It was a little challenge to schedule a trip with Big Judy, had a couple of issues that made it tough to pick a day where we both could make it, but today was we would run around in the Bay Flat Sr to see what our Disney World known as Delacroix Island has to offer.
- Hit the gym Saturday morning, came home and sleep the rest of the day, had no problem sleeping to 3:10 AM Sunday morning.
- Loaded up the FOTD transporter quickly, wanted to be on time for our meet up at Team Jo-Jo’s official meeting place, the Waffle House in Chalmette
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, not a good sign
- As me going down Hwy 90, about a mile or so pass Hwy 11 & 90 junction, me see a man, no shirt, shoes, just sitting in the middle of the Hwy. He looked like he was sleeping up right. Me did not know how to judge this sighting, good or bad sign, in any case called 911 and relied all info to them. Me asked the lady if me needed to stay around, no says she we will dispatch someone to get him.
- Man, many, many boats on Hwy, gas stations, and at the launches, fish must be jumping into the boat.
- Got to meet Capt Gary Estopinal of Reel Time Charters, he too was eating breakfast at Waffle House. We talked fishing the whole time, until me crew arrived. From the short conversation with Capt Gary, me think he be a good Capt to fish with, as he knows his catching.
- After loading all Big Judy gar in the FORD transporter we were off for a quick ride to the home of the Bay Flat Sr
- Check pint Able water down 4” from last time
- Check point Bravo water falling Reggio Canal
- Arrived at slip, gave short but precise safety speech
- Big Judy helped unload all the gear into the Bay Flat Sr
- Lowered her down in the water loaded her up, Yamaha Dream Machin took to cranks to fire up, now ready to go.
- Backing down out of the slip, when……………………BONG!! We get pulled back into the slip, forgot to untie bow rope, new fist mateperson what can me say. Says to Big Judy, this is a sign boat telling us not to go.
- Made a stop at Lionel’s for some go juice, ice, and 50 live shrimp, me think Big Judy will need a lot of assistance to catch today.
- Off to spot # 64 to start out day
- E.S.E. wind 4-6 mph, calm from 10 to 11, then picked up to 6-8 mph
- Partly cloudy. Sun came out for about (2) hours then cloudy again. We got one rain storm, not bad but did get a lot of water in a short period. But we both where ready with rain suites.
- Mild temp, warm, warmer, hot, hottest, little red button popped out when sun came out, it was very hot & humidity level was HIGH.
- Water temp 81.9 F
- Water level down 4”
- Tail end of a falling tide, turned around about 10:00 AM
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus, the further out we went the worst the water looked.
- Boats all over the marsh, no problem if you broke down cause they had one at ever point, cut, canal, current line
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Get Big Judy on some action, on the way out she says to me saw on report by Sweetwater the Silverwodners are all over, says me don’t believe everything you hear, says she they had pictures, not the pressure really on Oneofthepack .
- Run around survey all spots / areas for Intel and future use on trips coming up.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (E.S.E. at 4-6 was no problem, you could fish anywhere, any locations, any direction you wanted to fish. This wind also afforded us the ability to do the Oak River Troll in many of our spot numbers.)
- MOVING WATER: (Tail end of a falling tide, start of a rising tide, don’t get any better than theses condition, re: tide. We found most of our spot numbers had a very define current line to fish, just the way we like it.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not a problem, very fishable, as we moved out to North / South pipeline water got a lot cloudier, not good looking at all.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 24 & 64 where the hot spots for both reds & Silverwonders.)
- PATIENTS: (Up until 11:09 AM we had to have some patients, as it was little reds and very slow, but as usual with the talking going on, and the beauty of the marsh, time went by faster than we would have liked it to.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………….95% of fish caught
- Oak River Troll (ORT)…………..Nothing
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) did not try
- Oak River Skim (ORS) did not try
- Cork did………nothing
- Dead bait none
- Live bait ………………Caught all cat fish, 10 reds, and 1 Silverwonder
lure du jour:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook….nothing
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook…… Did not try
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………Caught all Silverwonders, 10 reds, and the Big Gar.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64, A,B,C,61,18E,D,C,B,A,17,20,21,22,23,24,61C,64 (9)t, stopped fishing at 1:00 PM trued the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (9 ) NMR Silverwonders, (1) throw back
- (1) Missed BIG NMR at boat
- (20) Reds (16) throw backs
- (3) Stripe bass
- (1) Croaker
- (7) Fresh water cats
- (1) 4 foot plus Gar (Big Judy)
- (1) Crab
- (1) Popped line big fish (Big Judy)
- (1) bottom
- (1) Clam Shell
- (2) Oyster shells
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Picked up a Noddle rig for gars, just to show do Big Judy what was under the cork. We must have saw 40 -50 of the Noddle rigs out and about, and me think 85% of them had gars on it. They were all over the place.
- Great food, snacks, drinks as provided by Big Judy, you the manperson!
- Did not break any poles, this a real good sign
- At the start it was a little frustrated, as what every could happen, happen, but In the latter morning and into the evening things settled down and we all got to relax and have fun.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Things where really slow, so says me quarter on the next fish, Big Judy says she in, me think me owe her a quarter.
If we count only Silverwonders, me think me had a shot, but with the reds, catfish, Stripe Bass, and the lonely one Silverwonder she caught made it close. However the Big Gar just blew me out of the water, Big Judy Fisherperson of the day.
Me think she had a great time, as says she a happy hooker.
Not sure, except for the 9 Silverwonders we caught, me would have said it is over inside, me guess on days like today you have to be in the right spot at the right time.
If me was to go tomorrow me think me would try to be on the water by 11:30 AM and catch the start, (be in your honey hole at this time) of the incoming tide.
Live shrimp was ok, but only (1) Silverwonder caught with it, guess better to have some then not.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
A charming fisherperson… doesn’t follow the crowd. She is herself.
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Off the water till Thursday, taken a train ride with grandkidsofthepack to a water park in Mississippi, me will be looking for a place to fish either the Casino or Lake.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 821 views