It was time, (We have been trying to schedule this for a few weeks, just waiting for the right conditions (wind) to fly the drone) to fly the drone, Big Mike, Big Cliff, (Big Mike’s wingman) and Oneofthepack where to tour our Disney World known as Delacroix Island and video the action from above…way above!!!!
- Weekend rodeo blown off the water
- Dr. appointment Tuesday no fish
- Grandkidsofthepack duty Tuesday evening no fish
- Birds in the back yard did not feed to late in the evening, not a good sign for an early morning trip
- Check the wind conditions, morning to be perfect 4-6 mph, later in the day wind 10-12 mph
- Up early 3:15 AM for a 4:30 AM meet up at Waffle House with Big Mike & Big Cliff
- Raised the garage door to load up the FORD transporter, this was me first clue of the wind condition, not as predicted.
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, not a good sign
- Not many boats on the Hwy, gas stations, or launches, not a good sign
- Arrived at Waffle House a little early, Big Mike & Big Cliff had already ate breakfast, walked in was going to get a cup of coffee, but said let’s go, and get started on our journey.
- Big Mike drove down in his car, and Big Cliff rode with me, we got acquainted on the ride down, found out we both had something in common, (which is not common. lol) that being we both liked Big mike.
- Passed on McDonnel & Last Stop food store.
- Check point Abel water up
- Check point Bravo water falling at Reggio Canal
- Reached the Bay Flat Sr boat slip, gave Big Cliff the 30 second safety speech, (watch crossing Hwy, dock around boat, & everything in truck comes out) when we parked.
- This is when me had me second notice of how hard the wind was blowing, me could not open me door, it took a lot of forces to get it open, NOT GOOD SIGN is this!!!!!!!
- Loaded up the Bay Flat Sr in no time.
- Yamaha Dream Machine fired up with one turn of the key
- Made the run to Lionel’s for some ice, and go juice, had a lot of commercial boast filling up, had to wait about 15 minutes to get to the fuel station.
- Off to spot # 64 to start our day.
- Wind E.S.E 22 – 27 MPH steady as she blew ALL day
- Sunny & Clear
- Mild to warm temps, it was real nice from a heat stand point
- Water level up 8”
- Water temp 78.7 F
- Tail end of a falling tide, turned quickly as the east wind help push it in
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7: It was looking good, (4 plus) early in the morning, but once it started to come in the milky looking water made it to our honey hole, and the bites slowed.
- Only saw (2) boats and they both stuck in shallow water, (me think one might have burned his engine up) I have run aground a few times, but me don’t understand how fisherpersons that don’t know where they are can run around not knowing where the channel/s are, especially in Bayou Gently, me hope the both had Seatow on their side.
- Did me mention it was a windy day?????
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Give Big Mike and Big Cliff a tour of our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Put Big Mike and Big Cliff on some action so we could fly the drone and get some action shots
- See how many poles me could come back in one piece and useable, this not a shot at Big Cliff,…………………………me did manage to come back with 2 out of 5 that Big Cliff did not fish with, you be the judge, re: shot!!!
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (E.S.E. at 22-27 mph was a problem today, we were hard press to find a spot we could fish lures, the wind bend around all the corners, ran down all the canals from all directions, and we had to fish a cross wind most of the morning, me think you can say it was a brutal wind day. Oak River Troll, wind had us going 1.9 to 2.1 mph, and we could never fell the bottom.)
- MOVING WATER: (Tail end of a falling tide was great, because the water clarity was good from all the marsh water draining out, but when it started to come in the water dirtied pretty fast. But we had moving water all day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Early in the AM was a 4 plus, then the dirty water came in with the tide, but it was still very fishable, me just think we did not have our hearts into fishing.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 64 produced the most action, along with 18 E, not many spot numbers holding fish.)
- PATIENTS: (Action early, but just far and in-between, need a lot of patients today, but me feel Oneofthepack and crew did not have much of that today. We entertain ourselves flying the drone, which was out main objective today.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining (8) t
- Oak River Troll (ORT) (3)t
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) did not try
- Oak River Skim (ORS) did not try
- Cork Nothing
- Dead bait none
- Live bait none
lure du jour:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook.
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook.
- DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook
- ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LIURE
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64 (6) t, 61C, 18 E (3) stopped fishing at 8:48 AM, flew drone for a while, turned the Bay Flat Sr north at 9:15 AM for a bumpy ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (11 ) Silverwonders (3) throw backs
- (1) Missed at boat waiting / trying to set up drone to video the action.
- (2) Reds
- (1) Bass
- (2) Oyster shells
- (1) crab Trap
- (1) motor
- (2) bottoms
- (1) Broke pole me last Shimano CSSM60. Big Cliff thought we were playing a trick on him, because when he set the hook the poles snapped, but we assured him it was no trick, the trick was going to be putting the pole back together, and / or burying it and experiencing the loss of me favorite 20 year plus old pole,. But me says not to worry you have 5 more to go.
- (2) Reels with no line left, Big Cliff asked what it means when you don’t have any line left on spool, me says you don’t have any line left on spool.
- No food or drinks it was a fishing trip, none needed
- Spending the day on the water with (2) of the best fisherpersons that are yet to be discovered.
- Experiencing the journey / outing with Big Mike and Big Cliff was a pleasure, cannot wait until we do it again.
- Experiencing the flight of rodnreel.com’s drone for the first time, what a sight, me was very happy it was a successful flight, only wish me could have put them on more action today to video same.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Cliff drew first blood real nice 14” speck, he had to reel it in by hand as the pole was in no conditions to help him. Me think he may have caught 1-2 more, but not sure. Me really enjoyed trying to help Big Cliff with fishing techniques, he watched me hands when me was fishing, me try to get past rookies to do the same but they don’t seem to want too. He notice the action and speed reeling in of the lure, told him to just try to keep a tight line when lure fishing. He wanted to know how long do you let the lure go down before you reel it in, told him that deepened on the water depth. We fished 10 feet to 3 feet today in different areas. Me think today as a little challenging for Big Cliff, but me know on the next trip he will be in contention for fisherperson of the day.
Big Mike, gave it his best effort, caught the bass, missed one and added 1-2 Silverwodners to the box, but this not enough to get the honor today. He does get an “A” for flying the drone and getting it back safely.
Always bring more poles then you need, you never know when and why you may need them. Big Ronnie when he sets the hook had broken many, now have to add another name to my list of pole molesters.
You might want to think of going to buy a few K-Mart rod, reels, and line specials, the pain is not as bad when it happens.
Did me ever tell you the story, (true) about me assistant at work, she made a fishing trip with me. Gave her a brand new rod & reel (Shimano CSSM60 rod & Shimano reel) me going to teach her how to do the “OAK RIBER TROLL”. Gave her the rod and said all you need to do is drop it over the side…………………she did just that rod, reel, line, dropped over the side never to be seen again, and no her hair was not blonde. Be assured on the next rod I was a little more explicit, and even gave her a visual run on how to do it.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
The word ‘catching’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by fishing
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Big Vienne (Granddaughterofthepack) graduating tomorrow, (no fish).
Oneofthepack & Big Andrew heading to Big Gus to re-spool all me reels, and to Big T-Doc to see if he can doctor up me broken poles, f not maybe he can use the eyes and other parts of the poles. Big T-Doc a custom rod builder, me have 2-3 of his creations, not only are they well built, but they too beautiful to use.
Friday Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) & Big Ronnie (aka Wildman, aka Dago) will join Oneofthepack on the Bay Flat Sr to take revenge on the Silverwonders who did not want to bite today, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 872 views