Me was looking for a crew for today, but after me said what me expectations, (catching slim & none) where for the trip, Big Gary no responded, and Big Curtis & Big May decided to wait for a better day / conditions. Big Bud under the weather so he could not make it.
Me was viewing another site when me saw the post for HELP, (for some reason the site removed the post, don’t know why, me thought it was a great idea for poster to get help fishing Louisans.) anyway Big TJ Yankee gentleman form up Chicago Illinois way was looking for some intel in where to fish, he and a friend, (Big Drew) was in town Sunday & Monday, they had a project hey had to complete Tuesday and they would be off to another state / project.
Big TJ posted his email address, me hit it, suggested give me a call, and he jump on board the Bay Flat Sr for a run around our Disney World as Delacroix Island, explain to him my expectations (catching slim & none based on Intel me got from weekend) told home thought he would relay enjoy riding around the marsh and see the type terrain we have and maybe catch a few fish.
Me got the call back at wound 10:00 PM, (seems Big TJ fishing city park all evening) says he can me bring a friend, silence on my end…..if not I will tell him to P off……..sure why not lest do it, 3 can fish out of the Bay Flat Sr, meet up time 5:00 AM 2 Waffle House in Oak Harbor.
- Crashed after Friday trip, Loveoftheapck and Oneofthepack got invited to the Russo’s abode, Big Ronnie putting on a cooking class for Chicness food, man this man can cook.
- Saturday me sleep till about 9:30 AM, then made me way to the gym for a much needed work out
- Sunday me still tired from Friday trip, got up late, by that time Loveoftheapck was up and gone she doing the Best Damn ½ marathon run, lady has a lot of energy.
- Picked up the grandkids plus 2 friends off we go for breakfast, Waffle House could not take us, Big Easy Dinner could not take us, we finally found a breakfast buffet on Gause Blvd, crew was very well behaved.
- Trouble sleeping Sunday got 2 to 2 ½ hours’ sleep, then is was time to get ready for today’s trip
- FORD transporter ready, threw me gear in her and me was on me way
- Big PT, Big Drew, on time we each had a bowl of grist to hold us over for the day
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
- Gave Big TJ, and Big Drew the 50 cent tour of all the fishing areas as we drove down to Delacroix, threw in a few Katrina stories too.
- Not many boats on Hwy, gas stations, and boat launches
- Check point able water down 6-8”
- Check point Bravo tide slack in Reggio canal
- Gave me 15 second safety speech, re: crossing Hwy, and dock vs. open space around the Bay Flat Sr
- Loaded up the Bay Flat Sr quickly done
- Yamaha Dream Machine, purring like a kitten
- Made stop at Lionel’s for some ice, go juice, and dead bait.
- FLASH!!!!FLASH, SERIGNE’S MARINER HAS LIVE SHRIMP AND FRESH DEAD SHRIMP, 1 TNAK FULL OF LIVE SHRMP AND THEY HOPE TO HAVE THE OTHER 2 FULL BY THE WEEKEND, GOOD NEWS TRAVELS FAST!!!!!!!!
- Off to spot # 51 C to starts our day.
- S.E wind calm then 20-25 MPH, blew hard all day
- Sunny & clear
- Mild to warm temps, no jump suite needed today
- Cooler when a cloud would pass over
- Water temp 71.3F
- Water level down 6-8”
- Tail end of a falling tide, turned and started to come in PERFECT!!!!!!
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
- 51D-1 a 3 plus
- R-IA a 7 plus
- 53 a 3
- 54 a 3
- 5 a 3 MINUS
- 6 a 3 MINUS
- 64 a 4 minus
- Orange Bayou & Grand Lake a 4 minus
- # 61 C a 2 plus
- Saw a lot of boats in Lake John area, zone 1 & 2 no boast, except commercial
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Give the Yanks a tour of our Disney World know as Delacroix Island share with them our great marsh and wildlife.
- Get Big TJ to catch a Redfish this be a special request he had
- Get Big Drew to catch a few fish, & a red, (could not makes this happen)
- Catch some Silverwonder for Big Andrew
- Run around in different spot numbers to check water clarity
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No problem, we in the middle of a bay / body of water no land behind us, wind blowing 15-20, 2 Cajun anchors our keeping us parallel to wind, we all cast like experts, and we did not even notice the wind. At spot # 5 it was perfect land at our back & wind at our back it was like the wind was not even blowing.)
- MOVING WATER: (Perfect condition tail end of a falling tide, turned and started to come in, had moving water all day, saw a few current lines but we did not fish them, wind not right.)
- WATER CALRITY: (When we first anchored the water looked muddy, but what me did not know was we fell right on top of the fish, that is what had the water looking muddy as they fed. 20 feet both way and the water was a 5 plus on clarity scale. Most of the areas we stopped & fished look to be boat a average of 3 minus, very fishable it be)
- HOLDING FISH: (New spot # 51D-1 (24)t)
- PATIENTS: ( Not needed fist cast hook up miss at boat, had some slow time but not much, we did a lot of running around 54.2 miles, no time to have lack of patients. We stopped, (9:30 AM) fishing Silverwodners, (it slowed down) wanted to run for bass then reds.)
- SKILL: (The ability to have Big Don a Team Jo-Jo member, he mention to me where he caught his 2 hogs Sunday, because of that Intel, our first set-up to fish was right on top of the Silverwonders. Me never will doubt Big Don’s knowledge and Intel he shares with us again, thanks man.)
- LUCK: (When we got to our fist spot, it was taken, lucky for us, went to plan “B” the spot that Big Don mention to us, had first spot not been taken, it could have been a whole different outcome for today’s trip.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………SOME ,REDS, DRUM, & CATFISH
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(3) REDS
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………ALL SILVERWONDERS CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE TIGHT LINE ALONG THE BOTTOM
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot 51D-1 (24) t, RI, 53,54,5 (1) t, 64, 61C, stopped fishing at 1:35 pm, turned north for a rough, bumpy ride back to the slip
- Lived to fish another day
- ( 25) NMR Silverwonders (3) throw backs
- (8) Reds (7) throw backs
- (2) Drum
- (1) Stripe Bass, (close as me could come to a bass)
- (7) Fresh Water cats
- (5) Hard heads
- (1) Crab
- (3) Oyster shells
- Bowl of grits for the crew at Waffle House
- No food or snacks just fish we do all day
- Big TJ & Big Drew caught on to the voice activated power pole real quick, and they learned not to throw it so hard when in shallow water.
- Big PJ & Big Drew two find yanks that love to fish, their job takes them all over the U.S., and they never leave home without their rods & reels, me like the dedications & priority these two have.
- I think we have two yanks that are thinking hard about relocating to Louisiana, especially as much s they like to fish, me think it will be soon.
- We got to talking about the areas (at home) they fish, seems the Muskies & rainbow are their quest, lakes, rivers, streams, and ponds are their fishing grounds, but nothing to compare with Louisiana and our Disney World known as Delcroix Island
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Like me typed earlier, Big Drew was a little slow getting out the gate with the Silverwonders, showed a lot of potential, and excelled in the catfish category, but what actually negated his chances for fisherpersons of the day, was no redfish for him, try as he may, the catfish would just not leave him alone.
Oneofthepack held his own with the Silverwonders, but me glad me did not catch any catfish, (that should be additional points by itself) and the only 3 reds me caught was on the H&H purple beetle, me came in a close last for fisherperson of the day.
Big TJ gained a lot of points for his genius, (posted HELP! In fishing site) way of getting fishing info on New Orleans fishing opportunities, and even a trip to Delacroix out of it. He also caught the fist Silverwonder, biggest Silverwonder, last Silverwonder, 1 drum, his share of catfish, and 5 of the reds. He has a bass fishing background, me always say a bass fisherperson can fish bass & Silverwonders with their presentation & technique, but a Silverwonders fisherperson may not be able to fish bass as well. Big TJ the man for today.
Me think we had a point & case today, Big Gary & Big Curtis & Big May all kind of elected not to go because of the expectations, (re: catch slim & none) me tells them that might happen. But this tell me2 things, 1-They fare weather fisherpersons, 2- they don’t subscribe to the Team Jo-Jo motto, “YOU GOT TO GO TO KOW” so go to know.
Bites where early, by 9:30 AM it was just about over, we ran around chasing bass & reds, but if me where to go tomorrow me would be in me spot just before daylight, catch the tail end of the falling tie.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Pay attention to what a fisherperson is, not what fisherperson has been.
O & A:
If fishing commentators always know better why aren’t they on the water?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Off the water Tuesday, & Wednesday handyman working on house
Thursday Bay Flat Sr open boat, first mate welcome, voice activated power pole experience a plus.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 1,129 views