Crew for today was Big Hugh, he and me have been trying to team up for a while, finally after a few try’s it all came together to day for a fun day on the water down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Me been off the water to long
- Wednesday to short of a trip, and got skunked
- Woke up to a misty morning, just enough to wet you a little
- Meet up to be at Waffle House n Oak Harbor for 5:30 AM, short breakfast and we on our way
- No wildlife sighing along Hwy 11 or 90 , not a good sign
- Not many boast on Hwy, gas stations, and/or launches
- Passed on McDonnel & Last Stop food store
- Check pint Able water level up 10-14”
- Check point Bravo no water moving at Reggio Canal, this not a good sign
- No fisherperson along the road fishing reds, with the cold weather me figured they would be all over the Hwy
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, she high and dry, just swinging in her slings, look like she was doing the stroll as she swayed back & forth
- No time to load her up, Yamaha Dream Machine fired up with one turn of the key
- Made a run to Lionel’s for some go juice
- Off to spot # 21 to start our day, it be occupied, so went to plan “B”
- N.E. wind 14-16 mph , steady all day
- Over cast low cloud type day
- Misty most of the day
- Wet cold type day
- Had 4 layers of clothes on still was cold, added me rain suite to stop the wind from penetrating me when we ran around.
- Water level up 12-14”
- Water temp 50.5 F cold
- Tide falling all day, at least that is the way the water moving, i.e. falling
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 6 plus to a strong 7, looked great, best me seen all year.
- We saw 10-12 boats out and about, in this weather me through we would be the only nuts running around in the mist & cold
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Introduce Big Hugh back to our Team Jo-Jo milk run, we even made one of his honey holes, with the same results as most of ours.
- Learn to fish a strong N.E. wind, with over cast day, and a falling tide.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (No problem we have many spots to fish a N.E. wind, wind was our friend today as we did the Oak River Troll most of the day, it had us moving at 1.5 to 1.7 mph, which was perfect.)
- MOVING WATER: (Me think we had a falling tide, could have been the wind moving it, fell all day, but we had moving water one of the most important criteria for catching.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Best me seen in a long time, from North / South pipeline all the way to Orange Bayou and Grand Lake looked real good, you could see the lure down 2-3 feet.)
- HOLDING FISH: (#23 hot spot with 29t)
- PATIENTS: ( Slow morning, but Big Hugh and Oneofthepack was enjoying our outing so much, patients was not needed, matter of fact it was 2:30 PM and we had no idea of what time it was when we stopped fishing, time just flew by on a perfect day.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………(1) Drum
- Oak River Troll (ORT)……………….. (33) Silverwonders. We would run north to Oak River Shoreline (6 feet of water) turn the Bay Flat Sr south, drop lures down in 7 feet of water, the east wind going against a falling tide would push on a south east patch, Silverwonders where in 10 plus feet of water. We just kept doing this techniques for an hour or so.)
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NOTHING, NOT EVEN A BITE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(1) SILVERWONDER (ORT)
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE!!!
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………BIG HUGH WAS HAVING TROUBLE FEELING THE BOTTOM (re: ORT) SO HE SWICTHED TO 3/8, THAN IT WAS ON, ON, ON!!!!
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
#20,21,23 (29)t, 60, 62, 62A,B,C,D, 64,64A,B, tried Big Hugh spot, Alligator Pass (4)t, stopped fishing at 2:30 PM turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (33) NMR Silverwonders 18 throw backs
- (2) Rat Reds
- (1) Drum
- (1) Crab
- (2) bottoms
- (1) popped line
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Having the best condition for a day of fishing, perfect it be
- Spending a day on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big Hugh, hung in there all day, no fare weather fisherperson here, he be the real deal
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Lest just say that once Big Hugh masters the (ORT) he will be in the hunt for this honor, based on his progress of today me feel one or two more trips he will have the (ORT) technique down pat.
If you are looking for the perfect day, whatever that might be you are missing some great opportunity to catch fish and learn how to fish any and all elements and / or variables to / in the art of catching.
Adopt Team Jo-Jo motto, “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” each day, (even hours) has new challenges / successes that are out there waiting for you to show you stuff.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
O & A:
When does it stop being partly cloudy and start being partly sunny?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Big Hugh enjoyed our conditions of today that he and me decided to do it again tomorrow in the Bay Flat Jr, destination to be decided.
Big John C called we booked for Saturday.
Big Don called him looking to make a Bass, Spec, and Red trip out of Fort Pike, but me had already committed to Big Hugh for a Friday trip.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 890 views