No first mate responded, me got up at 4:00 AM (internal clock) me go right back to bed, had no commitments for a crew so why go. 6:00 AM rolls around, me thinking why do me have to do early (4 AM) trip, but me till not fired up about going. Me get up and start me routine, check winds, weather, tides, water level, fishing sites, then me look at rodnreel.com, which is ALL it took to get me in the mood to go fishing. Me decide to do another Solo trip to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Dr. Appointment Monday
- Met some co-workers at the shop, we all went to launch.
- Got a call from Big Judy, she cancelled out for today
- Me lost interest in fishing today with no crew and/or first mate, but that did not last long.
- Loaded up the FORD transporter, and out the door me went at a real early start, 6:50 AM
- As me crossed the Hwy 11 bridge me counted (69) boats along the trestles, most where from north shore to mile makers 175, (they had 6 boats clustered around 175) and the majority of them where on the west side of the trestles, tide must have been coming in. East side was wide open for trollers, but did not seen any trolling. Can only imagine what the weekend will be like.
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
- First good sign of the day, when me made a stop to pick up ice at self-serve ice house, they had a big bag of ice just lying there. Me looked around no one around, in the box it goes. Then a gentlemen pulls up, me ask was that your ice, no says he, me knew this was the start of a lucky day.
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, and Last Stop food store
- Check pint Abel water level still low
- Check point Bravo, tide coming in at Reggio Canal, good sign this be.
- Me at boat slip, before lowing Bay Flat Sr down me raised the Yamaha Dream Machin, because the water was low, and me had very little water in the slip.
- Motored pass Lionel’s, had all that was need on board so did a drive by and head to Spot # 64 to start me day.
- Wind E.S.E 8-10 mph, perfect it be
- Sunny & clear
- Cool, mild, warm, hot, but with the low humidity it was a good feeling type heat.
- Water temp 79.0 F
- Water level up 6” from last time
- Tide rising tide all day, it was strange in Oak River it was coming in, in the cuts that dump into Oak River no moving water, me cannot figure that out.
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
- Spot 64 1 plus
- Spot 61 C 3
- Spot 18 3
- Spot 17 (Point Fienne) 4
- Me saw only 1 boat ALL day
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL, (physical / Mental) me aliments
- Run the Milk run to gather Intel and see how all the other spot numbers looked / and what type action we have at them.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (E.S.E. at 8-10 was perfect, this type wind works well with the Oak River Troll in many of our spot numbers. The area me fishing wind no factor at all, got me to thinking what is worst, high winds or no wind at all, as for me, me like some wind all the time.)
- MOVING WATER: (Tide rising, but where me at it not moving in the cut, Oak River water moving in pretty good. Came up all day, when the water stopped at me first spot me started to run around, found that the wind was moving water in a number of spots, Point Fienne had a good incoming tide, with an east wind, perfect condition to do the Oak River Troll.)
- WATER CALRITY: (This was a little challenge for today, but the fish did not seem to mind it, but when the water stopped moving it got real dirty fast, thus why me start to move around.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 61 C crazy (25) minutes, and # 17 another crazy (10) minutes.)
- PATIENTS: (Reached spot # 64 around 7:50 water dirty did not stay long, reached second spot at 8:22, at 8:36 me caught the first Silverwonder, from then on it was pretty much steady action, slow but steady, patients no problem for today.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining
- (23) Silverwonders found them in2 locations.
- First produce 6t, me fishing an imaginary circle 15 feet in diameter, water moving left to right. Me would throw out to the left of the circle, when lure reached the middle of circle, me started to work it, and the strike zone was from the middle of the circle, to the right side of the circle, if you anywhere but their nothing you catch.
- The second was found doing the Oak River Troll, after catching 3, me read the depth finder in the strike zone, located the Bay Flat Sr on the shallow side of the drop off, threw up current, bouncing the lure along the bottom, along / up the drop off slowly with a twitch back to me, produce (13)t quick.
- Oak River Troll (ORT) (4) t & (3) r, last stop as Point Fienne, on east of the N/S pipe ¼ mile turned the Bay Flat Sr west, shut down the Yamaha Dream Machine, turn the motor too keep boat on an angel to the wind, let the wind pouch me, dropped the Matrix Shad over the side, BAM 14” red, bam 16” red, bam 18” red, then the Silverwodners (4) started hitting.
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) did not try
- Oak River Skim (ORS) did not try
- Cork (2)t
- Dead bait none
- Live bait none
lure du jour:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook, 2t, & 1 SB
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook, 2t.
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook, caught all other fish & crab, this be lure du jour.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64, 61 C (19)t (2)r , 18E (3)t, D, C,B, 2A (1)T, 17 (4) t, stopped fishing at 1:22 PM turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a smooth & quick ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (30 ) Silverwonders
- (5) Reds (3) throw backs
- (2) Stripe Bass
- (1) Crab
- (1) Bottom
- (1/2) bushel of grass
- Therapeutic day on the water with me, meself, and me.
- Me missed not having Big Judy on board, me was real concern about being able to put her on fish, but today turned out pretty good.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
No challenges today
Be patient, and if you find a spot holding fish milk it for everything you can catch, me made (4) moves , (in a (1/2) block area) in one spot, just trying to find the strike zone, and the angel the fish wanted the lure on.
Long runs to find them might not be necessary, just learn to fish your honey hole, (you know holding fish) from all angel / presentations.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Me a big fisheyed optimist. Me try to accentuate the catching as opposed to the fishing.
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
No plans for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Capt meeting for Local 60 rodeo, rodeo is this Saturday, Big Andrew, his sons, and Oneofthepack will be fishing for the BIG one to enter them into the weight station, stay tune, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 991 views