Trip today was a trip of destiny, just had to bring in the new year of 2019 with catching some Silverwonders on day one of the year. Me thought me was going to have to do it solo, but Big Don was looking to make a trip to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island, but me talked him into a trip aboard the Bay Flat Jr, to Big Bud’s (aka Eastofmrgo) favorite 5 mile reef, trestles along the train bridge in Lake P.
- Went to bed early 11:30 skipped the party at Daughterofthepack, me not feeling good, and me finger was experiencing a little hurt.
- Went to bed early, did not even hear the fireworks
- Up at 4 AM for our 6 AM meet up
- Stuck me head out of the door hoping / looking for fog, had liquid fog it be
- Had to leave Big Lucy home, Bay Flat Jr a 2 person boat, not good.
- Made a stop for ice & snacks, bought one of those fried apple pies, one that is trying to replace Hubie, forget, it did not even have any apple in it, wasted $2.85.
- Made it to the launch, just sat in truck to see what the rain was going to do, Big don looked at his watch 6:35 it be, pulled up backed Bay Flat Jr done the launch, got all our gear situated, and launched her.
- One pull on the Yamaha Nightmare Machine to start her up, she must have still been hot from yesterday trip.
- Once again it be raining as we left the dock, not a good sign.
- Before you know it, all 2 minutes of a boat ride we in the 5 mile honey hole.
- North wind 4-5 MPH, perfect it be
- Light ripples on the water, perfect be it
- Cloudy & overcast all morning / day
- Must have went through 6-8 rain clouds, but it be only drizzling, not hard rain
- Rain most of the day, and rain went we stopped fishing at 1:00 Pm
- Mild temps
- Kept me jumpsuit on all day, even put me rain jacket on to stop from getting to wet
- Water level same as yesterday up 12-14”
- Tide falling all morning
- Water temp 61F
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 4 plus, clean, clear, but sandy looking, you could see the lure down 12 – 14”
- Had a lot of plants / pods on top of the water from FB-1 to FB-4, Lake P was loaded with the stuff, anyone know what you call them?
- Camagrants where out in full force talking to one another, me started to answer them, but me ting we don’t speak the same language.
- No boats out and about had the whole area to ourselves, around noon they started to show up, had 4-5 out and about, and did not see them catch anything.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine, one pull to start her today.
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Introduce Big Don
- To Lake P fishing
- To Lake P rig, 3/4oz. round lead jig head with Matrix Shad Lemon drop lure
- To the best rod, reel & line to use for Lake P trolling
- To Lake P trolling technique
- To Lake P Silverwonders
- Keep up me continuing education of the ways of fishing / caching in Lake P
- Locate and identify under water hooks ups, as to miss them on future trolling
- Catch some fish so Big Lucy will have something to put in all her salads, as me understand it, her inventory of fish at an all-time low.
- Achieve me quest to catch fish / Silverwonders on the 1st day of the New Year
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (This criteria not a factor today, north wind perfect direction to move us along the trestles, and if we had to cast, it still would not have an impact on fishing with lures)
- MOVING WATER: (Falling all day, seem to get a little stronger as the day went along, it kept of jig heads bouncing off of the trestles pilings, even some times helping us hook up on them)
- WATER CALRITY: (Me think it was a little off, yesterday, it black, clear, and clean the way me like it, today had that sandy look to it, me think this criteria added to the challenge of catching today.)
- HOLDING FISH: (FB 2 to FB 5, west side of trestles)
- PATIENTS: ( Did not take long for the first bite, then 2 came in the boat within 15 minutes of our start, but after that we earned whatever we caught, slow and steady, always 1 or 2 on a troll from FB 2 – FB 5, we trolled both north & south direction back & forth along the west side of the trestles.)
- SKILL: (Mastering the combination of speed, amount of line out, presentation, angel to trestles, and playing Russian Roulette with the pilings, and not hook up on them)
- LUCK: (Archive our 2019 quest for day one of the new year)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………WE GAVE THIS A SHOT AS A BREAK, NOT EVEN A BITE HAD WE
- Drift with wind & cast & retrieve:…………….DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….ALL SILVERWONDERS CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………(7) CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE & POWER PRO LINE (2) CAUHT WITH PURPEL & LEAD CORE LINE
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Lake P FB-2 to FB-5 west side of trestles.
- Lived to fish another day
- (9) NMR Silverwonders
- BIG fish popped our line
- Lost one reeling in
- 9 pilings w/ 5 popped lines
- (3) Bottoms 2 popped lines
- (1/2) bushel of grass
- Bay Flat Jr got a good washing from the rain
- Rain negated me from having to take a bath tonight
- Cool, humid, wet day on the water, what a feeling, felt so good, so alive
- No snacks, no drinks, no food, we on mission to catch our 2019 day 1 fish.
- Got some salad makers for Big Lucy
- Got to see Big Don catch his first Lake P Silverwonder
- Got to see Big Don catch his first Silverwonder doing the Lake P troll
- Got to see Big don face, (priceless) when he hooked up on pilins, he sets the hook reel good on those
- Spending the day o eh water with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big Don be that
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Lest just say it be Big Don with this technique / presentation, and that he not be Big PJ, but it will not take long for Big don catch up with Big PJ & Oneofthepack.
If you gong you give trolling a try, stay with, stay the course and believe you can make it happen.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
The trick in fishing is learning how to deal with it.
O & A:
Is it better for a fisherperson to have a broad knowledge base or a deep knowledge base?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Work tomorrow, Big Don & Big Lucy, Bay Flat Sr, we be heading Delacroix way Thursday, we want to confirm reports of Silverwodners being caught that way, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 547 views