Friday crew aboard the Bay Flat Sr, we had a first mates, Big Don and a first mateperson Big Lucy, (Big Don’s better half) both having made past trips with Oneofthepack. Both are very astute in the ways of the voice activated power pole, both are ambidextrous, ability to work stern and/or bow Cajun anchor with ease.
- Thursday trip, a trip that was not to be, Big PJ & and Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) where waiting patiently (5:00 AM) for Oneofthepack at Waffle House in Oak Harbor, BUT!!!!!!!!! Hutson we have a problem, me alarm did not go off when me woke up and saw daylight me knew me was in trouble, but me have taken action to never let this happen again, it be a very bad sign for me.
- After (3) alarm clocks going off, me up quickly and was off
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
- Not many boats on Hwy, gas stasionts, and/or boat launches
- No late for meet up with Big Don or Big Lucy, me 30 minutes early, this more me style, be early.
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, and Last Stop food store, we all anxious to get to the Silverwodners
- Check point Able water level down 14 to 16” not good
- Check point Bravo, no water moving at Reggio canal, not good
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, crew had all our gear transferred to her in no time.
- Yamaha Dream Machine alive and well she ready to go only with the thought of turning the key.
- Made a stop at Lionel’s for some go juice, ice, and of course some dead shrimp for the less lure acquainted fisherpersons, turn out to be a very good idea
- Off to spot # 18 to start our day of fishing & catching
- N.W. wind 10-15 mph, not me favorite wind for sure
- Cloudy, overcast day
- Cool to mild temps, wind kept us cool all day. Kept me jump suite on all day.
- Water temp 71.3 F
- Water level down 14-16” still had some water in slip, not much
- Tide slack, then started to come in very slowly
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 2 plus all over in the areas we ran, , #14 had a 4 plus
- Not many boats out and about
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Get some fish for Big Lucy salad, she be eating a lot of fish
- Assist Big Lucy with her casting abilities, and expand on her catching techniques, we have her in training to be the first women fishing guide, as soon as she learns to operate the boat
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (This criteria was somewhat of a challenge, we fished a cross wind most of the day, or wind directly in our face, we did manage to find a few spots with wind at our back. Having 2 Cajun anchors out also assisted with keeping the boat on an angel to the wind and wind at our back.)
- MOVING WATER: (Me was confused all day, tide predictions we were to have a falling tide, then an incoming tide, but the water was rising all day, me think this threw off me game, as me was all set to enjoy / use the falling tide for an early bag of Silverwodners)
- WATER CALRITY: (This too was a challenge a 2 plus is not that good, but we did see some good looking water around spot # 14, we stopped and fished it but did not get a bite so we moved on.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot 49A (11) t, had not fished this spot in years, but with the wind we had it was perfect spot to set up on and fish)
- PATIENTS: ( It was a patient required type day, very slow, not for the dead shrimp (Big Don & Big Lucy playing with the Reds) it may have been an early / quick type fishing trip)
- SKILL: (Staying the course, waiting them out, and trying areas me have not fished for years)
- LUCK: (Making the stop for dead shrimp, and me being very relaxed, (not a normal sign) as the crew played with the Reds)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………95% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………13 REDS & 1 SILVERWONDER, USED JUST THE ¼ OZ JIG HEAD AND SHRIMP
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….(1) SILVERWONDER
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………(28) SILVERWONDERS (1) RED
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 18, 14, 5 (occupied) # 50 (12) Reds, 52 (6) t, 59A (11) t, 51A (6) t, 51C (2) t, 51D (5) t, stopped fishing at 3:20 PM called it a day and head back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (30) NMR Silverwonders (13) throw backs
- (14) Reds 10 throw backs
- (1) Drum
- (1) Fresh water cat
- (4) Hard heads
- (1) crab
- (1) Bushel of grass
- (2) Extra poles
- (6) tangled lines
- Bag of patio chips, me very much enjoyed them, thanks to Big Don & Big Lucy, by the time we stopped fishing me think we all where very hungry, at east more hungry then the Silverwodners.
- Enjoying the day with 2 of the best fisherperson me know, Big Don, & Big Lucy
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Don was on a roll, caught the biggest Red, most of the Reds and some of the Silverwodners, me thinking him going to run away with the honors today, but a late run edge him out. Big don even said his fishing pray for us, but me think universal creator was out fishing as the fish ever did answer prey.
Big Lucy held her on with the Reds (missed the biggest red), Silverwodners, (missed the biggest Silverwonder at the boat) where a little challenge to her, me think her casting abilities where part of the problem, when she cast she be not knowing where it would be going, sometimes it was still in the boat. But she not be daunted by it all, Big Lucy gave it her all, she only took one break during the whole day and remain optimistic (believed) as the day slowly went by.
Oneofthepack had a good run with the Silverwodners, and when the 3# Silverwonder hit the deck it was all over, me think me can say it was unanimous, me be fisherperson of the day, but there is always next time.
Conditions were not that bad, it had me where me did not want to make a trip Saturday as it was my understanding it was to be about the same conditions.
Bring some dead shrimp for the Reds, drum, and catfish if that is your thing.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Fishing the best things in life are free and so is the worst Intel / advice!
O & A:
How do you know you live in the reel world?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Tomorrow Saturday trip with Big Hugh, me felt me had to call him and let him know about today’s trip. Says me first off me gong no matter what, BUT……………….. water very low, water very dirty, bites where real slow, and we caught 17 Silverwodners and 3 Reds, plus we fished to after 3 PM, do you still feel like you want to make trip, says he, me don’t care if we don’t catching nothing me want to go, (me thinking me kind of first mate) says me, bet at Waffle House in Oak Harbor for 5:00 AM, no problem says he.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 505 views