Today aboard the Bay Flat Sr today we had Big Hugh, (our tree expert, he planted a Willow try 1 year ago this past October) Big Willy (as we named it) is doing fine. Big Hugh and me talked last week and set up today for a trip to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island. Big Hugh also very proficient with the voice activated power pole function, and excels in knot tying
- Look to be a snow bird day, not me favorite for catching
- Loaded up all the gear, made a double check to make sure nothing left behind
- Me was a little early for our 5 AM meet up at Team Jo-Jo remote meeting place, Waffle House in Oak Harbor, Big Hugh was already there and had his breakfast half way finish.
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
- Only saw 1 boat along Hwys
- Not many boats in gas stations either
- Past on McDonnel & Last Stop food store
- Check point Able water level down 12-14’
- Check pint Bravo, Reggio Canal tide look to be pouring in
- Bay Flat Sr was hanging low in the sling, thought me had her higher then that, but she as fine, and had no kittens in her.
- Quick work of loading her up
- Yamaha Dream Machine one turn and she fired up ready to go
- Motored over to Leonel for some go juice & dead shrimp, frozen all they had.
- Off to spot # 14 to start our fun day on the water.
- N.W. wind 8-10 mph, not bad at all
- Sunny & clear
- Cool temps, cold when running, jumpsuit type day
- Water level down 12-14”
- Water temp 46.3F up to 53.1F
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a strong 2 minus, not looking good at all, we did not go out any further then north/south pipeline & Oak River
- Tide was coming in at Leonel and falling at spot # 14, fell all day
- Had those Lillie all over the bayou, me guess we have lots of fresh water
- Only saw 2 boats out and about
- Can anyone help me understand why the water is so dirty, sue to be water was clean all the time, any ideas out there, this be the worst year ever
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- See if the Redworries wanted to come out and play
- See if spot # 17A still holding Redworries
- Try to find some clean water
- Try to find some elusive, no-no, missing Silverwodners
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Once again we fishing with bait wind not a factor, wind did help us do the Oak River Troll, produced (14) Redworries, way to go wind)
- MOVING WATER: (Falling all day, falling when we left, looked like it was getting ready to stop around noon
- WATER CALRITY: (This still be a big problem, and this be me most important / concern criteria for me)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 17A & # 20 to 21, all fish caught their)
- PATIENTS: ( Slow start at 14, water to dirty to stay long, made a few stops same conditions, ran over to spot # 17A bingo, action the rest for the day, no loss of desire and/or concentration after that.)
- SKILL: (Knowledge of past trip, practicing what me dad told me many years ago, “Never quite a winner”, so that is why we went right back to 17A after we tried a few other spots when things slowed down, and it proved to be a good move)
- LUCK: (Big Hugh brought some fresh shrimp for us to use, me did not know he did that, but that seem to do the trick with the Redworries)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………Did not try
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(14) (NMR) Redworries, perfect conditions for this technique)
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..(16) REDWORRIERS
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait……….(16) REDWORRIERS 2 FOOT UNDER CORK
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(16) REDWORRIERS
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook…………. DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook…………… NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 14, 15, 1, 2, 2A, 17A (5) r, 17C, D, E, 17A (11) r, 20, 21 (14) r, stopped fishing at noon, turn the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick dire back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders, they be MIA
- (30) NMR Redworries
- (1) Mullet
- (1) popped line Big Redworrier
- (2) Bottoms, 2 popped lines
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Some of the biggest, heaviest tastes roast beef sandwiches me every had, they weight more than the Redworries, but they be good, thanks Big Hugh for bring them.
- Being on the water with one of the best fisherpersons me know Big Hugh that be.
- Big Nick found the 5 missing kittens, they safe & sound in his boat now, the momma cat sure moves them around.
- Cannot believe me becoming a Redworrier fisherperson
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Any fisherperson that can catch a Mullet with an H&H purple beetle deserves the honors of fisherperson of the day, and that be Big Hugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bring FRESH dead shrimp, fish the points and moving water, and fish the grass lines too.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Change your thoughts and you change your results.
O & A:
Is there inherent order in catching or is it all chaos and chance?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Not sure when me back on the water.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 540 views