Me love a challenge, and me know Big Don love one too, so it was no surprise when me asked if he wanted to make it 2 days in a row, his answer was yessum. It was decided we need an extra first mateperson, so we invited Big Don best half Big Lucy to join us for our fun day of exploring & fishing in and around our Disney world known as Delacroix Island.
- Wore out from Sunday trip
- Made it to gymnastic meet in BR town, Granddaughterofthepack Big Ronin got 2 medals
- Got home at 11:35 PM, got to bed around 12:10
- DOA rabbit and coon on Hwy 11 nothing on Hwy 90
- Up at 4 AM walking zombie me be, quick shower helped, but not full awake until me at Waffle House in Chalmette for 5:30 AM meet up
- Bowl of grits, cup coffee, and me good as new
- Big Don & Big Lucy on time both raring to go
- Not many boats on Hwy, gas stations, and / or boat launches
- Check point Abel water level normal same as Sunday
- Check point Bravo no water moving at Reggio canal, not a good sign
- Home of the Bay Flat Sr looked deserted, gave quick safety speech, like a refresher course for Big Lucy
- Gera in Bay Flat Sr in no time, extra first mate made it easy
- Run to Lionel’s for some go juice, ice, and of course dead shrimp, as both Big Lucy & Big Don thought they might need a little help with the fishes.
- Got some good Intel from a very reliable source, Bay Batola has some BIG GIRLS in it, and plenty was being caught, this be second report me got on this area. Next up Lake John, seems limits plus where caught their over the weekend, it was too much Intel for me, went into Intel overload, decide to stick to our scrip and plan.
- Off…….to spot # 17C to start the day, change in plan it be
- S.E wind 12-16 mph steady all day picked up when front came through
- Sunny & clear until front came through, then overcast, day went from best to bassist
- Nats bad early in the AM, but once wind pick up all you could hear was them yelling at you as they blew by.
- Cool temps, jumpsuit on, sun came out warm temps jumpsuit came off, front came through jumpsuit went back on, it was kind of an off and on type day / weather.
- Water temp 65.8F to start, up to 71.0 F later in day
- Water level about normal
- Tide slack then started to fall, then it started to come in, then it started to fall, like me said kind of an in/out type day
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
- Spot 17C 4 plus
- Spot # 18, A, B, C, D, E, 3 minus
- Spot # 20 & 21 2 minus river water
- Spot # 5 3
- Bay Shallow 4 plus
- Spot 51 A, B, C, & D 6 minus
- Water looked better the further you went out.
- Saw (1) boat in Bay Batola, 3 boats running up and down Twin Pipeline
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Follow up on intel we gathered Sunday, be in the right spot at the right time
- Put Big Lucy on some fish
- Get plenty SALAD fish for Big Lucy, every time we caught a fish we all yelled out salad fish in a high G tone.
- Need fish for my salad was the cry (in a high G tone) all day, and when we caught some grass we told her she now has the lettuce to go with the fish.
- Big Lucy a big fish eater, the only animal that east more fish them Big Lucy would be the Pelicans, even they were looking at us a little strange.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Had a different direction, (Then Sunday) the wind S.S.E perfect for spot # 17C this was why we change plans and fished that area. Plus me wanted to kill some time, wanted to be in honey hole for around 1:00 PM. S.S.E wind kind of messed up our game plan to do the Oak River Troll, Sunday we drifted east to west, up and down drop offs, but today we would have to do the Oak River Troll straight down the Twin Pipeline, not much of a challenge, once we found the honey holes it was on, on, on. No Silverwonder slam, but we had fun for about 45 minutes catching 1 or 2 every drift / pass.)
- MOVING WATER: (Strange, tide direction kept changing, could have been the wind, but it was moving very strong in some areas, but we had all the moving water we needed.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Zone 1 fair, 2 better zone 3 best & 4 like river water, zone 5 to die for. Plenty of good looking water just need to run around to find it.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 51 A & 17 C)
- PATIENTS: ( This was a little challenging today, very slow morning, but we had our crazy 15 minutes of fun doing the Oak River Troll and catching a few Reds & drums.)
- SKILL: (Oak River Troll (ORT) the be the fisherperson best friend when the wind blowing, and when you have a slack tide, me suggest you fisherperson include this in your repertory of techniques and presentations to catch Silverwodners and all other type spices.)
- LUCK: (For us to have Big Lucy on board the Bay Flat Sr, and to have fished Sunday to provide Intel for today’s trip.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..90% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..(3) CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………(5) % CAUGHT WITH THIS
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….98% CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE, CAN LOSE WITH IT.
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook…………… DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
17C (4)T, 18,A,B,C,D (1)T,E, 17C, 20 (2)T, 23, 5, 6, 54 (4)R, 51D, C, B (2)T, A (13)T, stopped fishing around 2:40 PM made a mad dash back to the boat house.
- Lived to fish another day
- (22) NMR Silverwonders (5) throw backs
- (5) Reds (4) throw backs
- (3) Drum (1) throw backs
- (1) Fresh water cat
- (2) Crabs
- (2) Hard heads
- (1) Oyster shell
- (4) Bottoms, 4 popped lines
- (2) Bushesl of salad grass for Big Lucy
- Seeing Big Lucy fight her Big Red, this was worth the trip
- Drinks and snacks thanks to Big Lucy
- Learning what a high G note sounds like all day long, “need some fish for me salad” it be a salad fish
- Finding out Big Don did not listen to safety speech, did a roll on the dock as he tried to jump out of the Bay Fat Sr, no file, no hurt, may be a little pride.
- Spending the day on the water with 2 of the best fisherperson me know, Big Don & Big Lucy, matched only by their kindness & manners.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Red, all the drum, most of the cat fish, 1 crab, few of the Silverwodners, had she mastered the Oak River Troll she would have been MVF of the year, me know she will have it down pat on out next trip, but today, she be fisherperson of the day.
Look for clean water, have the H&H purple beetle, learn the Oak River Troll technique, have fun and be safe.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“A Fishermen’s life is no life for a single man.”
O & A:
What benefits does fishing provide society? Does fishing hurt society in any way?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Meeting tomorrow off water
Wednesday Big Bud and Oneofthepack will be back out and about Delacroix
Thursday lunch date, (12:30) with crew at Southside, me sure there will be limits of stories on boxes gone by, and the how too’s of catching.
Friday HBA home & Garden show
Sat & sun rest
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 706 views