Friday kind of snuck up on me, had no planes to go, contacted Big John C first, to give him first right of refusal, as he respond to post for first mate for Wednesday trip, but me cancelled out on that one.
Next up Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) no problems says he we ago.
At our class Thursday, on use of GPS, Big Andrew, Big Don, and Oneofthepack took class / seminar from Capt Paul, very informative, very useful it was / be. Anyway me mention to Big Don going Friday with Big Bud he welcomed to come if he wants. Big Don had to check with the boss, (Big Lucy) he to call and let me know if he could go, no call so me think it will be just Big Bud and me.
Me communicate with Big Bud, meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor for 5:15 AM, no problems says he.
- Could not sleep, keep thing about spot # 17C all night, up at 3 AM, me amped up, physic up, racing around like a shrimp be chased by a Silverwonder.
- Check out all predicted conditions on computer, read post ton RNR, Lasporstman, magazines, this only amped me up more
- Finally time to take a shower and get ready, did this double quick time.
- Me ½ hour early at Waffle House, got me some coffee and grist, Big Bud showed up and got something to eat too.
- Loaded all his gear into the FORD transporter
- No wildlife sightings s along Hwy 11 or 90
- Phone geos off, this not good says me, I.D. on phone says Don, hay what up says he, going fishing says me. Says he me at Waffle House Chalmette, no problem says me will pick you up. But he never called to let me know he was going, no problem it just Big Bud and me in the Bay Flat Sr.
- Loaded Big Don gear into the FORD, off we go.
- Had a few boats on Hwy, gas stations, and boat launches, such a pretty day knew it would be a little crowded
- Check point Able water level down 12-14” in canal at junction, not good
- Check point Bravo no tide movement in Reggio canal, not good
- Pass the home of Big Don & Lucy’s boat, they heep theirs down at Delacroix too.
- Me re-installed GPS, no problem was real easy, took it off to go to class
- Quick work Bay Flat Sr loaded up with all our gear.
- Yamaha Dream Machine fired right up, no cough, just power growl
- Me really amped up, so much me said our goal today is 50 Silverwonders, this meant the crew knew we in for long day.
- S.E wind calm, later in the day 15-18 mph, puffing she be
- Sunny & clear
- Mild temps, kept jump suite on all day, even while un out
- Water temp 63.8F
- Water level down 12-14”
- Tide slack in the morning, came in as the day went along, had a good strong incoming tide to fish all day.
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7
- Spot 17C a 3
- Spot 18, 18A,B,C,D,E 3 MINUS
- Spot 61C a 1 rea bad, same with Orange Bayou & Oak River
- Water all the way out to North / South pipeline dirty river water a 1 on the scale of 1-7
- #17 (Point Fienne) a 3 minus
- #2A a 3
- At this point water looking real bad in zone 1 & 2 , Huston we had a problem had to make a major decision on where to go, go back to 17C caught a few, or head out to Lake John>Asked crew if they had a coin, Big Don dug one out of his tackle box. Says me head we go, and he flipped the coin but me never finished me statement. Coin was heads, me was going to say head we go to Lake John so me say that where we go. Big Don wanted to flip again no says me it Lake John. Lake John water clarity was a between a 3 and a 4 plus, kept changing throughout the day. Plenty, plenty, plenty boast out and about, can only imagine what Saturday will look like.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Get back on them BIG girls in spot # 17C
- Plan “B” make the milk see what the water looked like, it was chocolate milk all round, not good at all.
- Plan “C” head out to Lake John and see what we could do with the Silverwodners in that area.
- Plan “D” was to be Lake Amadee, but plan “D” not needed.
- Get plenty fish for Big Lucy fish salad
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (NO problem, S.S.E wind a little off dead center of our backs, but with (2) anchors out we were able to positon boat in the ideal angel to fish current wind. We also used it to do the Oak River Troll in some areas)
- MOVING WATER: (Falling then started to come in, came in strong all morning all the way up till when we let at 5:20 PM, moving water no problem today.)
- WATER CALRITY: (This was our challenge for the day finding water we had confidence in, we ran around all over looking for the best water, found it in the Lake John area, stayed in that are all day. But even there the water clarity would change back and forth minus 3 to a plus 4, me guess the tide had dirty and clean water moving at the same time.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 51C (94)t, only 4 caught in Lake Batola, all others caught at SPOT # 51A,B,C, & D)
- PATIENTS: ( In the AM up till about 10:10 AM it was slow, but crew excepted challenge, and was determine to find the right combination, (I.e. what, when, where, why, how, too of catching) , to get the Silverwodners biting.)
- SKILL: (Having Big Bud with us, having 3 heads, 6 eyes, and 2 ½ brains to observe surroundings, action in water, study tide movement, find the current lines and be able to position Bay Flat Sr in a locating at the correct angel to fish the wind at our back and the Silverwonders in front of us.)
- LUCK: (Falling right on top of the Silverwodners, and find , (by accident) a knew presentation technique, through out across current, let go to bottom, let lure run with current along the bottom, and up drop off, slowly with steady pace reel in, the Silverwodners love this presentation of the Matrix Had Lemon Drop lure.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………(96%) FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(10)T CUAGHT TIS WAT
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..(6) CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(15)T CAUGHT
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………(89) T CAUGHT
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- Big Don’s confidence lure, (Magneto) may be (6) T caught
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 17C (4)T, 18, 18A,B,C,D,E, 61C, 20,21, 17, 2A, 14, 51A, C (106)T, stooped fishing at 5:20 PM headed on in for a smooth ride back to Bay Flat Sr abode.
- Lived to fish another day
- ( 110 ) NMR Silverwonders
- (1) Bass
- (1) Crab
- (3) Oyster shells
- (4) cane poles
- (5) bottoms
- (4) popped lines on bottom
- No food no drinks, just water, just like me like it
- Learned a new technique / presentation
- Learned more on how to fish new spot # 51A,B,C, & D
- We had a traveling salesman on board, not really, it was a traveling fisherperson, if fish caught on bow, he on bow, if fish caught at stern he on stern, if fish caught amidships, he amidships, travel he did bow to stern. Another salesman trait that this traveling fisherperson had was trying to sell the Silverwodners on a Magneto lure, Silverwonders did not bite, but a cat fish really enjoyed it.
- Ones that got away:
- Fish story # 1: Me fishing new technique, let lure run behind Bay Flat Sr, reeling in rod down facing lure, boat 8-10 feet from boat a BIG Girl 4# plus hits me lure and pops me line, pole direction gave it no flexibility, and line was straight no time for drag to take over, took me awhile to get over it.
- Fish story # 2: Crew at 74 in the boat need one more, me got one on, and Big Bud hooks up. Me get mind to the boat and hold it in the water to see what Big Bud has. A loud yelp from Big don, BIG IT BE says he, Big Bud working the fish to the boat, (me ready to throw mind back) get the net was the call. Big Don net in hand makes a scope, BIG Silverwonder in net, raise net up, Silverwonder jumps out of net, me put me 13” fish in the box and we on our why home.
- Another strange happening today, we got Bay Flat Sr anchored down with 2 anchors, tide bow to stern, Big Bud and me on a heater, one after another brining in the Silverwodners. Big Don on bow, he moved there, (he assigned amidships) but he not having any action, all of a sudden the bow anchor pulls up, boat swings out and before you know it Big Don on a heater. Big Bud question this happening, sensing there may have been some fowl play, but Big Don said he had nothing to do with the anchor pulling up, me and Big Bud not sure about that move.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Crew fish hard all day, each contributing to our catch for the day, quantity wise there was some separation between us, quality wise it was just about equal, but today’s fisherperson of the day was honored for other factors of the day.
First off we had most spirited, most antigenic, the guy that keep our hopes up, keep us fired up during the slow periods. He caught his share of the Silverwodners, even caught a bass. Nut his efforts feel just a little; short for today’s horn of fisherperson of the day. Big don gave it the old college try, but it was not to be.
Oneofthepack was just Oneofthepack laid back taking it all in, and enjoying what mother nature put before him to see, caught a few, mostly bottoms and cane poles.
Big Bud, caught first fish, caught first 4 fish, caught first fish at Spot # 51 C, this is what got us started, and he kept up the action all day. When things got slow he would bring one in, he was on the hot spot for 2 or3 locations, and when it slowed down again he would be the first to bring one and kept he crew interested. And to stop it all off, he almost caught the biggest and last Silverwonders of the day, had it not been for Big Don net handy work, me think it may have been pay back for comment about anchor pulling up, me not sure.in
But all in all Big Bud fisherperson of today AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tide slack in the AM, get a late start, be in your honey hole by 8:30 AM, be prepared to stay late and fish the evening tide movement. Have plenty of Matrix Shad Lemon Drop & ¼ oz. H&H round white heads with gold hook.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Some significant others appreciate their significant other most while they are away fishing!
O & A:
If it’s true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Rest, work out tomorrow, may be able to go Sunday.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- 2 Comments
- 700 views