Oneofthepack got to meet (2) new fisherpersons, (Big Ed (Mississippi) & Big Gary (Metairie) today. They responded to request on rodnreel.com for a first mate, we hooked up on rodnreel.com last week and schedule a trip to our Disney World for this morning
- Attended the Local # 60, (Plumbers & Pipe Fitters local) Capt meeting , (re: fishing rodeo Saturday) Friday evening at the Rigolets, lots of crawfish, corn, potatoes, and sausages, and all the beer & drinks you get eat / drink.
- Plan “A” was to fish with Big Andree, Big Tony, and Big Dominick. In Lake P Saturday, but 4:30 AM, (not much sleep back hurt all night) Saturday me could not stand up, back went out, had to call Big Andrew and cancel out.
- Up at 8:30 AM, back still hurting, went to club to use hot tub & steam room. Both closed on a Saturday. As the day went along the pain seem to die down a little.
- Off to the Casino to play some cards, the only fishes at the table was me, myself, and I.
- Up bright and early Sunday, Loveofthepack had a day plan for us, first off Sanger to see play ”Finding Neverland” then diner at Italian restaurant, mother’s day, it bit crowded.
- Crashed around 10:30 PM Sunday, up early 3:45 AM to make todays trip, Big Gary & me to meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor Slidell.
- We both meet up with Big Gary at Waffle House in Chalmette.
- No breakfast, past on McDonnel, Last Stop p food store, we on a mission.
- Forgot to check out check point Able & Bravo, in a hurry to get to slip
- No boats on Hwy, gas stations, or boat launches
- Big Ed drove down, he ran his Big Truck up to the camper trailer, and me asked that he not run into same, no problem we did top short of running into it.
- Skipped the safety talk
- Threw the gear into the Bay Flat Sr
- Yamaha Dream Machine fired up with one turn of the key, we off to Lionel’s.
- Made stop at Lionel’s to say high, and look at the map of Delacroix with Big Ed, showed him the route we would be taken.
- Off to spot 18 E to start our day.
- E.N.E. wind clam then 6-8 mph, perfect
- Sunny & clear
- Mild , warm, hot temps, red button almost popped out in some places out of the wind
- Water level up a foot
- Water temp 78.7 F
- Tail end of a falling tide, it did turn around about 10:10 Am or so
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
Spot # 18 E a 3, 61 C 2plus, 61 2 plus, 60 2 plus, 20 a2, 21 a2, 22 a2, 23, a2, 17 a3, 2, & 1 a 2, 14 a3, 15, 5a 2minus, 2 A, 18 E a4 got better, 61 C a 2 got worst, 18 E a 4, stopped fusing around 12:20 pm, turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick bumpy ride back to the slip.
- Only saw one boat out and about in the area we fishing
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Big Ed called his quest was he be interested on / in learning how to run around Delacroix, so me asked if he had a GPS, no but have a smart phone, so we ran sound to all our spots, locked them in on the GPS, showed him where and how to positon boat and where the strike zones where on spots in zone # 1. Me think he well satisfied with today’s tour & results of same.
- Big Gary quest / interest for the day was a little different, Big Gary familiar with Delacroix, he looking for a new fishing partner, as his present one gave up fishing. So you could say today was like on the dating sites, we to meet (mutual corner) and confirm all the lies we told ach other where true or false, before we started a lengthy fishing journey now the road.. Based on the trip and the outcome, me think Big Gary & Oneofthepack are very compatible, who knew rodnreel.com would become a match maker of a fishing affair!!
- Checked out crew gear they had swivels, snaps, leader lines on their rig, me suggested the cut all that off and tie their lure direct to the line, no additional accessories needed, thus they did.
- Put the crew on some Silverwodners & reds, not get skunked
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (E.N.E. at 6-8 mph, like a dream come true, wind no problem today, it even helped us with the Oak River Troll in many spots. You could fish any shoreline, any angel you wanted wind no problem.)
- MOVING WATER: (Tail end of a falling tide, great, even caught the start of the rising tide, water moving most of the day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Orange Bayou & Oak River along with spot # 18 E had the best looking water, all other areas not to good.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 18 E had a few, 61C had a few, even caught 3 at spot # 14, this a very good sign. But they not schooled up and the bites where very slow, most fish caught in early AM.)
- PATIENTS: (Slow action, crew started to dig in tackle box to find magic lure, ran around a little to keep them busy and interested in the fishing part of the day, needed some patient today for sure.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining (20)t
- Oak River Troll (ORT) (9) T
- We did the (ORT) at spot # 18 E early in the morning, both Big Gary & Big Ed where / are / is BIG fans of this technique, they looked forward to this technique at every spot we stopped at.
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) did not try
- Oak River Skim (ORS) did not try
- Cork nothing
- Dead bait, (nothing) Big Gary felt he needed some help / edge in the quest for Fisherperson the day.
- Live bait none
lure du jour:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook. (9) t
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook. Did not try.
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook (20)t
- Crew tried different lures, and caught a few, but their heart was with the 3” H&H purple beetle, and / or the Matrix Shad Lemon Drop as thy kept coming back to them.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot 18 E (16) t, 61 C (9) t, 61,60,20,21, 17, 14 (4) t, 5, 6, 2A, 18D, 18E (1) t, 61 C, 18 E, stopped fishing at 12:10 PM back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (29 ) Silverwonders, (6) throw backs
- (7) Reds (3) throw backs
- (2) croakers (on lures)
- (1) Niddle fish
- (2) Oyster Shells
- (1) Crab trap
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Great food, drinks, & snacks thanks to Big Gary, way to go Big Gary
- Spending the day on the water with 2 knew fisherpersons to have fish with Team Jo-Jo, many thanks to rodnrteel.com for the opportunity for us fisherperson to hook up on a trip.
- Sharing the Bay Flat Sr with 2 of the best fisherpersons that me meet today, looking forward to a repeat trip soon
- Having, (on the way home) a hamburger at Waffle House with Big Ed, we marked up his map that he bought, (today) of Delacroix.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until he next one:
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Very, very, very, close call today, it was a slow day, and it took patients, determination, finesse, tact, delicacy, adroitness, savoir-fair, and most important skill.
Big Gary (he brought the food and drinks) got extra points for his kindness, he managed to get into the Silverwonders some, and even caught a red. However even with the added points, me think he came up just a little short in the quest for Fisherperson of the day. BUT be assured he gave a heartfelt effort, his gear gave him a little challenge at times and he lost some time valuable time during the bite zones.
Oneofthepack just could not get on a roll, my technique was a little off, me too added to the Silverwonder creel, and had a red or two, but me to also fell short for fisherperson of the day, me came in a close last for the day.
As me always do, my first look at me fishing partner is his gear, especially his rod & reels, this tells me a lot about how the day will go, and what chance me have of being fisherperson of the day. Once me saw Big Ed’s rods & reels (both a stiff rod with bait casters, both of them) me knew he was going to be at a very big disadvantage. When I saw his casting distance, once again me knew he was at a disadvantage. At our first stop, he sked if he could use one of my rigs, no problems says me, but he did not use it ling, back to the bait caster), He managed to catch a couple, but when we hit spot # 61 C he got on a roll, me almost sat in his lap. Nothing I did would produce a Silverwonder, and Big Gary was in the same boat as me. Big Ed whipped me with a bait caster, not cool, but he did it with grace, no trash talk just steady fishing & catching he did. Big Ed fisherperson of the day,….TODAY that is there is always tomorrow.
Bites where early, water is dirty, (don’t know where the river water coming from, but it is all over inside) in zone 1 & 2, not sure areas west of Twin Pipeline and / or Black Bay.
Get an early start, fish hard, and persevere!
PONDER OF THE DAY:
A fisherperson without a catching history is like a boat without a motor.
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Wednesday fish with Mike L & Norman, Thursday with Big Bud, that’s the plan unless Loveofthepack has a plan “B” for me, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 716 views