Me just had to end 2018 with catching a Silverwonder, laid in bed in the early AM what to do what to do. Checked the Rodnreel.com posting, after reading Don’s Outdoor Debacles report and his encountered Sunday with the fog down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island this not be an option. Me checked the weather in Lake P and the tide chart for Slidell, both looking good. Stuck me head out the door, fog , this be what me been looking for, now me only one concerned it be the condition of the water, and me know “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” so go me did.
- End of year challenge
- Next up begging of year challenge 2019, need to catch a Silverwonder tomorrow, me like to start new year off with a Silverwonder, that mean me catch them all year.
- Loveofthepack & Daughterofthepack made the hot tamales last night, cook them today for party tonight.
- Me got a break did not have to help with hot tamales, me had a procedure done (urgent care) on me with finger, me did the surgery on meself, but things got worst fast and Loveofthepack mandated me go to doctor, or no fishing.
- After one week with Jo-Jo II, me gave her back to Daughterofthepack, we not ready for a puppy at our stage of life. She is a beautiful puppy, and my daughter gave me the best x-mas gift that should could have ever imagine. But she could never ever replace Jo-Jo, I want to remember those memories not try to duplicate and/or create new ones.
- Our only hope is that she will get a great home and they will give her the life she deserves.
- Very tough decision, me made it alone.
- Needed some alone time, where better to spend it them on the water.
- E. wind 10-12 mph steady
- 2 ½ to 3 ½ foot waves, Bay Flat Jr had lots of ups & downs, but did not take on any water. Waves did run me in trolled for about an hour, left them biting.
- Fog, did not last long wind took care of it
- Partly cloudy, nasty looking clouds in the S.E. coming me way
- Raining on me on the way out, did not last long, me need to start bring me rain gear with me
- Mild temps, jump suite on to keep rain off me
- Water temp 60F
- Water level up 18-22”
- Tide falling
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 6 plus, dark, clean, clear, perfect it be
- No boats out and about me be it all alone had the trestles all to meself.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine, took 8 pulls to get her started.
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Confirm verify on site conditions
- Close out 2018 with me last Silverwodners for the year
- See if the big girls showed up yet along the trestles, me like what me caught, this maybe the time to be trolling Lake P
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Had a cross wind on a 45 degree angle, made for a 3 foot bow in me line, made it tough to feel the bottom, me just kept leaving line out until me felt it hit the pilings, then me reeled in a little to keep it off the pilings, wind a big factor on today’s outing.)
- MOVING WATER: (Appeared to be falling, had to keep the Bay Flat Jr a little further from the trestles so as not to hook up on them, it is a fine line between speed, enough line out, and staying as close to the pilings as possible)
- WATER CALRITY: (Best of the best, perfect, cannot find any better looking / clarity water)
- HOLDING FISH: (Between FB 2 & 3 both Silverwodners caught along that stretch)
- PATIENTS: ( Took all of 12 minutes to catch the first one, me heading south, waves to much so me turned a round at FB 4, and trolled north, it almost the same spot caught the last one, waves ran me in)
- SKILL: (Learning the combination, weight of lure, speed of boat, amount of line let out, distance from trestles, side of trestles to troll, (me like west side) and direction of trolling (i.e. north or south), this be the skill needed.)
- LUCK: (No get wet, no take on water, me got me last Silverwonder for 2018
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY!!
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head …ALL FISH CUAGHT WITH THIS RIG / COMBINATION
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Lake P between FB 2 & 3
- Lived to fish another day
- (2) NMR Silverwonders
- (2) Pilings
- No popped lines
- Me quest for end of 2018
- Plenty fresh air
- Alone time on the water
- Quick trip with some good results & intel
- Made a shoreline fisherperson day, gave him the Silverwonders, know they made his day, and me sure he will sue them to make someone else’s day, play it forward!
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
It was almost a tie, if me had caught one more it would have been a tie, between me, meself, & I.
Fishing Lake P is tough to fish, even tougher to catch, you have so many variables to concern yourself with, (i.e. wind, tide, current, current lines, water clarity, weather, boats & fish location, etc.) unlike other areas (i.e. Delacroix) you can move around and find the conditions you are looking for. You can run around and get out of the wind, find moving water, located a current line, find clean water, get out of the weather, and not have to fight those elements during your trip.
But me here to tell you, when you get that hit / catch (3# Silverwonder) trolling along the trestles, Lake P fishing gets into your blood, you become addicted to the quest of dancing with as many Silverwodners as you can, and are happy to dance with just one, it be such a feeling like no other in my 286 memory bank.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
To fish is one of the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
O & A:
What does the ideal fishing trip look like?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Me be off in the AM, (know not ware) looking for me 2019 Silverwonder to start the New Year off right.
Hope all your trips in 2019 are the beast trip of your life, until the next one.
Happy New Year & Good Fishing
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 464 views