Today’s trip was for fins of a different color, Big Capt Don was taken me on a journey through the canals & sloughs off the IWC in search of the Red & Green fish spices, and/or whatever we could catch.
We plan he trip last week, decided Tuesday would the best day for both of us to make it, and be able to keep up with our daily lives, (honey dues, grandkids, partying, entertainment, & sleep) we both agreed we need to make a fishing trip now and then to keep our head straight.
• Had a great trip with the teenagers Sunday, wet we be, fun we had
•Team Jo-Jo meet with the crew that has committed, (put up their money) for our Chandelier Trip in October, we have (8) signed up need (2) more too meet minimum (10) crew size, boat holds (12) so if any of you fisherperson looking to make an overnight trip to the Chandeliers, email us email@example.com and we will email you the info. Trip planned for Oct 15, 16, & 17 of this year.
• Could not sleep up at 1 AM for 5:30 AM meet up, me be tried today
• Easy trip, me not the Capt, Big Capt Don be, he had all the responsibility of creating a great trip, and a great trip had we.
• Reached Fort Pike, boat launched, engine running, handed me my life jacket, assigned me a place to sit, sky had a little light in it, cool breeze in our face, and then we were off to our first hot spot for the day
• Smooth ride out, me no have a clue where we running, made a turn here, made a turn there, and we were in the ICW in no time.
• Time to run the interior canals and fish / catch.
• S.S.W. wind clam, 6-8 MPH later in the day
• Sunny & clear
• Cool, mild, warm, warmer, hot, temps, red button popped out around 11 AM
• Water temp 87.6F
• Water level down 6”
• Tide rising, got stronger as the morning went along
• Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 7 plus.
o Lake Catharine a 7
o ICW a 7
o Unknown pass a 6
o Lake Borgne & Unknown 7 plus
o Gohagen Canal 6 plus
• Saw 5 boats out and about
• Not much grass, (to my surprise) Big Capt Don thins the heat may have burned it off
• Little bumpy ride back to Fort Pike
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
• Be safe
• Have fun
• Put some run time Capt Don lake skiff flat, he too has a Yamaha Dream Machine, real nice rig and he know how to handle them both
• This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
• Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
• Find them red & green color fish
• Fire up me internal GPS, learn the areas we run and the strike zones we fished
• See how it feels to be first mate on a trip, me think me relay like the feeling
• Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
1 WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind not a problem, we inside of closed in area, wind not a factor.)
2 MOVING WATER: (Perfect start of a rising tide, but me think a falling tide would have been better, Big Capt Don he to think that way)
3 WATER CALRITY: (No problem, water clarity like his a 6-7, if only we could have this type down in Delacroix, me would have all the confidence in the world of fishing/ catching in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.)
4 HOLDING FISH: (Me don’t think this area lends itself to schooling fish, to shallow, cuts & points are the strike zones)
5 PATIENTS: ( Little slow, action a little slower, but just trying to observe & learn as much as me could kept me alert & interested in the trip as a whole.)
6 SKILL: (Having a Capt like Big Don, his knowledge / skills are at a much higher level than that of Oneofthepack, he be top of the line fisherpersons)
7 LUCK: (Mother Nature & Fish God, they both be ladies and gave us this beautiful day to fish and enjoy the outdoors.)
• Trolling motor running, cast & steady retrieve with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
• Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
• Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
• Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
• Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
• Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
• Dead bait………NONE
• Live bait…………………NONE
• LURE DU JOURE:
• 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….NOTHING
• 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
• Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NTO TRY
• Mr. Twister spinner bait (see picture) w/1/8 oz. Head caught all but 1 fish
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
ICW, cuts off ICW, Lake Borgne, Gohagen canal
• Lived to fish another day
• (1) Silverwonders
• (1) Red
• (4) Bass
• (1) Bushel of grass
• Having Big Capt Don to treat me like a special guest and just not like a crew member, me have knee that was acting up, Big Capt Don, netted, unhooked me fish, and out them in the ice chest for me so I did not have to get around in the boat, just sat in me seat, Big Capt don took care of everything, guess you could say me as a kept fisherpersons.
• Big Capt Don provided the food, drinks, snacks, lures, boat, life jacket, thanks Big Capt Don
• As Karma would have it, what comes around goes around, when it came time to settle up, and me asked what me owed him, says he “Hand shake & a smile”
• Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Not too often me can have this opportunity when fishing with Big Capt Don, so me going to take it, me be fisherperson of the day, today, but there is always tomorrow and me know next trip will be a challenge for the honors.
Have to give a thank you to Big Eastofmrgo for pointing out Big Capt Don weak spots when fishing, it aided me to today in me quest for the honors.
If catching is your thing, might just want to wait to fall, but if you enjoy the outdoors, Mother Nature, wildlife, and the comradery of fellow fisherperson, “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” and be it known, this trip be a great journey / outing for me.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“You have power over your ability – not outside environments. Realize this, and you will find success.”
O & A:
How do you know when it is time to change your lure?
TEAM JO-JO’S FUTURE STRATAGEM:
Nothing plan, when the urge comes, me go, should be able to last a day or two without being on the water.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 654 views