Today’s crew was a special one for / of Oneofthepack, had long time friend, (no fish lately) Big Jeff, and (long time no go, over 2 plus years) flesh & blood Big Randy (aka Sonofthepack) on board the Bay Flat Sr for a fi=un day of fishing down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Over the past 43 plus years me usually average 5.32 trips in October, relay thought after retiring me would long in more trip, but this month been a little crazy, this be me first trip to Delacroix for / in October., not a good sign.
- Big Jeff coming out of fishing retirement, we tried to get Big Brenda to go, but me she like more to sleep in the AM.
- Big Randy getting back into the outdoor challenges chasing Silverwodners use to be his number 2 passion, with duck hunting up in first place
- No Wildlife sightings along Hwy 11, 90, and Hwy to Delacroix
- Boats all over the Hwy, gas stations, boat launches, it was hard to believe it was a Tuesday, look more like a weekend
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, and Last Stop food store.
- We did make as stop for ice, biscuits, sandwiches, beer & water at the BIG gas station in Violet, me like this place has all that you need.
- Check point Able water level looked up in canal at junction
- Check point Bravo, no water moving in Reggio canal, not a good sign.
- Big Don’s Mako still in her slings. No fish today he be
- We made it to the home of the Bay Flat Sr, she looked really down, looked like she dressed for Halloween, she had spider webs all over her, looked real spooky to me.
- Once she realized who it was, and starting to see us brining rods. Reels, tackle boxes over, me really think she smiled for / to us, if she had a tail it would have been wagging 100 mph.
- Me bellowed out the command all in the truck has to come out and go aboard the Bay Flat Sr, crew jumped right to it.
- Me lowered her down so me could jump in, crew started to keep lowing her, and then…….the bow turn lose and fell about 3-4 feet, seems the cable clamp turn lose and we lost the cable. Now she hanging in the air on about a 30 degree angle, not good, and definitely not a good sign. Me can see the crews face , what we do now, we going fishing says me, crew pushed back as hard as they could get the bow off the dock and we lowered the stern to the water, after a few push / pull exercise we were on our way to Lionel’s.
- Made q quick stop at Lionel’s for some dead shrimp & live shrimp, we were in and out in no time.
- CAUTION!!!!!!! Please don’t make the same mistake me made, when buying live shrimp , Lionel’s had added a spot / tank for you to get additional water, (out by the gas filling station) do not scope any water out of tanks, repeat do not scope any water out of tanks, use the tank designated for that.
- Off to spot # 21 to start our day at 26 mph e had an ETA of 33 minutes
- S.W. breeze, real nice all morning, did manage to blow a small cloud or 2 over us
- Sunny & clear
- Mild temps, warm, warmer, and almost down right hot, but nowhere close to little red button popping out
- Water level about normal
- Water temp mid 80’s me think
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 2 minus, nice & dirty, not looking good at out, brown and dirty looking
- Tail end of a rising tide, we had a slack tide, then it started to fall around 9 AM.
- We had plenty company out and about, must have seen 12-13 boats running round us, some passed by 2-3 times.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine, almost time for 400 hour oil change
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Get Big Jeff back on track, get him to have a chance to forget about the world, politics, left, right, middle, just to concentrate on the Red Worries, and get a lot of fresh clean marsh air.
- Find out how much Big Randy retain from all the years past we fished together, from 4 years old to now 40, his 2 plus year take off from fishing did not impact his techniques & presentations any at all, but his fish stories have dwindled a little.
- Try and find some Silverwonders, see if the area looking ready for them to show up
- Find out of the Red Worries still wanted to come out and play.
- Educate meself on the ins and outs of the present day Delacroix area, note bait condition, water level, water clarity, grass areas, etc. make ready for all our past, present, and future first mates trips.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Not much wind, not a factor, and at that it was off our left shoulder, all was good with the wind)
- MOVING WATER: (We had a 2 – 2 ½ hour period of what like a slack tide, around 9 or so it started to fall, not much but enough to get some action started.)
- WATER CALRITY: (This was to be our biggest challenge for the day, this criteria was going to make it difficult for me. But we not chasseing Silverwonders, but our quest for today was / is / had been the Red Worriers, and it seems water clarity not a big concern of them.)
- HOLDING FISH: (#21 made it easy, we never left)
- PATIENTS: ( We needed a lot today, we reached the honey hole at around 7:15, 7:50 caught nice Red Worrier, from then to 9:30 we fought hard heads, fresh water cats, then the drum, then the Red Worries turned on. Me ask the crew to give the spot till 9 AM then we can make a decision to run around, but me said it want do any good, we best to stay here and wait them out, this strategy worked for us today, but not may be for tomorrow.)
- SKILL: (Knowing the spot, believing in the spot, and having the Intel on the spot)
- LUCK: (No one got hurt when the Bay Flat Sr fell)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………CAUGHT A COUPLE OF FISH
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………95% OF FISH CAUGHT WITH DEAD BAIT
- Live bait…………………4% CAUGHT WITH LIVE SHRIMP, WE BORUGHT BACK 30 OUT 50 BACK TO THE LAUCNH
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….3 RED WORRIERS
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 21 on the map.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders
- (26) Red Worriers
- (4) Drum
- (2) Fresh water drum
- (1) Sheepshead
- (20) Fresh water cast
- (10) Hard heads
- (3) Popped lines BIG FISH
- (4) Bottoms
- (1) Bushesl of grass
- (4) Tangled lines
- Snipes provide entertainment for us during our slow period
- We had great biscuits, W/ sausage, bacon, egg, sandwiches, snacks, beer, drinks, water, we ate from dawn, to we reached the FORD transporter, and then some. Our game plan was to make a run at Rockies, but me think we all where to full to do so.
- Refreshing me fishing friendship with Big Jeff, he be one of the best fisherperson me know, and he not too shy to tell you so.
- Spending the day on the water with me son, brought back many memories of all the years gone by, we have a great many days of fishing & hunting to be thankful, and me looking forward to many more, he too be the best fisherperson me know, after all me taught him all he know.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
This be a tough call, it all depends on what species we use to determine the honors today. No Silverwodners, so it is a wide open field. As for the cat fish, me think Big Jeff & Big Randy on a tie path,
Drum we all caught one, Big Jeff had big one, along with Oneofthepack, Big Randy missed his. Big Randy caught the only Sheepshead, but no fresh water drum.
Me think what it comes down to is who had the most exciting BS fishing stories to tell, and that narrowed it down to Big Jeff & Oneofthepack. And me know, I know, he know, me know, me no match for him, so Big Jeff be Fisherperson of the day, for today that is.
Me not a Red Worrier chaser, but the way it looks now, me may have to change me species me chase, and when dong that dead & live bait may / will be needed.
PONDER OF THE DAY
Fisherpersons are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
O & A:
Do fisherpersons have a right to be happy or should they have to earn it?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Fish not, know not!!!!!
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 683 views