After a little 5 ½ hour road trip today, and a stop or too along the way, me made it home just in time to plan an evening trip on Lake P. When you need a first mate quickly, who you goanna call, Big PJ be the one. One call that’s all, me popped the question, yessum says Big PJ, pick you up at 3 says me. This be the quickest me ever put a trip together in a long time, pursued it with the hopes of some BIG girls that wanted to join us for a sun set viewing on Lake P.
- Needed some relaxing time
- Bay Flat Jr was loaded and ready to go she always be on standby for a quick outing
- 3 PM meet up, Big PJ 3 minutes late, me tell him we don’t have much time, darkest comes quickly this time of year
- Had one other boat launched, me felt good about this, we not the only nuts trying to go fish this evening
- Yamaha Nightmare Machine was just that took 10-12 pulls to get her started, cold nature lady she be, but once you got her hot, she good for all day.
- 3:16 PM we in the honey hole, trolling away along the trestles
- East wind 8-10 MPH steady all evening
- 5 to 2 foot rollers coming through the trestles, real nice it be
- Sunny & clear
- Cool temps, jump suite much appreciated
- Water level down 10-14”
- Water temp 56.0F
- Tide rising all evening , we could see our lines working away from the trestles
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a weak minus 3 somewhat clear but very sandy looking
- We had the whole Lake P to ourselves, we could troll anywhere we wanted and not be interrupted on the North / south side, and / or the west / east side from Northshore to south shore, it be wide open.
- Not many Loons out and about, this be a bad sign, we saw 2 or 3 along the trestles
- Very relaxing, quiet, soothing, peaceful, beautiful evening with one hell of a sun set.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Get some fishing time in before the weekend, seems the weather may not be at its best for fishing
- Learn what learn can about fishing Lake P, and the secrets of trolling the trestles
- Me was looking to meet another one of those BIG girls that hang around the trestles, looking for the twin of the one me caught the other day.
- The lure of the BIG girls, in can become addictive, once you have experience it, all you want is one more hit, to feel the strike, best feeling in the world.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (This criteria, not important with this techniques we use today, wind has no factor on it.)
- MOVING WATER: (Rising when we got there, rising when we left, me think so, it could have been the wind pushing it, had some foam on top of the water, when this happens me think the tide is slack or dead, but it was moving.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not to me liking, 3 minus it be, but it was very fishable that is all that counts)
- HOLDING FISH: (North draw to the second sign that indicates how many feet to bridge, both caught right in that zone) west side of trestles
- PATIENTS: ( We were in position at 3:30, did not get a hit or catching anything until 4:41 PM, after that, not bites, so we needed some patients, but the sun set kept us busy and alert to any hits we might have gotten.)
- SKILL: (Knowledge, & memory, we had made a past from bridge all the way out to FB- 8 nothing, says me pick up lets go, Big PJ not felling like going in so says he can we fish from 5 minutes on the north side of the bridge, no problem says me. As we riding back in, it hit me, there was a time when we trolled with an incoming tide, and we could not get a hit fishing close to the trestles. We moved away from the trestles 15 to 20 yards and trolled, so me says let’s give it a try here. It was not long before Big PJ hooked up, we made another past another NMR Silverwonder, made 2 more passes nothing. But by changing our strategy & technique we, let’s say Big PJ found 2 that wanted to join him for dinner.)
- LUCK: (No rod & reels lost, got to see great sunset)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………NOTHING
- Drift with the wind cast & retrieve (DWWC&R)……………DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head …………ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE / RIG!!
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
North draw, west side, out to FB-8, made one pass nothing, north of bridge to FB-5 to FB-4 nothing
- Lived to fish another day
- (2) (NMR)Silverwonders
- (4) Pilings
- (4) Bottoms
- (1) Popped line
- Learned more about fishing Lake P & tolling of Lake P
- Quick easy trip
- Relax time
- Fresh cool air in me lungs
- Viewing of a beautiful sunset
- Seeing Big PJ hook up & catch 2, made me day
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
There is no doubt today, Big PJ caught twice as many as Oneofthepack, he be fisherperson of the day, but more impressing than that we did not lose any rods & reels today, and he improved his ratio of fish to poles by one, so it was like a tri-factor type performance, he be Fisherperson of the day.
Speed (1.4 to 1.6 mph) , amount of line out, boat position, (distance from trestles) boat angle to trestles, and playing Russian roulette with the trestles, (if you not hooking up on them now and then, and / or hooking up on bottom now & then, you not doing it right) are the combinations / technique / presentation needed when trolling Lake P.
Lure, we use a ¾ oz. round lead head with a short shank hook, (Buy them at GUS) we string on a Matrix Shad Lemon Drop on it.
We like a bait caster reel, a stiff rod, 6# power pro with a 12-16” 15-20# mono leader.
We drop (drop me say) lure over the side still it hits bottom, me keep me thumb on the spool, twitch twitch, immediately after twitch me take me thumb off spool and let line out to let lure fall faster, me keep doing this to me feel bottom and/or pilings. We always keep working lure with a twitch forward. Never twitch with a free spool a mess you will have, birds nest too.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
It takes patience to catch, it takes skill to pretend you’re catching.
O & A:
Why are fisherpersons so susceptible to magical thinking?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Me no not when, Me no not where, Me no not how, but me know it will be, cause fishing just happens.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 695 views