Got up early, looked outside, FOG!!!!!!!! Decided to give Lake P a try along Big Bud’s (aka Eastofmrgo) favorite 5 mile reef, trestles in Lake P.
- Cancelled (Friday) trip with Big Mike Gallo, wind conditions where not going to be very favorable for fishing and/or catching
- Could not sleep, up at 1 AM, worked on computer for few couple hours
- 6 AM look outside, fog so thick you could cut it with Matrix Shad Lemon Drop.
- Had visons of 2015, when the BIG girls where all along the trestles during a foggy day, just had to go to know.
- Loaded up the Flat Jr quickly
- Lots of items in Bay Flat Jr, look like a storage locker, had to take all out and store, this no stop me on a mission
- Lots of trouble of getting trailer light to hook up to truck, this no stop me me on a mission
- Make it to Tites, ready to back her down and launch the Bay Flat Jr, truck blocking launch they fueling up one of the crew boats, this no stop me on a mission
- Yamaha Nightmare Machine was above herself, took 21 pulls for her to start, this no stop me on a mission.
- One the workers mentions to me the wind is going to pick up, no problem says me just looking for an hour or two, this info no stop me, me on a mission.
- Off me go into the fog
- Fog thick as can be, when me made it to the second fire break, it was crystal clear, no fog
- S.W. wind 4-6, than, 8-10, than 12-15, than 15-20 MPH, win went from 4-6 to 15-20 in about 10 minutes
- Sunny & clear, then the clouds moved in, partly cloudy
- Water level up 6-8”
- Water Temp 57F
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 it was a 6 plus, looked real good to me surprise
- Tide hard to tell wind so strong, bow in line could not tell which way it going, but it be moving for sure
- Wave action 2 ½ to 3 ½ foot rollers with white caps, rough it be
- Only one other boat out, he did not fish all they did was watch me bounce up & down while me trolls for a very little while, they left when me let.
- Wind blowing so hard had to keep the Bay Flat Jr on a 45* angle from the trestles, pointed to the west, almost did what Big Andrew did a few months back, wind almost slammed me into the trestles, don’t know what me would have done if me hooked up with a Silverwonder, controlling the boat was a real challenge.
- Picking up the Bay Flat Jr was also a challenge, wind blowing straight up the canal, skinned me leg up, and smashed the boat into the guide knocking it off the trailer, this not be good.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- See if the Silverwonders wanted to come out and play, they are overdue for the fall run, got to believe it will be soon.
- Practice me trolling technique, try different size jig heads to see what can get me to the bottom, if you not on the bottom, you be wasting time.
- Practice and note how much line has to be out to get me to the bottom
- Practice at what angel odes the Bay Flat Jr have to be to get the lure as close to the pilings as me can without getting hooked up on them.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No way this criteria a problem, wind was S.S.W. and you could not find a lee area to fish, bow in me line was a 3 foot arch, not good)
- MOVING WATER: (Had plenty don’t know if it coming in or falling, but it me moving.)
- WATER CALRITY: (This criteria off the chart, beautiful looking water, if only we had this clarity down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island what a life it would be.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Me was more concerned on what me was going to hold, on to if it got any rougher.)
- PATIENTS: ( Did not need any, was not out their long enough to impact me fishing.)
- SKILL: (Operating the Bay Flat Jr with the waves coming straight up to the stern / transom, had to speed up and let up, had to keep the Bay Flat Jr same speed as the waves, and when me slowed down the crest of the wave was about 2 – 2 ½ foot above the transom, all me had to do was stall, and me think me might have gotten wet.)
- LUCK: (Me did not get wet, me made it back one piece, Bay Flat Jr still in good shape, and trailer suffered a minor injury.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………DID NTO TR
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….NOTHING, NADA, SKUNKED!!!!
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………NOTHING NO HITS, RUNS, OR SCALES.
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
5 mile reef along the trestles, from north draw to mile maker 174.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders
- (0) Redworries
- No bottoms
- No popped lines
- Expanding me comfort zone fishing Lake P with a little wind
- Challenging Lake P with the Bay Flat Jr, me call this a thrill ride
- Spending a quick morning out and about with me, myself, and I
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Not me, not I, nor meself, me think the fishes take this one.
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, and try again, practice makes perfect, third time a charm, “Go to Know”
PONDER OF THE DAY:
The only impossible fishing trip is the one you never begin
O & A:
Why are we afraid of falling? Shouldn’t we be afraid of not trying?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Big P.J. and Oneofthepack will be in Lake P and/or Gulf Outlet Marine in the AM, stay tune for the rest of the story.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 513 views