Spoke to Big Capt Don to see if he could make a trip Wednesday, no says he. But got a call back and asked he if can we go fish the Bar Pits in the Bay Flat Jr, yessum says me ready to go.
He was concern that the rain would catch us around 9 AM, no problem fish already wet, and Bay Flat Jr needed to be washed along with Oneofthepack, so we agreed it was a go.
Our quest for this trip was scales & tails of a different color, and required different techniques & tackle.
• Meet up at 5:45 AM at Loveofthepack and Oneofthepack abode in Oak Harbor.
• Me alarm clock set for 4:45 AM, it went off and got tired of alarming, me slept right through it. Did manage to get up at 5:20 AM.
• Took one of the fastest showers me ever took
• Had the Bay Flat Jr loaded up with all me gear in her ready to go when Capt Don showed up, did not miss a lick did we departed right on time.
• Yamaha nightmare machine had not run since the last time (3-4 months ago) we tried to fish the Bar Pits, me knew this was going to be a challenge to get her started.
• Me think be Capt Don did 20 pulls, and me did just as many, then she spitted one time and me knew all was well, ran like a kitten all day long.
• As big Capt Don backing down the Bay Flat Jr, me in her, me told him to stop, they had a 8 -10 foot alligator sitting right in the water at the launch. He got a little envious and back away way, me waved to Big Capt Don to come on back.
• The water looked great the canal was clear of all lilies, grass, hyations, we ran about ½ mile. Counting (13) Alligators we saw, knew they had more than that.
• Got about ¾ of mile and the canal was chuck full of grass, lilies and Hyations, blocked so made we could not get pass.
• We had plan, on to plan “B” go fish Big Capt Don DOUBLE TOP SECERT SPOT, ran the Bay Flat Jr on to the trailer and foo we go,\.
• We had two spot to choose from, but me think me picked a winner of the two.
• E.S.E. WIND 8-10 mph, real nice
• Partly cloudy
• Mild in the morning, but around 10:30 sun beating down on us got a little warm
• Water Level up
• Water Temp????
• Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 7 plus
• Tide, could not tell no way to gage it.
• Had on boat showed up, came right on in on us, must have been his spot one day.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
• Be safe
• Have fun
• Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
• This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
• Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
• Fish Bar Pits of Hwy 11, tis not to be
• Plan “B” fish one of Big Capt Don Double secret spots
• Fishing for some perch, any type. Any place
• Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
1 WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Had it that way all morning, perfect)
2 MOVING WATER: (Hard to tell, but me felt it had to moving one way or the other)
3 WATER CALRITY: (Perfect 7 plus, if only we had this color water down at/in Delacroix)
4 HOLDING FISH: (Second spot got on a good bite, caught (40) of the Bluegills there.)
5 PATIENTS: ( First spot Bar Pit patients was very think, but the second spot Plan “B” we had action from the second cast, and it lasted till about 10:10 AM when they shut down)
6 SKILL: (To know to bring the Perchwisper we me, he has all the skill, all me had was the ability to learn as much as me can form him)
7 LUCK: (Di not get wet, fell right on a perch bed, manage to feed (2) other fisherpersons with some nice BIG perch)
• Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………??????ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY, only thing no twitch, bite required a steady slow reel in no jerks, no twitch required.)
• Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
• Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
• Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
• Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
• Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
• Dead bait………NONE
• Live bait…………………NONE
• LURE DU JOURE:
• 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NTO TRY
• 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
• Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
• Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
• Ultra-light rig, 4 # test line, 1/24 oz. jig head, matched up with a 1 “ black grub caught all the fish
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Big Capt Don’s Double Top Secret Spot, stop fishing at 1:50 AM
• Lived to fish another day
• (0) Silverwonders
• (52) Big Bluegill
• (3) bottoms
• (2) Bushels of grass
• (1) Oneofthepack, that little perch hook drew blood out me finger
• Many thanks to Yelva, (Big Capt Don better half) for the peanut butter sandwiches
• Me like how Big Capt dog freezes his water in the bottle, then when you ready to drink let it sit out for a while and you have some cold refreshing water to drink.
• Spending the morning on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big Capt Don.
• Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Finale tally 20 to 32, me was just happy to be in the game, we had a tied match for a long time, but when we it the hot spot, Big Capt Don never looked back. Just keep reeling them in and dropping them in the box. Big Capt Don Fisherperson of the day, today that is there is always next time.
If you like perch fishing, get you some of those black grub, 1/24 oz. jig head, ultra-light rod and reel, cast away you day chasing them.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
“A brave fisherperson acknowledges the abilities of others.”
O & A:
No one ever says “It’s only a fishing,” when their winning.
TEAM JO-JO’S FUTURE STRATAGEM:
Weekend at Big Earl’s camp down in our Disney World known as Delacroix Island, Silverwonders & Redbattlers better take shelter as crew will be after them with fried fish in mind.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 542 views