Familyofthepack got back late Thursday from vacation down south, all had a great time, lots of food, drink, party, swimming, and a little bit of dancing.
Me would like to say me been off the water for (9) days, but me actually been in the water for most of the (9) days, me in the pools acting like a fish, and chasing tails
Me back, first call was to Big Bud to see if he wanted to try a trip to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island, after checking with the boss. Big Sue, we were a go for today.
- What a vacation, fun, fun, fun even when the bill came it was still fun, fun, and fun.
- Me was getting a little concern, (like most of you fisherperson) me developed a callous along me outer edge of me right index finger, from tip to bottom side of thumb, from playing with me rod, and catching Silverwonders, when me callous start to disappear, me know me been of the water much too long, on this vacation area was getting real soft, not a good sign
- Up early for our 4:15 AM meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor
- No wild life sightings, along Hwy 11 & 90, don’t know where they all went, don’t even see any road kill
- Big Bud and me where confused as we did not see many boats on the Hwy, either we real early,, or they really late, anyways we found them ALL down in Delacroix
- Passed on Waffle House, had to stop at McDonnel, and passed on Last Stop food store
- Check point Able, water level down a little
- Check point Bravo, water not moving much in Reggio canal
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, she hanging high and dry, me was a little concern cause me got a call from someone asking if me where going to pick up me boat, storm question guess
- Transferred all gear from FORD transporter to Bay Flat Sr
- Put the top down. Boat runs better with it down
- Asked Big Bud to cross his fingers as me had not run the Yamaha Dream Machin in 9 days, made 3 urns and she fired right up. What a relief.
- No stop at Lionel’s none needed we had all needed on board the Bay Flat Sr
- Big Earl and his crew backing out of their slip, they on their way out too.
- Off to spot # 14 to start our day.
- Met Big Earl and crew at spot # 14, then the ran to spot # 5
- Stopped at Bens, for sandwiches and hot tamales on the way home, Daughterofthepack loves hot tamales.
- W. wind 8-10 MPH not much
- A little clouds around, but mostly sunny and clear
- Mild temps, (cool when clouds where overhead) all the way to the red button ready to pop out
- Water level down 12-14”
- Water temp 87.9F getting to hot
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7, was a 4 plus, looked real good all over, some areas better than others, but all areas be fishable
- Tide falling hard all day, when we left 10:55 AM it was still falling hard in some areas, me think the wind was driving the water out, even though the tide was supposed to come in.
- Grass is staring to close in, you can now see where the channels are in some areas, me like this time of the year to ride around and find where the channel are, and where the current lines develop.
- Boats all over the place, where ever there was a wet spot, be boat was set up on it catching 12-15” reds.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Check out spot # 14, confirm that Silverwonders have left the marsh, and if the reds wanted to play
- Being off the water for 9 days, me not sure where to fish, we at spot # 14 7:10 AM, need to make a decision go east to Twin Pipeline, are go west to Grand Lake. Time to flip a coin, me ask Big Bud do you have a coin, yes says he, flip it, heads we go east, tails we go west, tails it be, so we fished our way back to Grand Lake , checking the water condition and other conditions in each spot #.
- Get me self-back I shape to fish hard
- See if me could survive the heat, and how long me could last under the sun
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind not a factor today, it helped us do the Oak River Troll, and for the most part where we set up wind was ta our back)
- MOVING WATER: (We had plenty, but me think it was wind driven, tide fell all day, was supposed to turn around, around 9 AM plus, but never did, it just kept pouring out all day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (This criteria no problem, looked go all over, Point Fienne, Oak River and north south pipeline looked the best all year, Orange Bayou & Oak River was a little dirty, but very fishable.)
- HOLDING FISH: (This criteria was the challenge of the day, no spot numbers holding fish, unless you count croakers, me think with dead bait you could sink your boat with croakers.)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed some today, but being off the water for 8 plus days, just the challenge of the quest was enough to keep us interested and alert all morning.)
- SKILL: (Catching small croakers with H&H Purple Beetle)
- LUCK: (Living with the flip of a coin)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………99% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(1) FISH CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….9% CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………1% CAUHT WITH THIS LURE
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- HARD PLASTIC SHRIMP CAUGHT 1 NICE SILVERWONDER
- AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 14 (2)t, 15, 2A, 17, 21, 20, 22, 23, 60, 61, 61A, B, C, D, 64D (1)t, 64, 64A, stopped fishing at 10:40 AM, turned the b\Bay Flat Sr north for quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (3)Silverwonders, 1 throw back
- (6) Reds, 5 throw backs
- (5) Croakers
- (3) Gaff Tops
- Feeling 80 plus taps, croakers are all over the place, they trying to eat the beetles, but we could not set the hook in them, me just like feeling that tap!!!!!!!!!
- (3) Bottoms
- (3) popped lines, bottom
- (2) Bushels of grass
- Peanut butter crackers that Big May & Big Curtis lest of the Bay Flat Sr
- Being back on the water and in the longitude / latitude me love best, this be me attitude adjuster for sure
- Spending the morning on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, big Bud, (aka Eastofmrgo)
- Me feedback from other Team Jo-Jo team, & other fisherpersons fishing a little off this weekend, this be from Hopedale to Delacroix, inside & outside.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
It was close, but me think Oneofthepack finally edged out Eastofmrgo for today’s honors, it is a very rare occasions when me even come close to think about the possibility of me hanging with the best, but me think the Gaff Tops put me over the top, and me taking this opportunity to claim me fame today
Me think Big Bud was still wore out a little from out fishing Big Capt Don (as he likes to be called) , (aka Perchwhisper) with the reds, Bass, and perches they caught last week. Big Don said the next time he gets to fish the front of the boat!!!!!
Silverwonders in the marsh me think have left, but me not sure just yet. Me think if you get an early start, catch what catch can, and get out of the heat you will enjoy the trip more.
And maybe an evening trip, fish to dusk may be more productive then the morning.
“YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW”
PONDER OF THE DAY:
We consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.
O & A:
Wouldn’t it be nice if whenever we have a catch less trip we could simply press ‘Ctrl Alt Delete’ and start all over?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Nothing plan, fishing in summer pattern, but me love to catch, but me love fishing more, so me will be out and about soon.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 471 views