Big Andrew called wanted to go troll Lake P trestles, me told him think the water will be dirty and that me was going to Delacroix,> Me asked if he would like to go, he decline, he wanted to stay close to home, so me did a solo trip today down to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Monday had a hot date with a real beauty, Big Vienne (Granddaughterofthepack 5 years young) we were scheduled to go to the Aquarium, she told me to be at school for 11:45 AM, cause she got out on Mondays at 11:50 AM, no problem me there at 11:30 AM did not want to be late for this date.
All went well, says me you want to go eat and if so where, and/or do you want to eat lunch at the Aquarium, says she lets do the Aquarium for lunch. no problems says me.
Arrive & park ($11.00) behind Canal Place, we walk all the way around the flood wall get to the Aquarium front door AND…………………………………….they close on Monday. So is the Zoo, and insect atrium, NOW WE ALL KOW THEY CLOSED ON MONDAY!!!!!
Plan “B” what to do, she did not want to shop, movies had none to see, suggested we go to City Park, and she can play on the playground rides. As we motoring along, says she I have an idea, lest have a picnic, sound good to Papa. We made a stop at the store on Esplanade, picked bread, meats, sacks, drinks and off we went to City Park. We both agreed plan “b” was just as good as gong to the Aquarium, but we will reschedule for another day.
- Up early, no time had the FORD transporter loaded up and ready to go.
- Traveled me regular route, no wild Life sightings, (except for the crazy’s passing me up on Hwy 11 & 90, they in a real hurry to go somewhere.
- Not many at all boats on Hwy, gas stations, and /or boat launches, not a good sign
- Passed on Waffle House, stopped at McDonnel , passed on Last Stop food store
- Check point Abel, water still up 8-10” at junction
- Check point Bravo, tide still rising very slowly at Reggio
- Delacroix Hwy black stopped all the way to the Bay Flat Sr, real nice ride
- Bay Flat Sr high , dry, and swing back and forth in the 6-8 MPH wind, ha, ha, ha, me think the weather person blew tis one too.
- Yamaha Dream Machine cracked with one turn of the key, what a machine, what a dream
- Quick stop at Lionel’s for some ice and go juice
- Now the major decision where to go to fish a 18-20 E.N.E. wind, spot # 2A popped up in me 286 brain, off me went
- Sunny & clear
- Cool / mild temps, almost time for camouflage jump suite to be on board the Bay Flat Sr.
- Little red button, (re: heat) was so far in could not find it
- Water temp 72.1 F looking good, come on 57F
- Water level up 8-10” it just won’t go down, been high forever
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus, fishable, but stained, lost sight of the lure 6-8” down
- Tail end of a rising tide, than slack all day, could not find any moving water
- Saw (1) boat all day
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. & the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Bring home (18) fish for Big Bud, odd to him from last trip.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Not possible, wind blowing so hard it ran around corners. Me had to get right up against the shore line to get out of the wind, did a lot of cross wind fishing today.)
- MOVING WATER: (Hard to find this today, slack all day, with the wind not sure if it rising / falling / slack and the wind had it moving some.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not bad / not good, but fishable)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 61C, with criteria # 1 met produced (16)t
- PATIENTS: ( Needed some today, first part of the trip nothing, fished 61C for an hour nothing decided to take a nap. Must have sleep for around 20 minutes than heard the helicopter overhead, Coast Guard, they must have seen me move and kept on going. Back to sleep, doze off for about another20 minutes had a fly bit me, kept flying around me, figured this might be a sign so me got up and started casting, 3rd cast it was on, on, on, not a slam but steady action, plus many, many, that me missed with a cork.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ANCHORED ALL FISH CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..ALL FISH CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….NOTHING
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
- Lived to fish another day
- ( 21) (NMR) Silverwonders (3) throw backs
- (1) Gaff Top
- Saw (6) alligators
- Saw a Kingfish bird first one me seen in a long time
- Saw thousands, & thousands of ducks, bands of 100 , 150, & 200 ducks in them, most ducks me every seen down in Delacroix, me hope they still round for duck hunting season
- Plenty of cool fresh air, me lungs needed this badly
- White Pelicans showing up at Delacroix
- Water temp dropping
- Pelicans cursing along Hwy 11 5 mile bridge
- All we need now is for the Loons to show up along the trestles
- Got me heart rate up with any strenuous exercise, beat, beat, beat was the rhythm
- Wonderful day on the water with three of the best fisherperson me know, me, meself, & me.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Easy one, only one, best one.
Signs (water temp dropping, pelicans showing up, birds diving in Lake P, etc. etc.) are all over the place, best be getting ready for the Silverwodners slam, Suggest you get many 3” H&H purple beetles, and many Matrix Sadh Lemon Drop, along with many, many, H&H round white head w/gold hook, don’t be caught short get them while the getting is good.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Catching doesn’t make appointments, you have to be ready when it on, on
O & A:
Why is water wet?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Big Bud just stop by to pick up fish, he to check with Big Sue to see if he can go Saturday.
Big Don to check and see if he can go October 25th which is our annual celebration of the first time we got to fish Delacroix after hurricane Katrina, me did not have a boat, Big Don offered to take me in his, we been celebrating that date ever since.
Tomorrow open, not sure what lie ahead, and Friday Dr. day.
Hope to see all you fisherperson out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 968 views