Wednesday trip, Yankees Big Ron (dad) Big Noha, Big Luke, Big Dayton, and oldest son (forgot name) made their way down of Kansas to enjoy all that Louisiana and our Disney World known as Delacroix Island has to offer.
This family could have gone anywhere in the world to enjoy their Thanksgiving dinner and they chose our state to do so, me hope they enjoy themselves, meet lots of our many friendly hospitable Louisianans and that they enjoy a true Louisiana Thanksgiving.
Big Ron and family love Louisiana so much their short range plan is to move down her in a few years, build a home on 433, and retire here. Me think it is our great Sportsman Paradise that is drawing Big Ron, (& Family) here, as he / they LOVES to fish, and even loves catching even more, so me think he and family is bound to become a Cajun Coonass for sure.
This is me 3rd trip with Big Ron and family, Big Ron and better half flew down a few months ago to make a trip, but the hurricane sent them back home without even making one trip. Today’s trip felt like a hurricane with the wind we had to deal with, but we made it safe & sound, with a few tugs on our line.
- Wednesday made a morning trip (with BIG PJ out fished me 3-2) and an evening trip (with Big Andrew who out fished me 2-1) to Lake P trolling the trestles, conditions where perfect, me think it will not be long before the BIG girls show up.
- Picked up gallon of oysters at Kenny’s
- Got a good night sleep
- Up early left the house at 4:30; suggested to Big Ron they leave at 5:15 to give me time to get boat to Lionel’s gas up and be ready for him and family at dock, worked out fine just as me finished gassing up getting ice they showed up.
- Check point Abel water level up
- Check point Bravo water moving slowly ay Reggio Canal
- Made it to the home of the Bay Flat Sr she looked puzzled to only see me alone, guess she wanted additional company to enjoy her efforts for her day.
- Yamaha Dream Machine like clockwork, one turn of the key and we ready to go.
- All crew aboard we headed to spot # 5 to start our da
- N.E. wind 25-30 MH plus to start our day, lasted all day
- Partly cloudy, me like this condition kept the sun off us
- Cold, cool temps, jump suite on all day, crew looked to be a little cold as we travel around in the Bay Flat Sr.
- Water level up 2-3”
- Water temp 60.7F
- Tide end of a rising tide, moved into a falling tide, fell all morning.
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus, sand and cloudy looking.
- Not many boats out and about, area looked very deserted, a little scary, if not for me having Seatow on me team, said to crew would hate to break down on a day like today, not a boat in sight. And the ones that were out looked to call it a day early, as the winds where a little out of control.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Help the Yankees have a great day on the water down in out Disney World known as Delacroix Island
- Put them on some fishes, so it be a catching day
- Create new long lasting memories for Big Ron and family
- Build upon / improve Big Ron & family desire to move to Louisiana to enjoy our state
- With predicted conditions, having a crew that did not fish well with lures, me suggested to Big Ron that he buy 3 pounds of fresh dead bait, as me new this was not going to be a Silverwonder type trip.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Did not make a difference, wind blowing in all directions, no way we could get out of the wind. In some of our spot numbers where perfect for wind, but it blowing so hard it still impacted our ability to fish & feel the bites. This was our challenge for the day.)
- MOVING WATER: (Hard to tell with the wind if water moving, but later in the day it was falling for sure, our ¼ oz. head where a little light to keep jig head on bottom as it rolled along bottom with current.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Another challenge for the day, fishable, but not would me like.)
- HOLDING FISH: (# 20 caught all fish at this spot number)
- PATIENTS: (Me resolved the night before this was not going to be a Silverwonder type trip so me geared down a notch or two and was all chilled out in the AM. We needed plenty for today, we ran, and ran, and ran all around nothing, we did catch 3 at spot # 20, but slowed down so we ran some more trying to keep crew interested. We ran all the way to Orange bayou into Grand Lake, Grand Lake looked like the perfect storm, nothing but large waves and white caps. We then ran all the way back to spot # 20, me felt this would be our best bet for the conditions of the day.
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID NOT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………ALL ON DEAD BIAT
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple .Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- Dead shrimp on a ¼ oz. jig head, (no lure just head) this worked very well, but me rigged up one line Carolina rig with ½ oz. sliding sinker, this was a little better as it kept the bait on the bottom, but all where catching with either rig.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 5, 9, 23,22,21,20,60,61,61A,B,C,D,64,64A,B,C,20,17, stopped fishing around 12:30 turned the Bay Flat Sr north, told crew to hold on, secure anything that might blow out, and if it got to rough to let me know and me would slow down, but we ran in hooked up all the way, not a bad ride at all back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0 ) NMR Silverwonders
- (15) Drum
- (10) Freshwater cats
- (2) throwback Reds
- (2) Crabs
- (1) Bushel of grass
- (1) popped line BIG fish
- (6) tangled lines
- (2) bottoms
- Lots of snacks & drinks thanks to Big Ron, crew had something to eat while we took breaks, and naps in-between bites
- Me was never so happy to find some Drum & Cat fish to catch, crew enjoyed themselves a lot with these fish, me being a purest (Silverwodners) know why would me accept drum & Cat fish as a good trip, but to which his own.
- Got a lot of experience and mastered the art of a cat fish flipper, me never knew it worked so well.
- Spending the day on the water with Yankee fiends from up north way, and meeting Big Don’s oldest son, so for me not remembering your name, they all some of the best fisherpersons me know.
- Looking forward to our next trip soon
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
No question Big Noah with his 24.6 # Drum, me was told he was also Fisherperson of the day on a trip with a guide the other day with a 10# plus Red, Big Noah on a roll down in Louisiana.
Might want to wait for wind to settle down little before heading to Delacroix, me know ‘YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW” and me know it will be Black Friday, (ladies go shopping, men go fishing) and that the parking lot at Lionel’s & Sweetwater will be full to capacity, and that there will be many, many, many boats out and about, be careful and courteous, enjoy your Thanksgiving.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Catching anything is better than catching nothing.
O & A:
If one synchronized fisherperson goes catch less, do the rest have to be catch less too?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
- Happy Thanksgiving (Big Pablo called he going fishing wanted to know if me going told him me be cooking)
- Friday not sure
- Saturday trip with grandkidsofthepack and his friend & his grandpa
Hope to see all you fisherperson out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 848 views