Today we chase the Silverwonders in another land, first mate Big PJ, and Oneofthepack made a run at the Silverwodners along the Lake P trestles, trolling ¾ oz. jigs, matched up with Matrix Shad Lemon Drop.
Big PJ has been dreaming about this trip since last January, end of last December and to mid-January we had some dream trips, BIG Silverwonders, and limits every time we went out, those trips, and results where imbedded in Big PJ heart / mind and he been looking forward to trying to make it happen again.
- Up early for 5:45 meet up at BIG PJ abode
- Arrive at boat launch at 6:10, wind blowing pretty hard, almost called it off
- 17 pulls to start the Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- Saw quite a few of Loons working the trestles, this a good sing
- Many Pelicans running the train track ready to dive on anything to eat another, good sign
- (24) boats along the trestles another good sig
- N.E wind 8-10 mph
- Partly cloudy
- Mild temps, jump suite on all morning
- Water level looked down little
- Water temp me think around 68.4F
- Tide rising, or the wind was pushing the water in
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 6 would have been a 7 but looked a little brown and sandy looking, you could see the lure down 3-4 feet.
- Boats all along the trestles, had a hard time finding a section of trestles to troll
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Survey, challenge, and conquer the trolling of Lake P trestles, see if our technique / presentation was still applicable in Lake P as last year.
- We set our goal for (2) Silverwonders for the day
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No problem as we were trolling, wind kind 45* off our back)
- MOVING WATER: (Rising tide, close to a changing, water came in all morning, but showed signs of slowing down, and scum on top of the water is a sign tide will be changing shortly.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not a factor, looked real good, if only we could this clean water at Delacroix.)
- HOLDING FISH: (This was our challenge for the day, caught them scattered out from North Draw out to just past mile marker 174.)
- PATIENTS: ( It did not take long for Big PJ to hook up, but bites, and catching was far and in-between, however just being on the water trolling Lake P kept my interest all morning, plus the fact that Big PJ had 2 in the boat and me none was also a motivated to fish.
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID NOT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….(5) Silverwonders
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………(5) SILVERWONDERS
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
North Draw, to mike marker 174, FP7, 8, &9 west side of train tracks, stopped fishing at 9:35 AM.
- Lived to fish another day
- ( 5) NMR Silverwonders
- (1) Missed set of hook
- (3) Bottoms
- (2) popped lines, (bottom)
- (1/4) bushel of grass
- Learned new technique for fishing Lake P at trestles, it seems corks, (don’t know if they popping corks or sideling corks, if me had to guess it would be sliding corks.) & live shrimp is the technique for today. Boats just drifting along the trestles throwing corks with live shrimp out, we could see few caught this way. Most of the boats had corks in the water.
- Learned the castle in Lake Borgne, is a hot spot, got Intel from a friend of Big PJ they had 35 in the 2-3 pound range by 10:00 AM today, fishing live shrimp on the bottom.
- Spending and experiencing the thrill of trolling Lake P, and watching Big PJ smile from ear to ear.
- Me had almost forgot the feel of when the Silverwonder hits the lure trolling, I is like a freight truck hitting a wall, just hold on and set the hook, enjoy the fight, what a feeling.
- Good breakfast at Waffle House, Big PJ treat made it even taste better then normal.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Today’s honor goes to the fisherperson who caught the first, biggest, and last Silverwonder of the morning, and the last one of the morning, that be BIG PJ, once again he out catches Oneofthepack .
It was 2 to 0, but like the Saints Oneofthepack was mounting a comeback got it to 3-2, and me was just getting on a roll, when Big PJ puts his rod in the boat ready he be o=to call it a day, why not when he ahead in the challenge.
But there is always next time, and me fish to catch, and catch to win.
Trestles action picking up, live shrimp looks to be beat, trolling looking good to, but need a section to troll where all the boats are not on top of each other.
Give the castle a shot, seems to be hot.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“If you come in second, you’re just the first loser!”
O & A:
How far east can you go before you’re heading west?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Delacroix tomorrow with crew from Kansas, sure hope me can find them so action, and that they can fish with lures, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 669 views