Frist mate for the day was Big Dale (new comer) me not sure of his abilities with the voice activated power pole, and / or his skills / techniques tight lining lures along the bottom, so me took the liberty of seeking and invite a ringer (catching ringer) for our trip to ensure we had a few to bring home. Big Dale and Big Ray made a good tag team, Big Ray had the Bow, Big Dale had midship, and as usual Oneofthepack handled the stern of the Bay Flat Sr.
We were spaced out along the Bay Flat Sr, had very little trouble with tangled lines, but me appreciated Big Dale tangling up with Big Ray every now and then, help to slow him down/
- Rested up Wednesday, no fish me do
- Sleepless night again, one hour
- Up at 4:15 for 5 Am meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor
- Big Dale and Oneofthepack about 20 minutes early, Big Ray showed up shortly.
- Had a quick coffee and a little breakfast
- Decided to load all gear into Big Ray truck as he has a four door, with lots of room.
- No wild life sightings along Hwy 90, or 610
- Lots of boats on Hwy, gas stations and boat launches, was it a holiday?????
- Passed on McDonnell, and Last Stop food store, we running about 25 minutes behind schedule.
- Check point Abel water level at junction
- Check pint Bravo, no tide movement at Reggio Canal, this not good
- Arrived at the home of the Bay Flat Sr, she hanging high and dry
- Gave the 2 minute speech re: crossing Hwy, and vacated space between boat & dock
- No time we had her loaded up, and we on our journey to start our day
- Passed on Lionel’s (had to dodge the boats as we passed) we had all we needed board the Bay Flat Sr
- Gave the COMMAND hold on, and hold on to your hats, shot out the hole like a heard of turtles, all the bay boats past us up like we standing still.
- Off to spot # 5 to start our day…….HUSTON we have a problem
- Wind E.S.E. 4-6 mph, clam, E.S.E. 2mph
- Sunny & Clear
- Mild temps, warm, warmer, not, red button almost popped out, look like crew was doing strip tease as clothes was coming off from all over the place, got down right hot, and NO WIND!!!!
- Water level, down 2-3”
- Water temp 66.7F
- Start of a falling tide, got stronger as the day went along
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus, still brown looking, and a little sandy looking, but fishable and it was catchable too.
- NATS ARE OUT IN FULL FORCE!!!!!!! Best buy a Nat hat, long socks, tuck your pants leg into socks, and a pair of surgical gloves will work wonders, done leave home without.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- This was a pre-trip for future (11-25-17) with grandsons of Oneofthepack and Big Dale, wanted to let Big Dale experience an outing so he could inform daughter-in-law on how it was and to let her know there was no reason for concern.
Also to allow Big Dale to adjust his agenda, though process and what he may need to purchase, (i.e. life jacket for Ty, sun screen, Nat Spray, Nat Hat, hat, sun glasses, and even learned not to make the sandwiches in the boat, make them at home) for our trip.
- Share with Big Dale our fishing techniques and presentations of lures, and which lures and jig are bet for what spot / condition / location.
- Share with Big Dale all that Delacroix has to offer, and hopefully put him on some Silverwonders, Big Dale did not know what a Silverwonders was, he goggled lit all he got was rodnreel.com site, he now knows that a Silverwodners is.
- Many, many, many boats out and about, weekend should be a challenge to find a spot where you can fish, much less catch, but at all cost please be courteous.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind not a factor, fish anywhere, anyplace, any angle / presentation all over the place, Matter of fact we were kind of wishing the wind would blow a little to keep the Nats off us, we looked like we had the measles.
- MOVING WATER: (Perfect start of a falling tide, it was a little string at spot # 5, so we looked for openings with a wider opening hoping this would slow tide down, fell all day, at around noon looked to be slowing down pretty good)
- WATER CALRITY: (Very fishable, 3 on eh scale of 1-7, still not the way me like to see it, but getting there.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot 14 23t, 20 (59) t, caught fish at just about all spot numbers.)
- PATIENTS: ( No, No, No, we were run and gun from the start, the action was fast and furious, as the tide slowed so did the bites, but we were on a good 90 minute bite.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………100 FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID NOT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….9999 FISH CUAHGHT WITH THIS LURE
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook…………….0001% OF FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
#5 (1)T, 14 (23)T, 15 (3)T, 2A, 20 (59)T, 61 (2)T, stopped fishing at noon, nats got too bad, turned the Bay Flat Sr west than north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- A sun rise to live for
- ( 87 ) NMR Silverwonders
- (1) White Trout
- (4) Throwback reds
- (4) Stripe Bass
- (1) Big A _ _ freshwater cat fish, (Big Ray nailed him)
- (1) Banana fish
- (2) Oyster shells
- (1) Crab trap
- (2) Pilings
- (2) Bottoms
- (1) Bushel of grass
- (6) Tangled lines
- Had 2 pounds of nats to go along with our sandwich
- Best on the run sandwich me ever had, Big Dale making them at 2mph to keep the nats of us, he must have put a ½ pound of meat on each sandwich, ham & roast beef with mayo, they were great, and the nat dressing was not bad either, Big Dale thanks for the drinks, snacks, and sandwich, much appreciated.
- Being on the water with old & new friend Big Ray / Big Dale what a treat it was to hear them discuss their coaching days coaching their sons in all phases of sports. Me had many years with Big Ray and know what he has accomplished in his life, and what form what me heard from Big Dale, he too excelled in family life & coaching, thanks guys for all the stories & memories
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
It was close today, but as Capt of the day me had to scowl the crew, me said listen up guys if you cannot catch and talk at the same time, stop talking. Me was taking walking the plank, and/or keel hauling the crew if it continued, it got silent for a while and we resumed catching more than talking more.
After a while Big Ray says, but me was only letting you (Oneofthepack) catch up, now me scales where really ruffled, but I the end, as always, the cream came to the top.
Big Dale new to the Bay Flat Sr, not a season veteran of the ways, ins & outs for our spot numbers, techniques, and presentations, he did very good show of it, and me know as time goes by, he will be at his peak and be able to school with the best of us.
Oneofthepack held his own, had me moments, and was / is no need for me head to hang down, but had it not be for that big A_ _ catfish committing suicide, me thing me would have edge out Big Ray.
Big Ray had to many mile stones going for him, first fish, biggest Silverwonder, biggest fish, most fish, last fish, me think he ran the gamete of tell tales of success, so he be fisherperson of the day, but there is always tomorrow and the day after.
Run don’t walk, waste no time, go to Army Surplus store and pick up a few Nat hats, and if you like get the full body like in the attach picture.
Me not like nothing one hands, lotion, Nat spray, etc., but if you have a problem skin so soft, and other products may keep the nats off you, but don’t leave home without some plan for the nats, have plan “B’ & “C” on hand too.
Start time, suggest early be in you spot, fish bite all away all the way till about 11:30 that is when the boats started to run around looking for that honey hole.
Also choose your spot carefully, stay with it, give it plenty time, as if you move someone will take it, and you will have a hard time trying to find a spot to fish. They will be many, many, many, and even many boast out and about, especially the weekend, please be courteous, and on your best behavior and enjoy your time on the water as well as catching the elusive Silverwonders.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“Fishermen are from Earth. Fisherperson are from Earth. Deal with it.”
O & A:
Is fisherpersons intelligence or wisdom more useful?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
- Big Curtis & Big May tomorrow
- Sat off water
- Sunday off water
- Monday Lake P troll trestles
- Tuesday Lake P troll trestles
- Wednesday Kansas Yankees to Delacroix
- Thursday off water
- Friday not sure
- Saturday grandkids trip
- Sunday not sure
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 577 views