me can make this call if me want too, crew had no comments on same, may be cause me not ask them.
Bite where early, real early, only because the tail end of falling tide, me would rather be early out and about, and fish me way into finding the Silverwodners that want to come out to pay, rather then to try and figure out the feed time and be there at that time, me fish me way into them. Just keep fishing still you reach / find that crazy 15 minutes of catching.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
You must fish up to be heard but sometimes you must shut up to fish.
O & A:
What do most fisherpersons do with good advice?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Me be off the water for a few, hope to be back at them soon, stay tune for open Bay Flat Sr post with first mate welcome, me be looking for company to search for the elusive Silverwonders, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 691 views