Trip for today not even plan, me had to bring Loveofthepack to the dealership for them to work on her car, made a stop at Randazzo’s for some king cakes, made a delivery of cakes, and Silverwonder filets to the lady who is working on me back, then made a stop at Ace Hardware to pick up some items to fix me big ice chest, by the time Big PJ 7 me spoke it was around 9:40 am.
This be when the trip was discussed, on the way home me ran out to Tites Place to see what the conditions looked like, as me pulled in our subdivision, Big PJ outside, me stop by and ask the question, says me you want to go. Me knew the answer before me asked the question, but before he answered me shared me Intel and the conditions out in Lake P.
Wind is so, so but manageable, there is some light rain going on and me only saw one trailer at the launch. Says he you make the call, no says me you make the call, we went back and forth a few times. Then me said lets flip a coin, me flipped it, says to him call it if you get it right we, tails says he, tails it is, pack it up be back in 10 minutes to pick you.
We were on the water and in the honey hole for 10:10 AM.
- Me thinking about the rabbit that crossed me path in Big Andrew subdivision, me knew it was a good sign, hast to waste a good sign.
- I did a few good deeds this morning, felt a reward may be coming
- Me had texted Big PJ last night about going but no response, not a good sign
- Had a little problem getting the trailer back out of the water, felt we could address that when we get back
- Did not see and / or feel any negative vibrations
- East wind 12-15 MPH steady as she blew
- Every now an then a 3 foot wave would roll by, but all in all waves not that bad
- Overcast day
- Light rain, stopped, than started to get a little more liquid sunshine
- Cool to cold day, jumpsuit stayed on all day
- Water level down 12-14”
- Water temp me guess 53* F
- Tide appeared to be falling, might have turn not sure, wind was as such, made it hard to see any sings of it coming in.
- Water clarity on a scale from 1-7 was a 6 minus, clean, clear, but had a lime color look to it
- Sawed green skiff trolling, this be a great sign, me hopes went up off the chart
- Had a Seacat on the east side of the trestles, he be fishing all day, and working that area hard, he says he was catching.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Needed to know, and we know, “You got to go to know” this trip answered a number of questions we had about trolling Lake P & the trestles. We felt like the cats, and curiosity did not kill us, but solved our itch to know.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (We had a cross wind, but it did not impact our ability to troll the trestles, if we had been casting we would be throwing into the wind, this would have been difficult to maintain a tight line while retrieving your lure.)
- MOVING WATER: (Me think it was falling, then stopped, less that is what it looked like, we caught fish from start to finish, our last pass north to south produced (2) big NMR Silverwonders,
- WATER CALRITY: (Clean, but clarity a little off, looked like a lime color, but the Silverwonders did not seem to mind)
- HOLDING FISH: (We ran out to the south side of the north draw, hooked up on the pilings (3) times, east wind was a little stronger, and the waves where a little bigger to maneuver around for the Bay Flat Jr, so se went back on the north side of the north draw bridge. We had a concentration of fish between FB 2 & 6, we just kept going back & forth between the (2), north then south. We were on the west side of the trestles all the time.)
- PATIENTS: ( Both of us where to psyched up to even need any patients, all the signs where align, green skiff, and all the criteria’s mention above, and when we caught our first fish, we were all focused in at that time, just waiting for the next BIG tap)
- SKILL: (Past, present, and future knowledge of the how too’s to fish Lake P)
- LUCK: (We survived Mother Nature, did not get wet too much, and even caught a few fish for our efforts, and that of challenging the weather conditions.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….ALL FISHES CAUGHT THIS WAY. KEY WAS HAVING ENOUGH LINE OUT, AND THE CORRECT ANGEL ON THE TRESTLES.)
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head, THIS LURE /RIG CAUGT ALL FISH.)
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
FB 2 TO FB 6, west side of the trestles.
- Lived to fish another day
- (7) NMR Silverwonders
- (1) Bull Redworrier, (1) Ratworrier
- (4) Popped lines
- (8) Pilings
- (2) Bottoms
- (1/4) bushel of grass
- Cured our curiosity of trolling Lake P, and our itch to do so.
- Great mid-morning on Lake P with one of the best fisherpersons me know, that be Big PJ, along with his attitude for trolling Lake P, he be relentless when it comes to this technique & presentation to the fishes.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Me caught the first one, talked a little trash, then Big PJ caught one, now we get down to some serious fishing with very little talk.
Big PJ gets a bite, line pulling out, we slow down and turn the boat sideways west to fight the fish, but after a while we realize it be a piling he hooked up on.
Up next Big PJ catch another, not much said, other then says he it is awfully quite around her, me grit me teethe, and says we have a ways to go, me know says he.
Big PJ gets hung up again, we turn around to go get unhooked, but me turned onto the bridge had to back up to kept form hitting it, straighten back up run toward where he hooked up, but we cannot ever get the slack of the line out. As we kept moving father, now the line right under the boat, me says you did not have much line out, about that time the line goes straight down and the pole starts bending heavy. After a 10-12 minute fight Big PJ reels in his bull red.
Now the pressure is on Oneofthepack, Big PJ ahead (1) Silverwonder & (1) Bull Redworrier, Big PJ was a gentlemen about it, did not talk too much trash talk, he knew it was a good swim back.
But then scales turned, one came, in, another came in, Ratworrier came in, then another, then another (NMR) Silverwonder came in, all Big PJ could says was me can count, he said that a few times.
But for his Bull Redworrier, and his presentence, Big PJ fisherperson of the day, but there is always tomorrow.
WE think Lake P is primed up, Silverwonders looking forward to the trollers and the lures & presentations they have to offer, just ‘GOT TO GO TO KNOW”!!!!!
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Never let the fear of catching keep you from fishing.
O & A:
Are emotions necessary for fisherpersons survival?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
- Off the water for a while, maybe the weekend, hope to see all you fisherperson out and about until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 600 views