Oneofthepack got no response for post looking first mate for Friday trip, so me did not go. Saturday had something to do in town, so me no go again. Along come Sunday, based on call for first mate for Friday and getting no repose, me decided to make another solo trip to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Last trip to many moons between trips
- Friday ran some errands with Big Andrew, lost me $330.00 plus sun glasses, just had them put new liens in the frame, this the third time me lost them, told Loveofthepack next time spend mothing mote then $20.00 on sun glasses for me.
- Saturday, Loveofthepack and Oneofthepack took in a movie, we both still feeling good, so we head toe h coast, Hollywood Casino for some action and to see if we could find any fishes, poker players ) that wanted to play. No problem finding a poker game, but me was the fish, lost a C note, (not a good sign) Loveofthepack not better on slot machine we called it an early night, she to run a training race, and me going fishing in the am.
- 4:00 AM Sunday morning, me not wild about going fishing, had no first mate. Me hate working the bow, and stern voice activated power poles by meself. Me looked at rodnreel.com, weather stations, tide range, water level, still not feeling the urge to go. Me decide to flip the coin, (regular coin not the 2 headed coin) head me go, heads it was so off me went.
- No wild life sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, not a good sign.
- Boats stacked up on Hwys, gas stations, boat launches, this is when me realized it was a weekend worrier day, me to have plenty company on the water.
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, Last Stop food store, me on mission to lose weight cause me had a Dry appointment today and him always on me case to lose weight.
- Check point Abel, water level down, down, (not a good sign) at bayou along road at the junction of the hwy to Hopedale and Delacroix.
- Check point Bravo water pouring out at Reggie Canal, not a good sign.
- Arrived at the Bay Flat Sr abode, she high and dry, just setting in her slings waiting for some action.
- Yamaha Dream Machin fired up one turn of the key, got to love it.
- Turn on all the electronics, no problem, got to be a good day
- Passed on stopping at Lionel’s, had ice, gas, and water to drink
- Off to spot # 64 to start me day of fishing / catching.
- W.S.W. wind 6-8 mph perfect
- Sunny & clear
- Mild to warm temps\Low humidity made the day a lot more enjoyable.
- Water temp 77.6 F
- Water level down 18-32”
- Tide none, could not find any moving water, me left at 1:45 AM still had no sign of moving water, tried all the choke down spots me know nothing, no current lines to be found.
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 to 3 minus, depending on where me was at. Once again Point Fienne had the cleanest looking water, but no fish.
- Boats all over the place, me stayed pretty much in one spot, counted (13) boats motor by me.
- Scenery was a sight to behold, wildlife all over the marsh, gators, Nutrias, Coons, Mashes Hens, ducks, Hawks, and many other birds, bugs, just a very entertaining trip enjoying all that Mother Nature has to give.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Solo trip was called for, as the catching has not been that great, some of past crew says to call them when they biting, but some enjoy the outing / journey as much as me do, catching only makes it a little better.
- Gather Intel for next trip, so me can make the best choice for crew to catch a few, me identified a couple of spots that should be a producer for next crew and / or first mate.
- Put some hours on the Yamaha Dream Machine
- Being a Scorpio me like to pursue the sting of happiness & tranquility in a location that is dear to me heart.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind no problem today, fish just about anywhere you want.)
- MOVING WATER: (This was the challenge of the day, to find moving water, me ran to a few spots to see if me could find some moving where the cuts, channel choke up, me find at these spots water always moving, ,but not today.)
- WATER CALRITY: (No complaint, very fishable conditions, lure color was betting looking with the Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, Purple beetle did not show up well in the water clarity we had today.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 61 C at 1:27 PM, had a crazy 10 minutes, caught 5 in a row, plus 2 Stripe Bass, other than that could not find any action in all other spots.)
- PATIENTS: (Needed some today, but me was set for a marathon type day, me was just going to wait them out. Me had the why, where, what, how of the equation, all me needed was the WHEN, and me was ready to wait them out. Most crew that fish with us, not keen on waiting them out, but sometimes that is what it takes.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining (8) t
- Oak River Troll (ORT) (1) t
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) did not try
- Oak River Skim (ORS) did not try
- Cork did not try
- Dead bait none
- Live bait none
lure du jour:
- Pictures do not lie, (see attach) Matrix Shad Lemon Drop was the killer for the day, matched dup with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook prove to be the fishes choice of bait today.
- It was a slow day, first fish caught at 9:05 AM, 3” purple Beetle matched up with H&H 1/3 oz. round white head w/gold hook got us started. Me did the (ORT) me knew that if there was a fish in the area the (ORT) would make it bite. Caught 1 had 3 hits.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64, 61C (1)t, 18E (2)t, D,C,B, 2A (1)t, 20, 21, 22, 60, 61, 61C (5)t, called it a day at 1:45 PM, turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (9) NMR Silverwonders, (1) throw back
- (1) Missed at boat
- (3) Reds
- (1) Freshwater Drum
- (2) Stripe Bass
- (1) Crab
- (2) Oyster shells
- (2) Sticks
- (1) Bushel of grass
- Saw the sun come up
- Saw (14) Alligators
- Saw (12) Nutria
- Saw (1) coon
- Many, many, many birds
- On the way in passed (2) fisherpersons, their first time to Delacroix, the up on the flat about a ½ mile from the launch fishing, me motored over to see if they alright. Yep says them we trying to lose the live shrimp we have left. That is when me notice me got out of the channel. Any lucks says me, we caught couple of reds, but not here, says me do you know you in a foot of water, they look down at the GPS, and says this first time using GPS don’t know how to use it. Me asked if they wanted some fish, what you don’t want them says them, no me don’t eat them, yes says them if you don’t want them. After passing them the fish, me gave them some directions on how to get to Little lake and asked that they go on rodnreel.com look for Oneofthepack send me a email, me would email him backs some maps of the areas, and where and how to fish them.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
- Guess who!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, me like the odds.
Zone 1 on the map has the best looking water for us, zone 2 is a little off, have not been on zone 3 & 4. As mention above, if me know a spot is holding fish, me willing to play the waiting game looking for that crazy (15) minutes.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Fishing consists not in doing what we must, but in having the right to do what we love.
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Just got a call from first mate for tomorrow, Big Judy called to cancel out, had a situation come up that she had to attend too, no problems says me just let me know when you can make it, ,me was looking forward to sharing a day on the water with her.
Now have open Bay Flat Sr, if interested call us, (504-915-4896) hope to catch six Silverwodners tomorrow, so if you don’t like fishing, but catching is your thing, may want to wait until me can find them again, call us in October.
But if you just enjoy the time spent on the water this trip is for you. Plus this is the best time of the year to learn Delacroix, fishing ok, catching a little off, not to worry about catching, and learn, explore, find the routes / locations of the hot spots that look good, (i.e. holes, depth of water, shell bottoms, drop offs, channels, cuts, current lines, which wind to fish what spot, what tide works best for what spot, etc., etc., etc.).
Hope to see all you fisherperson out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
On me journey today (Monday (7:28 AM)) to Metairie me counted (34) boats along the trestles, that is a lot of Barbers, on the way back 1:45 counted (14).
Also the back down launch at Tites is closed, bridge work has it blocked, now me will have to ride the Bay Blat Jr from dockside to fish the trestles, not a good sign.
- One Comment
- 830 views