Oneofthepack was holding off from making a trip to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island due to the rainy weather, and the hot dog days of heat we been having.
Me have been surviving on Wicked Tuna episodes, salt water Louisiana fishing shows, and the various bass tournaments on TV, but with a 3 day weekend even those shows could / would not satisfy the itch to go fishing / catching.
Work up at 4 AM, me did not really want to go, but a little voice in me big head kept saying preseason, go out and see what up, what down, what all around before the catching rally starts.
Who am I to argue with me self!!!
- Long time between trips
- Got an invite to Big Andrew abode Saturday to enjoy some # 1 fat Lake P crabs and shrimp that he and Big Dom boiled up, food was great drinks even better, and the conversations made the day., thanks Big Andrew & Dom appreciate the invite.
- Early to bed, early to rise
- Took me time loading up the FORD transporter, no hurry was me
- Traveled me regular path down Hwy 11, across 5 mile Car Bridge.
- Travel me favorite Hwy 11 saw one bunny rabbit sitting alongside the road, moved out the way as me came by
- No wild life on Hwy 90 to be seen
- Old Gently Hwy another story, 3 blocks pass the rail road tracks their sit a BIG rabbit in the middle of Old Gently (another favorite Hwy of me). FORD transporter on cruise control, by the time me eyes focus on the BIG rabbit it was to late, maneuvered the FORD transporter to pass over him, made the front wheels, but he must have panicked and tried to out run the rea wheels, even all (4) rabbit foots could not same him.
Me know me have killed hundreds (hunting with dogs) of rabbits over the years, but me was feeling real sad for hitting the BIG rabbit what a waste. Not to my surprise he was still there on the way home.
- Not many boast on the Hwy, few in gas stations, and a couple few more at the boat launches, me have to say with a 3 day weekend it looked real slow for fishing trips
- Passed on Waffle House
- Could not pass up McDonnel got eh sausage, biscuit & egg, should hold me for the day
- Check point Abel, water level up 8”-10”
- Check point Bravo, water not moving at Reggio canal
- All the land lubbers where in place before day break, they lined the Hwy to Delacroix fishing & crabbing, celebrating Labor Day, laboring to catch fish & crabs.
- Delacroix Hwy still has some construction on it. They resurfacing the Hwy, and now have added ROCKS along the Hwy to stop the current from eating the road out.
- Me saw the parish has built a beautiful dock with toilet rooms, not sure if it is open to public, but it looks that it was built for the public to picnic and fish off/ on. Does anyone know for sure if it is for public use???????????
- Finally, seem like it took for every to get to the home of the Bay Flat Sr. pulled over to park, unloaded all the gear into the Bay Flat Sr. She looking very happy to see me again.
- Yamaha Dream Machine one turn of the key and she fired right up, let her idle, (before backing out of slip) for a while seeing how we had not run her for a while.
- Motored over to Lionel for some ice & dead shrimp, told Big Joan only wanted a pound of dead bait, I’m going to catch something today even if it’s a catfish, need some to tight line with.
- Off to spot # 64 to star our day
- Looks like they added a weather / monitoring station as you turn into Bayou Gently on the right hand side, exercise caution when turning at that location.
- N.N.E wind 6-8 mph
- Sunny, no clouds but sun’s heat was kind of blocked by the haze all around us.
- Mild temps, warm temps, but not that bad
- Water temp 86.7F
- Water level up 8 – 10”
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was:
- Orange Bayou 2 plus
- Oak River & North / South pipeline 3
- Little Crevasse 3
- Point Fienne 3 plus
- Tide slack, started to come in, but water not moving in all spot numbers
- Bayous & Bays full of bait, bait was all over the marsh, make it hard to compete with lures.
- That grass was all over in all spots, water must be very fresh
- Not many boast out and about in the areas we fished, only saw 3 all day
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Be in the honey hole for daylight, we have it figured out, establish the time we want to be in honey hole, then leave home (2) hours prior to that, this puts us in the honey hole just before daylight. At 6:10 AM today it was light enough to run around.
- Have fun
- Put some run time, (put (36) miles on her today) on Bay Flat Sr. & the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Not a problem today, not enough wind to be concerned about. Wind was not enough to do the Oak River Troll today, only could manage .07 MPH using the wind to move us.)
- MOVING WATER: (This was a little challenge today, moving in some areas, not in others. Could not find any current lines around the points, and/or in the channels to fish.)
- WATER CALRITY: (On an average it was a 3 minus, not that good, you would lose the lure down abotu2-3” below the surface. Bet looking water (as usual) was in Point Fienne)
- HOLDING FISH: (Another challenge for the day, fish where far and in-between, however bait was schooled up all over the place.
- PATIENTS: ( Should have needed a lot today, but not being out for a long time, me had other things to keep me interested, and excited all morning, saw lots of wildlife throughout the marsh / bay areas.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………(2) reds
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(1)t
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NOTHING, USED (1) SHRIMP NOT A BITE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….CAUGHT ALL FISH
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64, 64A, 62, 61C, 61, 60, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 11, 10, 9, 8, 6, 5, 14, 15, 14B, 1 (1)t, 2, 2A, 17, stopped fishing at 10:10 AM turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a smooth quick ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (1 ) (NMR) Silverwonders
- (2) Reds (1) throw back
- (1) Bass
- (1) Banana fish
- (20-25) shiners
- (1) finger mullet
- (1) Bottom popped line
- (1) Bushel of grass
- (1) Right ear, on the back of a cast line slipped out me hand, then caught it, made for a low cast moving forward, nick me ear, and popped me in the head, felt like I was sot with a sling shot & marble.
- Saw (2) bands of teal one ah d 25-30 band, the other had 12-15 teal
- Saw (10) BIG alligators
- All kinds of various birds,
- No nutrias?????
- Saw the sun come up
- Saw all the fisherperson & craberpersons enjoying their holiday along the Delacroix Hwy
- On the way home found a gas station had $2.16/gal unleaded
- On the way back saw many other families along the roads enjoying their day off, me think fishing might be giving golf a run for its money.
- Clean and gave the red to our neighbor, they like reds
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
(3) Way tie, between me, meself, & me.
Me think we need to wait for the weather to cool down a bit, me like the water temp to be between 55- & 58 F, you will have better looking water (clarity) and the fish will be more active.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“When a man goes fishing, he wonders if he is going to get lucky. A fish already knows.”
O & A:
- How do me clear me screen?????????
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
- None plan, come on winter!!!!!!!!!!
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 1,086 views