It has been awhile from our last trip, and a little longer time since Team Jo-Jo last post. Summer time not me favorite time of the year to fish, but me have to go so me don’t forget where me boat is and where are all me spot numbers, and other hot spots in the areas, (Delacroix, Bayou Bienvenue, Lake P, Lake Borgne, Bar Pits, etc. etc. etc.) we love to fish.
So when Big Andrew suggested a run into Lake P to try the artificial reefs, me no take long to accept this challenge for the quest of Silverwodners, and Redthings.
- Lack of fishing causing a state of pratyahara.
- Miss me, me Wednesday work out secession today, not good
- Early morning start, met up at Big Andre abode for 10:30 AM
- Had to make a decision on which boat to use for the day, always one out.
- Big Andrew & Oneofthepack moved on to plan “B” very quickly to accelerate the bites, we adjourned over to Phil Mariner, where the bites where fast & furious.
- Ride home a little bumpy with the 12- 15 mph east head wind
- E.S.E. wind clam then 12-15 steady as she blew
- Partly cloudy, over cast, great
- Mild to warm temps
- Water level up 10”
- Water Temp 80 something
- Tide pouring in, strong all day
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 9 plus, would love to have this at Delacroix.
- Not much competition, only saw 2 other boats out and about
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on, (Big Andrew’s) the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Fish the artificial reefs, in Lake P between Twin Span, and Hwy 11 bridge
- Try to find and locate them, and also explore, & layout the outer perimeter of each reef, fish through them
- Lock them in GPS as a way point
- Make a pass at the trestles, troll with the ¾ oz. round lead head, rigged with Matrix Shad Lemon Drop
- Gather Intel for future trips / use.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (E.S.E. at 12-15 mph was a problem today’ if we were casting & retrieving, but trolling and doing the Oak Rivet Troll techniques, wind no problem. We fished the west side of the trestles which meant we throwing directly into the wind, this not good.)
- MOVING WATER: (Falling all morning, we had plenty moving water, a little too much, as our lures where trolling way away from eh trestles, even though we were tight against the west side of the trestles.
- WATER CALRITY: (Looked great, matter of fact todays conditions had me reminiscing back to 2016 December & 2017 January time of the years when the trolling Lake P trestles , and the action was off the chart. Today’s clarity mimic last yeasr color and clarity.)
- HOLDING FISH: (This criteria was the tough one for the day, we could not even find one fish, but me sure it was not the fish fault. Me feel it was just that Big Andrew & Oneofthepack just could not make it happen today. Along with no fish, we also notice one other sign / condition was missing, no Looms swimming about, earlier in the year they were all over the Lake P, find the Looms and find the Silverwonders!!!!!)
- PATIENTS: (We needed a basket full today, however we managed to kept our selves busy sharing stories from our past trips and family happenings, but we did not lose any concentrating on / of fishing, it seems today’s challenge was the catching side of the trip that was the real challenge.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………NEVER DI ANCHOR
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….NOTHING
- Dead bait none
- Live bait none
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………NOTHING
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
No name reefs, could not find them, from north draw, west side of trestles, out to FP 9 nothing.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders
- (0) Fishes
- (1) Crab trap, popped line
- (1) Trestles piling popped line
- Cool water & drinks as provided by the Capt for the day
- Learned, that we learned we did not know where the reefs where
- Learned they removes the buoys that use to mark them
- Learned we were like to fisherperson lost on the water, even with a GPS, depth finder, and a radio.
- Learned that SeaTow offered us another service today, Big Andrew called Hot Rod for the coordinates of the reef, had them text to us in no time. This when we learned we did not know how to use GPS w/coordinates to find existing reefs.
- Confirmed that the car bridge operators is a (24) hour operation, Big Andrew needs to bring Bertram boat back to yard to do some touch ups, and he wanted to know what was the earliest , (AM) he could go through bridge.
- Lunch at Phil’s
- Spending the morning and part of the afternoon on the waters of Lake P with one of the best fish telling story fisherperson, (Big Andrew) me know, and me know a lot of them, including meself.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
One boat said they had 2 Silverwodners, me hats foo to them they be fisherperson of the day for sure, if me could have got to them me would have giving them an Oneofthepack trophy for their efforts.
Conditions where PERFECT, not sure me know what to suggest. Maybe live shrimp may have made a difference.
Suggest we wait a couple of months, (If we can endure) and let the water cool down a little.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Seek fishing not catching it lasts longer.
O & A:
- Re: reefs:
- How many are there in Lake P between the Twin Span & Hwy 11 Bridge?
- What are the coordinates for them?
- Can / will your depth finder show / display them along the bottom, if so what to look for?
- How do you fish them?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Trip with Big Ronnie, (aka Wildman, aka Dago) for Friday canceled due to predicted weather conditions.
Aug 19th trip set up with Big T-Doc, me think us to assault the MRGO out of Hopedale, aboard his 23 foot SeaChaser with the 250 Mercury. Any Intel, suggestions, hot spots would be greatly appreciated.
Still need to hook up with Big Curtis & Big May for another trip out to the MRGO, maybe next week.
Also still waiting for the call from Capt Don (aka Perchwishper) for our rematch with the bream in the Bar pits, call me Big Don.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
Big Mike is your post for a male, female or Shim model for the craft show???????
- No Comments
- 953 views