Big Kenny right on time (5:30AM) for our meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor, after a quick breakfast we loaded all the ear into Big Kenny truck and we on our way for a fun day on the water down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Reciprocated from Saturday trip, called Big Kenny to see if we had a go, he asked how me felt from fishing Saturday, me gong if you want to go, yessum says he.
- Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) had to cancel out, we missed you & your expertise with the cork fishing technique that you process
- FOG!!!!!!!! Huston we may have a problem
- Passed on Hwy 11 straight to I-510
- Not many boats oin the Hwy, gas station, and/or boat launches
- No stop at McDonnell and/or Last Stop food store
- Check point Able water level normal
- Check point Bravo no water moving in Reggio canal, not good sign
- Fog was just in some spots, by the time we reached the junction it was gone.
- As a team we made short work of loading the Bay Flat Sr up
- Me tried to pick up ice chest, what a surprise me had a hard time budging it, don’t know what it is about some fisherperson, but it full to the top with ice, says me, where we going to put the fish, we can dump some out of if need.
- Yamaha Dream Machine felt like it started itself, purring like a kitten
- Made quicks stop at Lionel’s for some go juice
- Crew had ice and dead shrimp already on board the Bay Flat Sr
- As for where to start our day, after Saturday Intel trip, we decided to pass on spot 51A,B,C and/or D we went straight to spot # 18 to start our journey of the day.
- Hit fog in Little Lake all me can says is me liking the GPS more and more.
- S.E wind 6-8 MPH, around 10:50 went to S.S.W wind 20-25 mph, no problem for us
- Mild temps to warm, jump suite came off around 10:00AM
- Sunny & clear once fog lifted, then some clouds moved in for most of the day, perfect it be
- No rain
- No Nat’s
- Water level normal
- Water temp 67.8F
- Tide slack then started to fall, fell all morning
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
- Little Lake a 3 minus
- Spot 18, A, ,B ,C, D, E, a 2
- Spot 17C 3 minus
- Spot 17 3
- Spot 20,21,22,&23 2 minus, nothing but river water
- Spot # 16 2 minus
- Spot # 5 3
- Spot 6 3 plus
- Spot 15B 5 plus
- Spot 15 3 plus
- Saw about 5 boats out and about
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Share some spot numbers and narrative on how to fish them with Big Kenny
- Try zone 2 to see what the water looked like
- Go out late to spot #51A,B,C, &D, but as action was we did not have to do this
- Run / recon spot numbers checking water clarity for future use
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind no problem, it helped us catch fish today, we were able to sue it like a trolling motor, using it to move us along the strike zone while, later in the day we even tried the Oak River Troll and the Oak River Skim using the wind.)
- MOVING WATER: (We had a slack tide at first, no wind, no tide, but it started to move within our first hour on the water, did see some current lines to fish but no action in them)
- WATER CALRITY: (Strange they had great looking water in some area, and real bad looking after in other areas. The second spot we tried was 17C, had not Big Kenny been on board me would not have even stopped it looked so bad. But the wind was ideal for this area so we started with the corks, first cast out Big Kenny got a hit, then me caught one. Dirty water and all and we still caught fish, very uncharacteristic bites where today)
- HOLDING FISH: (#17C Silverwonders where holding tight to the grass line & # 5 Silverwodners where on the flat, tide falling to pipe line, cork drifting along and then BAM down it went.)
- PATIENTS: ( Once again we were enjoying the conditions, wild life surroundings and mother nature, it was noon before we knew it, time flies when you having fun)
- SKILL: (Cork fishing, me hate it, but this the way they want it today, me did me best, but me also had the next best skill, having an expert cork fisherperson on board, only thing better would to have Big Bud with us, cause me know he too one of the best cork fisherperson me know)
- LUCK: (We changed game plan and took a chance fishing zone 2 instead of running out to Lake John, and we just fell on top of the Silverwonders)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………(1) RED
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING TIDE AND WIND GOING IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………ONLY ONE BITE
Cork ……..CORK DAY IT BE, LURE 36” TO 40” BELOW CORK, POP, POP, POP, ALL DAY, IT LOOKED LIKE THE PREFERRED IT SITTING FOR AWHILE BEFORE NEXT POP.)
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………HAD SOME REAL NICE FORZEN DEAD BIAT LOOKED GREAT, NOTHING CAUGHT ON IT
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(27) SILVERWONDERS CAUGHT ON THIS LURE
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………(5) CAUGHT ON THIS LURE
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot 18, A, B, C, D, E, 17C (25)T, 20,21, 22, 23, 61, 6, 5, 5A (6)T, 14A, 14 (1)T, stopped fishing at noon turned the Bay Flat S north for a quick smooth ride aback to the slip, wind at our back Bay Flat Sr faster than ever before.
- Lived to fish another day
- (32) NMR Silverwonders (9) throw backs
- (1) Rat Red
- (1/2) bushel of grass
- Excellent drinks & sandwiches, Big Kenny knows how to treat the Capt, thanks man and they were real good
- Got some cork time, me learning, but it is a slow process
- Falling on top of the Silverwonders
- Gaining confidence in / on the GPS on board The Bay Flat Sr
- Relaxing , laid back, floating experience along the grass beds
- Sharing a beautiful morning on the water with one of the best fisherpersons me know, that be Big Kenny
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
No doubt, Big Kenny me may have caught (7) Silverwonders, me think it is the cures of the cork that has been put on me, me cannot master cork fishing. Me now it sounds real easy, but not for me. So until me get better me will have Big Kenny, Big Bud, or Big Adrian on board the Bay Flat Sr to put Silverwonders in the boat and in the box while me learn to cork fish.
But rest assured me day will come!!!!!!
Me guess dirty water fishing & catching can happen, me not going to pass on areas me know where fish are when the water dirty, me going to give them all a try, not long, but long enough to make sure they not there.
It has been a strange winter, with river water, cold weather, snow, me think the Silverwodners are as confused as me is. This time of year is tight line time, and me cannot get a bite tight lining, it is all Oak River Troll and / on corks, so me guess best have some corks in your tackle box, juts in case they needed.
The more time you send on the water the more likely you are to catch Silverwonders.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
An autofisherbiography is a book that reveals nothing bad about its writer except his memory.
O & A:
How do you know if a fisherperson is in love?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Mind, heart & soul wants to go tomorrow, but body, (need to work out and gain some strength) has other ideas, looks like it may be all the way to Wednesday before me back on the water, first mate welcome to jump on board the Bay Flat Sr and try our luck, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 650 views