Me had a first time crew aboard the Bay Flat Sr, Big Jerry (BMCC) & Big John (SW Eng.) our mission , (which we accepted) was to fish the Valero rodeo Saturday.
Our quest was that of the Redworries, we felt we could be in the hunt for this category for sure, and where better to hunt for them other then our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Big Andrew & Oneofthepack attended this Slidell CCA banquet Thursday night, many stories of many limits being caught all over, (Lake P, Lake Borgne, Castel, Lake Catharine, Lake Robin, Lake Ameede, etc. etc.) me feel so inadequate, as me yet to catch a Silverwonder this fall run. Me was humbled by the stories, but their is all ways tomorrow. Food, drinks & dessert was great, had a real good turn out with lots of prizes for all.
- Had a conflict of interest, fish rodeo vs. go with Loveoftheapck to Ocean Springs craft show, what to do, what to do, me kept me promise, first promise that is and went fishing.
- Up early, but me still in pre-season mode, left half; the stuff home that me was supposed to bring. Guess me will have to make a check list to follow in the AM, age is / is not the problem????
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, no a good sign.
- Not many boats on Hwy, me early, gas stations and launches had plenty
- Lots of duck hunters out and about
- We all met, (4:15 AM, this be a little early) up at , (At Team Jo-Jo official meeting place) Waffle House in Chalmette, had a little breakfast, loaded all the gear into the FORD transporter and we on our way in no time
- No McDonnel, and / or Last Stop food store, we on a mission to achieve the possible / impossible whichever comes first.
- Check pint Able, water level about normal in canal at junction
- Check point Bravo not much water moving in Reggio canal, not good
- Reached the of the Bay Flat Sr, she back up in her slings, Big Nick helped out and fixed the cable, thanks man you the best.
- As me got out of the FODR transporter, yelled out, everything in the truck goes in the Bay Fault Sr, crew made short work of this.
- Yamaha Dream Machine took a little foreplay before she fired up, lack of use me feel causes this attitude.
- Short run to Lionel’s, gas, ice, and 4# of dead bait, yes t was going to be that kind of day.
- Off to spot # 64 on map to start our day, running in the dark, not good, but we do what we got to do.
- S.E. wind 3-4 mph
- Beautiful & clear early dawn breaking, and sun rise
- Sunny & clear
- Cool temps, jumpsuit day, me liking this weather for sure, love fishing in me jumpsuit
- Loved running 25 mph with the cold air blowing in me face, best feeling in life for me, me could feel the lines and wrinkles shrinking in me face & forehead.
- Water temp 65.1 F
- Water level about normal
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 2 plus, all over from Grand Lake out to North /South & Pencil canal. All the on water Intel me got was it was the same out to Four Horse, and over to Twin Pipe line and Oak River, not a good sign.
- End of a rising tide, tide as real strong at Lionel’s, fell all morning, slowed at times, even went slack for a while, but when the wind picked up it started to move again.
- Lots f boats out and about, parking lots full both Lionel’s & Sweetwater, had plenty boats in Point Fienne. But me think they just their because of the time of the year, and past experience doing that time period. They all looked like me, going through the motions for this time of year, but with no Silverwonder takers.
- Duck hunters me think are struggling too, did not her many shots at all. Also did not see that many ducks flying around and we were out before sun rise.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Take the prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for the Redworrier category of the Valero fishing rodeo
- Introduce Big Jerry & Big John (he be know it pretty good) to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island
- Try some new spots
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Not a factor, fishing with bait, you can just about fish any wind with bait)
- MOVING WATER: (We had moving water all day, but wrong direction for the areas we fishing, fell all day, this criteria not a factor)
- WATER CALRITY: (This criteria be the demon for the day, took all the wind out of me sails before me got started, but anticipated it, this be why we by 4# dead bait as water had not looked good for a while.)
- HOLDING FISH: (# 21 gave us the most action, nothing at all the other stops)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed and used plenty today, very slow day, slow action, we kept at it until around 11:20 headed in to make weight-in at rodeo, plus me getting hungry, hungry & patients don’t go well together)
- SKILL: (Knowing expected conditions, pursuing a technique / presentation (i.e. dead bait) as needed to have some action)
- LUCK: (Me did not get hooked by the BIG ugly lure Big Jerry had on his line, it hooked everything in the boat, but me)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………NOTHING
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..WITH DEAD BAIT PRODUCED (2) BIG REDWORRIERS, AND (1) BIG CAT, THIS TECHNIQUE WHAT NEEDED FOR TODAYS ACTION.)
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………STRUNG ON A ¼ OZ. JIG, NO TIAL JUST JIG HEAD
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….NOTHING
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64, 61 A,B,C, 60, 21, 20, 22, 23, 21, 17, 2A, 14, stopped fishing around 11:20 turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride bac the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders
- (5) Redworries (3) Rat type
- (2) Drum
- (1) Fresh water drum
- (12) Fresh water cats
- (3) Hard Heads
- (2) Crabs
- (2) Popped lines BIG fish
- (1/2) Bushel of grass
- (1) Duffel bag, by BIG ugly lure
- (2) rods & reels by BIG ugly lure
- (1) Finger by BIG ugly lure
- Me could not make it happen today, but there is always another day.
- Spending the morning on the water with new friends, Big Jerry & Big John and maybe someday, one of the best fisherpersons me know.
- Great food, snacks, and drinks at Valero food tent, real nice rodeo, had plenty fisherpersons and others at rodeo
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big John had a nice showing, plenty cat fish, a couple of little reds, and of course he had the biggest catfish of the day, he even had many good fish stories of days gone by, but these efforts fell a little short for the honors today.
Oneofthepack saved for a drum was skunked. Did a dance or 2 with a cat fish, and had a line popped by big drum (me think) these efforts did not qualify for anything but dead last.
Big Jerry, (w/Big Ugly lure and all) caught the only 2 keeper Redworries, and both in the 6# plus class, had many encounters with catfish, talked a little smack, had a lot of good fish stories of trips past, and managed to get me scales up, something about picking a better guide next time. . Big Jerry be fisherperson of the day aboard the Bay Flat Sr that is. As for the rodeo, Big Jerry lead in 1st & 2nd place, that is before the weight-in took place, seems our big Redworries never even made listing on the board, they had few couple 7# plus on the board, but Big Jerry a winner on the Bay Flat Sr for sure.
Had a fisherperson email us wanted to know what me theory was on the Silverwonders and / or lack thereof, ask he, have me every seen it likes this before, (i.e. no Silverwonders) in your years of fishing Delacroix.
Says me, (no) me theory is the excessive high river water, Mardi Grass pass open, and siphon (low level at present) contribute to the fresh water in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island, and this is impacting the migration of the Silverwodners to their normal locations.
Me being an optimistic fisherperson says me it will happen. Silverwodners will move in, but after seeing water today, me not so optimistic, with all this in mind, me might have to do what Disney did, and pursue new territory and move to original Disney World (aka Shell beach & Hopedale)………Not!!!!!!! Me be a true blue person, seem to stay with all through rich / poor, sickness / health, fish / no fish, that be me, besides the beauty of Delacroix still remains, and that is 90% of our trips pleasures.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Some catch fish wherever they go; others whenever they go.
O & A:
Why do they say CATCHING is INEVITABLE?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Wednesday quest for the Silverwodners, location / strategies undetermined!
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 517 views