Last minute change of plans, me was going to make ma solo trip, cause Big T-Doc had a crew that was going to fish today, but he had to cancel out, so me called Big Pablo about me doors, and we started to talk fishing, that when me find out they not going, jump on board the Bay Flat Sr says me, yessum says he, Big Adrian (Big Pablo son) will join us, no problem says me, trip orchestrated by the fish god, she really know her stuff.
- Had a trip plan with Big Don, but he had to cancel out for Friday
- Completed tough job, all is well, me think
- Had lunch with remaining, (brothers passed away) sister-in-law’s and Big Al, caught up on current times and many memories, good time had by all.
- Up 4 Am for a 5 AM meet up at our abode, loaded up Big Pablo SUV and we were on our way
- No wild life sighing along I-10. 5-10 or Paris road, don’t know what happen to all me rabbit friends
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, and Last Stop food store, we on a mission to fish Lake John
- Not many boats on Hwy, gas stations, and boat launches, not a good sign
- Check point Able water level up at junction & canal
- Check point Bravo water moving at Reggio Canal, look to be falling, but don’t know which was is falling and what way is rising.
- Fishing club barge on let had a lot of activity around it, guide business must be good
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, no need for safety talk as me with season veterans that know their way around streets, docks, and boats.
- Loaded up the Bay Flat Sr in no time, Big Pablo got back in the SUV to run and get live shrimp before they sold out, Lionel’s did not have any, but Sweetwater some.
- Yamaha Dream Machine, not like her yougin (Yamaha Nightmare Machine) all me had to do was put the key in and think about starting and she fired up, she was hot and ready for today’s run.
- Motored down to Lionel’s for some ice and go juice, not long after we on our way
- Look out Big John and resident Silverwodners we on our way to conquer you both
- 20 – 25 mph S.E. wind blowing steady all day, a good kite day for sure
- Sunny & clear
- Mild to warm temps, no jumpsuit needed to day
- Had a few nats, but heard them screaming s the wind blew them past me
- Water level up 6-8”
- Water temp 73.1 F
- Water clarity on a scale; of 1-7:
- Lionel’s dock 1
- Little Lake 1
- Lake John 3 minus
- Bay Shallow 2 ½ plus
- Spot # 5 3 minus
- Spot 17C strong 6, BINGO just what we looking for
- Tide falling, me think it was moving pretty hard, buy me also think the siphon has the water moving too.
- Bumpy ride back across Little Lake, even with the S.E. wind behind us the rollers where 2 – 3 feet with white caps, wind and tide going against one another.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Fish and learn Lake John
- Expand me comfort level go on the other side of Twin Pipeline into Four Horse Lake
- Explore all areas in and around Four Horse, me have fished it many times before 2005, did not find it to be to productive
- Catch what catch can and have fun
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No problem 20-25 mph wind, helped push us across the bays to fish, we also had some spot where we could set up and have the wind at our back, wind not a factor today.)
- MOVING WATER: (Not sure in was a true tides, it appeared to be falling, but it was falling all over the place, and real steady like a flow from a fountain or something, anyway we had moving water.)
- WATER CALRITY: (This was our challenge for the day, most of the paces we fished clarity left a lot to be desired, we did find one spot with a 6 on the scale of 1-7. This clarity had me confidence level off the chart, we fish it long and hard, finished the day in that area.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 54 (12)r, (1)t, 17C (25)t)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed some today, morning very slow fishing Lake John & 4 horse, but once we agreed to go to the spots we know, (i.e. depth, bottom type, strike zone, fish locations, etc.) we started to catch a few and patients went out of the boat, we all where re-energized, we had taken a licking and we kept on casting.)
- SKILL: (One again it was a combination of knowledge, (past trips, action, conditions) and skill. Skill today was presentation, have the Bay Flat Sr at the correct speed, best angle during our drift, and what lure best to use. To control our speed, drift and angle, me had preprogramed our voice activated power poles (Sr. first mate, and first mate) to toss out the power poles, not down, but let them lay flat on the bottom, leave out about 15 feet off line, adjust the stern pole to give us the angle we wanted, and for speed leave out more line and / or bring in line. This worked well for us, we had minimum line tangle ups, and we could cast a mile with wind behind us.)
- LUCK: (We did not run aground during our exploration of Lake John and Four Horse, and believe it or not, that we did not get a bite, this made our decision for us to return to our home ground / backyard. And the most luckiest thing of the day was that we had Big Adrian board the Bay Flat Sr.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………REDS & 3 SILVERWONDERS CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING TO MUCH WIND, MOVING TO FAST
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..25 SILVERWONDERS CAUGHT H&H PURPEL BEETEL 2-3 FEET UNDER A CORK
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………(14) REDS CAUGHT
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….CAUGHT (25) OF THE SILVERWONDERS???????
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
3 Spots in Lake John, 1 spot in Four Horse, made the decision this not good, homeward bound we go, Spot # 54 (14)r, (1)t, 52, 52A, 55, 5 (2)R, (2)T, 17C (25)T, stopped fishing at 1:45 PM turned the Bay Flat Sr west took and north bumpy ride run back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (28) NMR Silverwonders 7 throw backs
- (18) Rat Reds
- (1) Bass
- (1) Drum
- (2) Sheepshead
- (2) Fresh water cats
- (2) Hard Heads
- (2) extra poles (Big Pablo mastered this technique)
- (2) Bushels of grass
- Batch of finger sandwiches and drinks, thanks to Big Pablo & Big Adrian
- Learn, (knew) me don’t like fishing areas me don’t have a very intimate knowledge of
- Solved me appetency to fish Lake John, Four Horse Lake, and surrounding areas
- Spending the day on the water with 2 of the best fisherperson me know, Big Pablo & Big Adrian
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Oneofthepack, me caught the biggest Silverwonder, caught 2 Reds, maybe 4 Silverwonders, did not catch the extra poles, all this and it was not even close for fisherperson of the day.
Big Pablo caught 14 Reds, maybe 4 Silverwonders, 2 extra poles, 2 Oneofthepack lines, 2 Big Adrian lines, and had he caught the 28” BIG Red he lost at the boat, he would have been in the run for fisherperson of the day, but as it be he be runner up.
Big Adrian came aboard the Bay Flat Sr with a very good repartition, his accomplishments preceded him, and all these accolades came from very reliable sources, his dad Big Pablo, and Big T-Doc very respected fisherperson it there on right. Me don’t remember me ever fishing with Big Adrian, so me was a slight bit concern of his abilities, techniques and presentation of his lures.
However after today’s trip me need to add me to his list of followers, as he humbled me to no end, the man is a catching machine, one after another the big girls came in, all without a landing net, (no one use one today) me check his depth on cork, made mind the same way. Me watch his popping of his cork, me did it the same way. Me watch how long he let the cork rest between pops, me did it the same way. We had the same lure, same head, same line, but me would not catch a Silverwonder, Big Adrian fisherperson of the day, and he will be invited back anytime he wants to jump on board the Bay Flat Sr, me need to learn from him.
Lake John had many boats running a round, (but not fishing) but cut in Four Horse that runs to Round Lake had 4 boat set up on it, they were on the lee shore line fishing back to center of cut.
We had live shrimp, me stayed true to the H&H purple beetle, Big Adrian did too for most of the day, but when we started to catch on cork we all went to H&H purple beetle.
Live shrimp is probably the way to go, Big Earl and his crew caught 21 Silverwonders plus on them out and about Four Horse, me think
Me think the challenge will be finding clear water to fish, keep moving until you find what meets your expectations.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
O & A:
How do you treat fisherperson that is addicted to therapy?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Open Bay Flat Sr for tomorrow, very low expiations on catching, and very high expectations on having fun and enjoying life, first mate with experience in voice activated power poles welcome.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 909 views