Frist mate for today be Big Burgan ((12) Granddaughterofthepack) along with her crew Big Karley, & Big Sydney, friends & fellow actress in the theater world. Me was not quite sure how this all lady trips was going to make out, ratio of 3-1. Me knew me would have a challenge to keep up with all 3, baiting, casting, removing fish for them, but the fish god took care of us and gave us Big Burgan, she and Big Karley teamed up, and Big Sydney and Oneofthepack where a tram too.
• Big Chuck celebrated his 85th birthday Saturday night so got to bed a little late
• Crew sleep over with Loveofthepack and Oneofthepack’s abode, by the time we got home them already cooking a preparing food for trip tomorrow.
• Me check with Big Burgan went down the list. Every question me had she had all taking care of, so me laid me head down and went to sleep, they still up having fun.
• 4:00 AM alarm goes off, jump in shower 4:20 me wake the girls, slow, slowly they got up.
• By 4:45 Am we in the FORD transporter heading down the road
• No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
• No boats on Hwy , gas stations, and boat launches
• Hit rain on top of the green bridge
• Made a stop to bring items that may get wet
• Made a stop at the Night / Day das station in violet, picked dups some ice, and some of those over size biscuits for me & crew.
• Sill raining pretty good, so much me did not check point Abel or Bravo.
• Passed the Bay Flat Sr up wanted to ill some time to see what the rain would do.
• Made a stop at Sweetwater for the ladies to sue the poddy
• By the time we got back to Lionel’s they were open, stop by and talk to Mike, still no word on funeral for Lionel.
• Made our way back to the slip, me asked the crew what they wanted to do, like troopers they say let’s go, know not who the speaking to, so we go, not bad at first but when we hit Grand Lake, the floods started, keep flooding all the way across to our first and only stop.
• Very little wind
• Over cast and wet day
• Rain, rain, and more rain, me had to bail out the Bay flat Sr, it let up around 9:00 Am even saw the sun peek out from the clouds for a second
• Cool times, made colder with the rain
• Smooth ride to Little Alek, wind picked up S.W. 6-8 mph
• Water level up 12-16”
• Water temp 83.3F
• Slack tide, never did move
• Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus
• Saw 1 other boat
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
• Be safe
• Have fun
• Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
• This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
• Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
• Put the ladies on some fish
• Get the ladies a sun tan
• Share knowledge / technique / presentation with ladies. Not lure fishing lure fishing off, but fishing with dead shrimp.
• Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
1 WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind not a factor especially fishing with bait)
2 MOVING WATER: (This criteria was our challenge for the day, no moving water, the wind not even moving it)
3 WATER CALRITY: (Minus 3 not bad, not as important when fishing with dead bit, smell will find the fish or vs. veracity)
4 HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 64)
5 PATIENTS: ( Had a lot of action today, either trying to get out of the rain, handling the bites and/or reeling in a few fish, we are where pretty energetic the whole time)
6 SKILL: (Knowing when to set the hook, and how to take a cat fish off the hook.)
7 LUCK: (Having such talent & beauty on board the Bay Flat Sr for a morning of fishing)
• Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………FISH BOTTOM WITH SHRIMP
• Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
• Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
• Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
• Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
• Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
• Dead bait………NONE
• Live bait…………………ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH DEAD SHIMP, CAROLINA RIG, and AND/OR WITH SHRIMP ON JIG HEAD.
• LURE DU JOURE:
• 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
• 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
• Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64, stopped fishing at 9:25 AM, ladies / crew anxious to get back in before it started to rain again.
• Lived to fish another day
• (0) Silverwonders
• (2) Throwback Reds
• (1) Croaker
• (12) Fresh water cats
• (2) Gaff Tops
• (2) Hard heads
• (2) Sting Rays
• (5) Crabs
• (2) Bottoms, popped lines
• (1) Shoreline popped line
• (3) Tangled lines
• Great food, snacks, & drinks which no one act or drank, to busy catching and fighting the rain
• Observing the competition between the ladies on they trying to reach (10) fish first.
• Having a crew that believe in the moto “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” even when the conditions are as such to the determent of going!!!!!
• Sharing a morning on the water with (3) of the best fisherperson me know, Big Sydney, Big Karley, and Big Burgan they be
• Made the call T to Bens for hot tamales and pizza, but they close
• Plan “B”, (always have a plan “B”) we made it to Chop Stick in Slidell had a great lunch, got eh bill it was $442.00. Me usually don’t comment / complain at restaurants, so before me jumped the gun me asked the waitress if the trip included, NO says she, is their right say me, yes says she $42.00, me ask her to look at it. At first she did not catch it, then she was all apologetic, not to worry say me no big thing we got it straighten out in no time.
• New Team Jo-Jo moto “Always check ticket for total”, they only way me caught it was me was trying to figure out the tip.
• Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Burgan with quick start with a nice Rat Red, got a Sting Ray, Big Croaker, nothing in the crab department, she had a lot of action, but her action diminished , (me gave her extra points for heling out Big Karley, slowed her down a little)as the morning went along. But with all her accomplishment she feel short by one fish.
Big Karley was on a crab run catching 4 of the 5 crabs, had a few cat fish, and the changed to close the door on the competition with a BIG RED, but all of us fisherperson know this story about the one that got away. She did have the biggest Gaff Top, and when she landed it a 3” shiner came out of its mouth, says she can I count that one too, it was an unanimous NO to that question. We all gave her a BIG “E” for effort, but she too a little short for fisherperson to the day
Big Karley was steady Mary, just kept to her technique, baiting, casting, setting the hook, reeling them in, and letting me take them off for her, Big Karley reached (10) with one to spare, for fisherperson of the day.
Seems bait is the key for action, live/ dead don’t think it makes a different, but dead bait cheaper then live is the way me look at it, and fishing with lures cheaper than that.
Always have a good looking crew, you never know who you might meet on the water.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“The most important thing in a relationship between a fisherman and a fisherperson is that one of them be good at taking orders.”
O & A:
What have you done today to make someone’s life better?
TEAM JO-JO’S FUTURE STRATAGEM:
• Monday meeting with crew that to make Du South Charters Chandelier trip in October, still looking for a couple more crew members.
• Tuesday with Capt Don (as he likes to be called) and me will be looking for bass & reds
Hope to see all you fisherperson out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 635 views