Big Tom B (co-worker) was to be me fishing partner fishing for the Woodward rodeo Saturday, we choose to fish the Delacroix area, and we had a 2:00 PM weight-in which meant we could only fish till 11:00 AM to make it back for the weight-in. Oneofthepack & Big Tom posing for
- Grate Friday trip had we
- We set up to meet at 4:45 AM Waffle House in Slidell Oak Harbor, Team Jo-Jo annex official meeting place
- Me no have Big Tom B cell, (me mistake) called left message, left message at office to call me, we needed to adjust our start time.
- Big Tom called back, says me tomorrow a Saturday, me think we need to meet at 4 AM so we can get to the spot before others come around, says he no problem
- Up at 2:45 AM, loaded up eh FODR transporter
- Quick 2 minute ride to Waffle House, me 35 minute early
- Got some coffee & grits
- Big Tom on time, load all gear into truck, and we off
- Big Tom saw a BIG cat along Hwy 11, which me did not see, says me maybe that why me no see any wildlife, me cannot see.
- Boats all over Hwy, loaded in gas stations, and boat launch really crowed, look like the day after Thanksgiving fisherperson challenge.
- No McDonnel, no Last Stop
- Check point Abel water up very little in canal at junction
- Check point Bravo water falling at Reggio canal, nice
- Arrived at HOTBFS, gave Big Tom the 20 second safety speech, just then a truck came by doing 70+. See what you mean says he.
- BFS loaded up in no time
- Yamaha Dream Machine still warm for Friday trip, she knew what to do and just did it
- No need stop at Lionel’s we had all we needed on board
- Off we went running at night, (not me favorite) just wanted to make sure we got to Spot # 14 and set up before any other fisherperson got there.
- Calm winds, around 10 AM winds for the west 8-10mph, no good, wind & tide going in different directions
- Partly cloudy in the afternoon
- Mild to warm temps, low humidity
- Water temp 79.8F
- Water Level up 4”
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 4 looked real good with a little stain to it
- End of falling tide fell for about an hour or so, slack then started to come in, struggled to come in with west wind
- Boats all over the place, running here running there, all over, and must-have counted 15-20 boats from me location that be a lot. Guide boats all over too, they too running around.
- Busy day on the water
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Put Big Tom on some Silverwodners
- Try to catch a few to weigh-in at rodeo
- Stay with that be working, work all around spot # 14
- Fish to 11AM then go like hell to make weight-in for 2PM at Rigolets Mariner.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (We good to west wind came up, then we had to fish a cross wind, made it tough to feel the lures, but the Silverwodners did not seem to mind. Oak River Troll was a standstill, wind and current force the same, Bay Flat Sr just sat still in the water, me like this cause me can positon boat wherever want and it just hoovers there.)
- MOVING WATER: (Once again moving all morning, fall at first then coming in, perfect it be, this criteria was not a problem at all)
- WATER CALRITY: (Better today, you could see the lure down a foot or so, just a very little brown looking was it.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 14)
- PATIENTS: ( None needed action early with Big Drum, short periods of no action, but for the most part we had something coming in most of the minutes of the morning)
- SKILL: (Knowledge, knowing the when, where, why, how, & what of spot # 14, plan came together this morning like clockwork, called it, was a perfect plan.)
- LUCK: (Changing our meet up time, 10 minutes later and we would have not had the boat in the best position / angle to the Silverwonders.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………100% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(1) MISSED AT BOAT
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………100% FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 14.
- Lived to fish another day
- (56) NMR Silverwonders (10 Throw backs
- (1) Red
- (3) Bass
- (2) Hugh Drum, we released, but me think we would have won some of that category with the sizes we had, but we did not want to kill them, felt it better to let others enjoy the fight like we did.
- (2) Popped lines big Silverwonders
- (1) popped line BIG something
- (8) Silverwonders missed at boat
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Grate snacks, drinks, and sandwiches as provided by Big Tom, thanks man, but from now on when fisherpersons ask me what me want to eat, it is going to be a box of Poppy’s chicken.
- Enjoyed watching Big Tom fight the 2 Drum, me gave him a rig with power pro, a me knew we would get into some big Drum, after a while me gave him mono rig, me like mono for lure fishing better.
- Fishing the rodeo, spending the morning with longtime friend, co-worker, best mechanical engineer me know, and one of the best fisherperson me know, Big Tom B as we call him.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
(2) BIG Drum, 2 bass, biggest bass, biggest Silverwodners, and contributed a number of Silverwonders to our creel for the day, Big Tom B, be it today, but there is always tomorrow.
Catch / fish the changing of the tides, find a spot you have confidence in and fish it hard.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
The most dangerous thing about a water craft is one nut – the one behind the steering wheel!
O & A:
Ninety-nine percent of fisherpersons give the rest a good name
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Me off the water, resting up, bloodwork, meetings Monday, Tuesday me have grandparent duties, after that me need Wednesday to rest from that, so it looks like Thursday may be the next day me have a chance to be back on the water, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 502 views