Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Conservation and Political Issues
 Wildlife Habitat
 Feral hogs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  4:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it illegal to let hogs go in a wetland? with all the conflict about levees why are people doing this. Don't they know what kind of damage the animals cause?

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  7:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank the predecessors to most of these hogs were turned loose on what used to be open range 50 to 100 years ago. in some cases russian boars were released by various state game and fish departments in the 70's. when i was a kid all of the desoto national forest was open range, and many other national forests were open range as well. people ran cows, pigs and horses on them. they had an annual roundup and branded the calves, but the pigs were virtually impossible to do that to. all through south mississippi we refered to them as piney woods rooters.

remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  7:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure I understand that but down here in Lafourche and the other coastal parishes it is not an option to allow these animals to tear up levees that are already damaged by hurricanes. These animals will attack a human if threaten and with people letting go more and more hogs the outcome will not be to nice look at Texas what is happening there. The outfitter are being attacked just going to check their property.
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  8:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully those folks who have hunting leases on those properties will kill some of them, but as you know lower lafource parish is kinda screwy as to who owns what and where!!

remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  9:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea you know it. I guess when these animals destroy their marshes where they hunt and fish like the nutrias did then they might take another look at what they are doing. Then maybe are children might have some resources!
Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  9:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you might want to find a video....Pig Bomb!
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched it already 2x, make you think what might happen if hogs get out of control. Have 52 acres in Assumption parish should see what they are doing on these ridges. They dig up turtle eggs,will eat anything that they come across snakes,little rabbits,ducks, whatever; people need to realize what kind of damage these animals will do to a habitat and not introduce any more into our wetlands!!
Go to Top of Page

Capt Ron

USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  5:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have trapped over a dozen wild hogs(some over 200 pounds!) in the marshes in just the last year. I have read that once they take over an area, it is practically impossible to eradicate them. The hogs are just too smart-probably smarter than the people who release them!! While they are better than deer on the table, they are much more destructive. All of the hogs I have caught have lots of Russian genetics in them-long straight tails, very thick "razorback" bristle fur and long legs and snout. Nothing like Arnold Ziffel. Incredibly aggresive and mean, they sure taste good! I think it is illegal to release them. And rightly so.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If somebody watched Pig Bomb and didn't learned what kind of destruction these animals can do to our levees shame on you. I have a buddy with 900 acres and it took them 9yrs to just try and control them. Good to eat you bet, hard to hunt oh yea. MY son and I go every chance we get to try and kill some. We have 52 acres and they are tearing up the right of ways, don't like to go on the property without protection have some 400# on cameras. Hate to meet up with them in the swamp because they are very mean and a sow with little ones she will defend them. Hope the people releasing these animals come to their senses.
Go to Top of Page

bigtdaman
Average Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  4:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Send bigtdaman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Check this out guys I live in mid city N.O. .In city park by my house there is a famley of hogs that made there way in during Katrina 4.1/2 years ago.Alot of them have been traped in there but some are still there now. My frind is the preson in charge of the wild life in the park.She told me about this. Theyb have used traps and dogs to get them out but some are still there. she told me they keep getting smater.

I FISH THEREFOR I AM!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bigtdaman
Average Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send bigtdaman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank if you need some help to get the hogs off of your land give me a call i need some target practice.

Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  7:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a problem I have a few places to go that people what to get hogs off their property. Right now thou I have to go back to work just recovering from a little heart surgery but in not long will be going back
Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  9:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of us will help with a "hog harvest"!!
Go to Top of Page

Chris V

432 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  12:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Take care of yourself and don't rush your recovery. Merry Christmas.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Coffeepot Bill
Advanced Member

USA
3966 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  3:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Coffeepot Bill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigtdaman

Check this out guys I live in mid city N.O. .In city park by my house there is a famley of hogs that made there way in during Katrina 4.1/2 years ago.Alot of them have been traped in there but some are still there now. My frind is the preson in charge of the wild life in the park.She told me about this. Theyb have used traps and dogs to get them out but some are still there. she told me they keep getting smater.

I FISH THEREFOR I AM!!!!!!<SPAN STYLE="display: none">

When was the last time that you have heard any news about the hogs of City Park ? Some hogs have been released into the marsh and swamps south of Belle Chasse ... They have prospered there for some time ... A good corn feeder will be the only thing you need to shoot hogs regulary a garbage pile will also help out ...

COFFEEPOT BILL
Go to Top of Page

bigtdaman
Average Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  11:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Send bigtdaman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Billl last time I talked to her was september.this weekend I am going to take a walk back there and see wazz up

Go to Top of Page

Coffeepot Bill
Advanced Member

USA
3966 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  08:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Coffeepot Bill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigtdaman

Frank if you need some help to get the hogs off of your land give me a call i need some target practice.

Mayeah Che If it's ok with you I'll be right behind you pushing the shopping cart to carry your gear for you ... The "old hag next door " wants to get a couple of hog heads to put in the pot for sure ...

COFFEEPOT BILL
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  09:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm been trying to go and hunt but don't have the time right now gone a lot, my pistol and shotgun are gonna shot dustballs out of them!!!! LOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mississippi just opened an anytime, anywhere, any weapon season on hogs 24-7, day or night! and the really wild thing is that the group of idiots they had as commissoners in the early 70's bought the russian boars and stocked them around the state!!

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need to find some time off!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Coffeepot Bill
Advanced Member

USA
3966 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Coffeepot Bill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed mcintyre

mississippi just opened an anytime, anywhere, any weapon season on hogs 24-7, day or night! and the really wild thing is that the group of idiots they had as commissoners in the early 70's bought the russian boars and stocked them around the state!!

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children

Hey Ed

When are you going P.I.G.HOG hunting again ? "THE OLD HAG NEXT DOOR "
she wants two hog heads ... I think it has some thing to do with
GRE<>GRE SACKS ... Them things stink to hign heaven ... When she goes to cooking them things half the neighbor leaves for three days... I usually call one of the friends ... I usually stay a week at his place on Paw-Paw Bayou ...Some of the people they come back early...Those are the ones at the far end of the lane ... Hollar at me when you are thinking about going...

COFFEEPOT BILL
Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  4:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old lady is probabally making hog head cheese, but sure I'll get in touch with ya'll!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  6:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not planning on killing any hogs anytime soon. ed

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000