Our time had come, Big Curtis & Big May was ready to make our first trip of the fall season, it had been awhile since me had the fearsome duo, (as the Silverwonders know of them) on the Bay Flat Sr. for a fun day of fishing down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Good work out Sunday morning, walking, riding bike, weights, and swimming, felt great
- Road trip Sunday , (after work out) with Big Charlie & Big Maryann to the coast for dinner
- Too much food for dinner, hard to go to sleep
- Saints win again
- Up early, loaded the FORD transporter off me go
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy. 11 or 90, not good sign
- Had a few boast on the road, gas station, and at the launch for a Monday morning, this could be a good sign
- Was early for the 5:30 AM meet up, so me did a McDonnell, and gassed up the FORD transporter, before meet up.
- Passed on Waffle house, and Last Stop food store, this crew on a mission to fill up the freezer
- Check point Abel, water level 18 to 24” low not a good sign
- Check point Bravo no moving water at Reggio canal, not a good sign
- Road crew just got on the Hwy and was making their way down the road at a very slow pace
- Arrived at the home of the Bay Flat Sr hanging high and dry, with 3 of us took no time to load her up.
- Gear in boat, crew almost in boat, we raring to go, and……………………………..Huston we have a problem. Seems Big Gary (last crew member, mean last crew member) left the fish finder on, and we had a dead battery, what to do what to do.
- Big Curtis suggested he ride down to see if that had some sort of portable jump start, but all they had was a charger.
- Decide to get battery charged, this to take 40 minutes
- Me thinking this not the way to go, don’t want to get out and ruin my record and have to call Seatow, so we off to Chris hardware in Poydras to pick up a new battery.
- Return with ne battery, Big Curtis pick up old battery, and one rune of eh key and the Yamaha Dream Machin fired up for a slow run down the bayou to Bayou Gently, where we shot the cost to het and we were off to spot # new spot to start our day.
- Reached the honey hole around 8:45 AM almost 3 hours behind schedule.
- N.W. wind 3-4 mph perfect
- Sunny & clear
- Cool to mild temps, cold when running around, and that we did 41 miles to be exact
- Had to lose Jump suite and extra shirt as it was getting warm for me
- Water level down 18 to 24”
- Water temp 58.2 F looking good need 57 F
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus, real stained looking in the areas we fishing
- Tide slack, stayed slack all day, me could not find any moving water, none!
- Plenty of boats out and about for a Monday, they were all over the place
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. & the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Catch a box of fish to fill Big Curtis & Big May freezer as they out of fish
- Learn to fish a low tide
- Learn to fish a slack tide
- Learn to check all electronics OFF before leaving Bay Flat Sr in slings
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: ( None factor today, it was almost dead clam all day)
- MOVING WATER: (This criteria was the challenge of the day, me could not find water moving anywhere, and this is at the top of the list for catching)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not as good as me like, but it was very fishable, hope water gets back to that black clear look soon.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 23 caught 5, most other spot numbers and spots in zone 1 & 2 nothing.)
- PATIENTS: (Fins off to the crew today, they cast, and cast, and cast all day right up to the end (2:30 PM) of our trip, it was a very slow day for any action, but we kept to fishing with a passion. Me think we may have filled the very little corner of the freezer, if that!)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………Nothing
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(2) t
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..(5)t caught
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………Big May had some, me think it was caught on Noah Arks
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….Nothing
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………Caught all fish
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………Nothing
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot #, new spot, 61C,B,A,61,60,20,21,22,23 (5)T,20,21,22,60,61C,18A,B,C,(1)T, NEW PSOT, 64, 64B (1)T, turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (7 ) (NMR) Silverwonders
- (4) reds, (3) throw backs
- (1) Fresh water cat on Noah Ark shrimp
- (1) Big Stick, Big Curtis claim for the day
- (2) Bottoms
- (1/4) bushel of grass
- (3) tangled lines
- (8) Toasted peanut butter crackers, as provided by crew
- Got a new battery
- Spending a beautiful day on the water with the fearsome duo, (as the Silverwodners call them) Big Curtis & Big May
- New challenges, (i.e. low tide, no tide, no bites, etc.) exposed to, and solutions to address them next time.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Curtis had the biggest Silverwonder, note said had, however he did claim biggest stick of the day, but tis not enough to claim the honors today.
Oneofthepack struggled too, me failed as a capt of the boat, could not put crew on the bites.
Big May edged us both out with her Big Red, plus she never stopped casting all day, plus her casting distance and accuracy is getting a lot better, she fisher person of the day.
When me got home had phone calls, phone messages, emails, of the success of other fisherperson of the day, seems they all catching fish, wall, ICW, Bayou Bienvenue, Bay Jack, Lake John, So me suggestion for the day, don’t do what we did, do what all the other fisherperson did.
Today’s trip hurt me pride & ego, don’t mind the guides out fishing us, but when other boat Capt.’s can make it happen, and me cannot put crew on bites, me feel deflated and finless). Me know it just the fish god way of her telling me, me better be good, & nice with sugar & spice or the finless trips will continue.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
There are plenty Silverwonders in the bayou, but until I catch one I will be here playing with my rod.
O & A:
Do fish have to wait an hour before they swim so they don’t get cramps after eating?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Next up Wednesday, fishing with Big Ray, a cast from the past, we and our kids fished together for many years, until Katrina blew us a part. Big Ray looking for a box of fish to take to Atlanta so they can have a Louisiana fish fry with son, daughter-in-law and kids, hope me can find a few for them.
Then comes Friday, Capt Don (as he likes to be called, and aka Perch whisper) called offered to take me out along the ICW to chase Bass, Reds, Silverwodners and anything else that might bite. Me think this may be the best way for Oneofthepack to go to get me confidence back cause me know Capt Don 99.999999% u goanna catch fish.
See all you fisherperson out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 888 views