It been awhile since me been to Delacroix, so me called me first mate Big Don to see if he wanted to challenge the weather, water, and lack of fish down in our Disney Worilds known as Delacroix Island Monday, yessum says he, ready when you are.
- Saints come from behind to win, now me feel like anything possible, even catching fish down at Delacroix.
- N.W. wind 10-15 mph, me concerned about having any water to fish in, me begging to wonder about me decision to go.
- Our meet up schedule for 5:30 AM at Team Jo-Jo’s official meeting place, Waffle House in Chalmette
- Had some extra gear today, me brought me (2) brand new boat seats that Santa gave me for the Bay Flat Sr, just want to give a shout out to Santa, whomever he / she be, they look good and feel good, thanks.
- Finally, just west of the Hwy 90 & 11 junction me saw me first rabbit, (it has been over a year plus since me saw one) he came from my right, ran to the center of Hwy. turned at white dotted line in middle of Hwy. Me swerved to the left, ran over him, but did not make contact, me looked at me side mirror, me could see him high tailing it across the Hwy to the south side, safe and happy, this be a great sign.
- Not any boats on Hwy, gas stations, and/or boat launches, this not a good sign at all.
- Mage me way into the Waffle House, got me usual, big bowl of grits and coffee, me was early so me decided to get something to eat to curb me hungry on the water.
- Loaded up all Big Don gear into the FORD transporter, off we go.
- Passed on McDonnel, and Last Stop food store, once again not much activity at either location
- Check point Able, water level looking good, a little high if anything
- Check point Bravo, no water moving at Reggio canal, this not a good sign
- Arrived at the home of the Bay Flat Sr, first thing me do was to swap out the boat chairs give her a little class, me think she also needs a face lift from bow to stern.
- Loaded all our gear, turn the key and the Yamaha Dream Machine fired right up, she no cold nature girl.
- Motored down to Lionel’s for some go juice & ice, went in to pay and Big Joan says Tubby, (that be me) where you going?????? Fishing says me, got a chuckle out the 3-4 men in the room along with an eye roll from Big Joan………Note me said fishing, did not say catching.
- All wanted to let me now it was going to be cold out there, lie me like says me, my kind of weather.
- Off to Spot # 18 on the map to start our day, this spot perfect for a strong N.N.W. wind.
- N.W wind steady as she blew at 16-18 MPH
- Overcast cloudy morning
- Cold temps, jump suite not enough, put rain coat on to keep the wind off me, and to stop it from passing right through me, cold, cold,
- Water level up 4-6”
- Water temp 47.8F than 50.1F
- Tide falling, not sure if was a tide or the wind moving the water
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 2 plus, bad, bad, bad
- No boats out, none, (we be the lone wolf) not even any commercial boats, all me could think and say was me real glad me have Yamaha Dream Machine, and how me had that warm fuzzy feeling, knowing me have Seatow covering me back.
- Did me mention it was cold
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Fish spot numbers that where favorable with the N.N.W wind
- Try new spots that where compatible with N.N.W wind
- Challenge mother nature see if we could find the combination to the Redworries honey hole
- Try to find at least one elusive Silverwonder
- Dance with the Redworries
- Learn what learn can of fishing N.W. wind
- Very, very low expectations of catching today, but our odds tripled when me saw the rabbit.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Fished with bait, wind not much of a factor, other than it made us cold, and uncomfortable
- MOVING WATER: (Going in the direction of out, not sure if it was a tide, or just the wind pushing the water, but in any case we had plenty moving water, moving best where the bayou / channel choked down.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not good, not good, looking worst and worst each time me go out. Hope River will drop and the Mardi Grass pass will stop dumping river water into Delacroix area.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot 60 Caught all Redworries right their
- PATIENTS: ( Had / hit a few dry holes first, but those where early, and the suspense kept us interested and always looked forward tot eh next ole, but once we hit Spot # 60 B it was on, on, on on.)
- SKILL: (Knowledge, just started fishing spot # 60 B may be 3 years ago, one year it was a gold mine, but that was it. However the last time out me caught a Redworrier on an H&H purple beetle, on a lure me said, so decided to give it a try this time, very good move it be.)
- LUCK: (We did not have to call SeaTwo, but the true luck we had that option to do so if needed)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………NOTHING
- Drift with the wind cast & retrieve (DWWC&R)……………DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH DEAD BAIT, SHRIMP LOOKED LIKE GRASS SHRIMP, BUT THE Redworries did not mind, me glad Big Don brought them along with us.)
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….NOTHING
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
- Dead Shrimp………………. Strung on a ¼ oz. H&H round jig head w/gold hook, (no tails) throw out and hold on, work it along the bottom over the oyster shells. We fishing in 3 to 3 ½ feet of water, tide going right to left.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
#18C, 17A, 20, 21, 22, 60, 60B (12)r, stopped fishing at 10:00 AM, turned the Bay Flat Sr west than north for a real 30 minute bumpy ride back to her home slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders, they still very elusive
- (12) NMR Redworries
- (2) Bottoms
- No popped lines
- (1/2) Bushel of grass
- (2) tangled lines
- Cold fresh air for our lungs
- Air was much more cool & fresh going 25 mph, into a 16 mph head wind, what a thrill, what a feel
- Windblown face look
- Windblown hair look
- Confirmed our “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” theory / motto
- Got plenty salad ingredients for Big Lucy’s salads
- Seeing all the ducks, they were out in full force, flock after flock getting up as we ran around, season must be closed!!!!
- Seeing huge flocks of BIG white Pelicans, must have been 50 tom75 white Pelicans along the shore line in different areas.
- Installed & got to use me new boat chairs
- Be on a journey with one of the best fisherperson me know, that be Big Don, he was a very eager, optimistic, undaunting fisherperson today, down to the last minute of not catching anything, not even a bite, but fish on did he!!!!!
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
No contest, Big Don caught the first & last, he also caught (7) of the Redworries, he was on a Redworrier roll, not for him Oneofthepack would have threw the towel in at the Waffle House, Big don be fisherperson of the day with exclamations points!!!!!!!!
Ye who waits for fair weather day to come out and fish, can only wish and not experience the bliss.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
I tell you, fishing in this world being a little crazy helps to keep you sane.
O & A:
Doesn’t “catching the unexpected” make the unexpected expected?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Nothing plan, we just going to wing it like the ducks do.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 745 views