Me had 3 trips plan this week, but me back went out and cancelled Wednesday with Big Don, and Friday with Big Capt Don. But did not miss a day of work, so when Saturday came around decided to keep me date with Big Pablo aboard his fishing machine to expand me conform zone one more time, as we ran out to Bay Eloi Bay area to see if we could find some cleaner water & catch a few Silverwonders.
• Work picking up, having more success with this challenge then fishing
• Started to call in AM and cancel out (me back) but figured give it a chance to feel better when a Silverwonder on me line
• No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
• Tuesday me counted (50) plus rabbits along Hwy 90 from Hwy 11 / 90 junction to the Rigolets Bridge, me found where all the rabbits are spending their summer. Even got to see (3) Pigs strolling along Hwy 90, just before 190 / 90 junction.
• No boats on Hwy\Gas stations empty / void of any boats
• Passed on McDonnell, Waffle House, Last Stop food store, but did make the stop at gas station in Violet, it seems this be the stop of choice for all fisherpersons, but today we the only boat in gas station.
• Check point Able water level at junction up 6-8”
• Check point Bravo, (Reggio Canal) no see we took road to Hopedale, not Delacroix
• Boats stacked up at Briton Sound Mariner waiting to be launched, look to be they had a Red Fish rodeo going
• Mariner has a system boats line up 3 abreast, look like an aircraft carrier, even had a boat leader with flash light identifying who next to launch, and went real smooth & fast.
• Bait line only one in front of me, not that much action for bait that morning.
• Off to Dolly Parton rig to start our day, we made a quick side trip into the bay to try a pint along the shoreline, nothing
• Mouth of Bayou La Loutre & Bay Eloi left hand sore line, bait was all over the place, had some Pelicans diving, we could not pass this up, 7:26 AM me caught first Silverwonder, got 2 out of that stop.
• Made it to Dolly Parton rig, fisher-man must have name that rig.
• W.N.W wind 4-6 mph, then 10-12 mph, then various as the thunder clouds works its way around us.
• Partly cloudy, fully cloudy, and at sometimes sunny
• We dodge (3) thunder storms with lighting in them, me not like lighting, our 4th thunder storm, (temperature dropped 8-10* when we passed through it) we ran through it along the back levee canal back to Briton Sound Mariner.
• Did not get wet until us picking boat up, got a little down pour, not much, but managed to wet me pretty good as me was the boat driver on the trailer.
• Temps, mild, warm, hot, cold, mild, all and all a real pleasant day to be out on the water.
• Water level up 6-8”
• Water Temp 84.9F
• Tide rising hard
• Plenty / lots of bait in the water
• Water clarity one scale of 1-7, ranged from a 3 to a 5plus
• Had plenty boats out and about, but they had a bunch still going out, running into those thunder storms, those days are over for me.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
• Be safe
• Have fun
• Put some run time on Big Pablo (115 HP) Yamaha Dream Machine
• This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
• Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
• Expand me comfort zone once again in search of cleaner water & Silverwonders.
• Learn new routes / runs and to fish new areas
• Fish the various big and little rigs in Bay Eloi
• We must have been in a good area, guide boat stop by us at Dolly Parton rig, and (2) more ran pass us, so we were zeroing in on the hot spots for sure.
• Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
1 WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Open water hard to get wind at back, more important strategy for fishing rigs, is find where on what side of rig Silverwonders are holding, this be the challenge when fishing rigs)
2 MOVING WATER: ( This no challenge as we had a rising tide all day, strong in the bayous, mild at the rigs)
3 WATER CALRITY: (Looking great, at the rigs a solid 5 on the scale of 1-7, clean, clear, you could see me lure down 12-14”, we fishing in 5-6 feet of water at rigs.)
4 HOLDING FISH: (Dolly Parton rig, we spent a lot of time here, just kept moving around rig until we found the sweet spot, this followed up by the cut MRGO to west of rocks, this be where all the Silverwonders where.)
5 PATIENTS: ( Needed some, but being a new spot / area we fishing the anticipation alone keep us interested, and time went by much to fast)
6 SKILL: (Big Pablo knowledge of the area, knowing the hot spots, boat position, strategy / presentation / technique of fishing each spot.)
7 LUCK: (We almost did not get wet, all be it me was got wet, that we did not get hit by lighting, and that it turn out to be a perfect day for fishing / catching.)
• Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining………………………………… 10% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
• Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
• Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
• Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
• Cork ……..(Popping cork caught a few, even sliding cork caught a few, and (5 feet deep) it also caught the biggest Silverwonder for the day.)
• Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
• Dead bait………20% of fish caught
• Live bait…………………70% of fish caught
• LURE DU JOURE:
• 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….Nothing
• 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………8-10 Silverwonders caught with this lure
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
• Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. Did not try
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Dolly Parton Rig (5) t, various rigs, cut in rocks (23) t, stopped fishing at 1:30 pm, turned the boat north for a very long bumpy ride back to Briton Sound Mariner.
• Lived to fish another day
• (28) Silverwonders (19) throw backs
• (2) Rat Reds
• (6) Croakers
• (1) Drum
• (1) Sheepshead
• (6) Gaff Tops
• (18) Hard Heads
• (4) tangled lines
• (4) bottoms / 4 popped lines
• Me gut hooked a small Silverwonder (11”) through it back, felt real bad that it died and the it would be wasted, as me turned out of me right eye, me see the Porpoise glide by and scoop up the dead the dead Silverwonder, so much for me waste thought.
• Got me hands slimly
• Got me pants slimly
• Got me shirt slimly
• Got to have that smell (perfume to me) of a Silverwonder fisherpersons / catcherperson, me just love that smell.
• Great food & drinks as provide by Big Pablo & Violet gas station
• Spending the day, searching for the Silverwodners with one of the best fisherpersons / explores me know, and that be Big Pablo.
• Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Me had no chance, Big Pablo a fishing / catching machine, from bottom, cat fish, Reds, Drum, Sheepshead, Croaker, to BIG Silverwodners he was, on, on, on today. Me enjoyed just sitting back and watching this master perform his technique & presentation while catching anything that wanted to participate in the action for the day.
Only one challenge / quest of the day escaped Big Pablo, me needed one Red fish for neighbor, not he could make happen today, but he still the best of the best.
Don’t know the area well enough to make any, but will say this it was a long, long, long boat ride in open water, this be not Oneofthepack’ s favorite strategy for fishing, and not even for catching, so me be back will me to Delacroix inside waters soon.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Fishing has nothing to do with learning new ways to be stupid!
O & A:
What did fishing & life teach you today?
TEAM JO-JO’S FUTURE STRATAGEM:
Not sure, but hope to be back on the water soon.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- 2 Comments
- 971 views