Loveofthepack & Oneofthepack began our Sunday morning with challenges, she at 4:30 AM for a half marathon at Fairview State Park, and me, (joined by Big Bud, aka Eastofmrgo) a late (8:00 AM) start fishing trip down to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
Judging from the number of medals Loveofthepack received (1st place for her age group, and a participation medal) compared to the number of fish Big Bud & Oneofthepack caught, that Loveofthepack had a much better productive outing. But we both / all knew it was the best outing of our life, until the next one.
- Loveofthepack up & out long before me got up
- Had no plans for a fishing trip, but after going through routine of checking our rodnreel.com, Marsh & Bayou magazine, a few fishing shows, me knew me could not resist urging to go fishing. What me needed was an accomplices, (aka First Mate) who you goanna call, Big Bud was the choice for the morning, response was immediate, agreed to meet up at 8:00 AM to start our journey.
- Big Bud had a little trouble getting into the gate, we tried to get them to schedule gate opening at 6 and close at 8, but they not receive memo yet.
- Once we in the FORD transporter, all discussion went to fishing, made our turn on to I-10 west, as we reached the base of the Twin Span, Big Bud happen to look to his right, looks says he, what do we see 8-9 boast fishing the mouth of the bayou, me came close to turning around and going to get the Bay Flat Jr, but later decided we did not want to fish the crowd.
- Called Big Andrew, gave him the intel, asked that he take a ride and check out the action, when he got their he observed for 20-30 minutes not one fish caught in the group of boats. Continuing with his recon he spoke to a shore line fisherperson, they catching anything says Big Andrew, they slaughtering them earlier says he. Me guess they were in the right place at the right time.
- Only wild life spotted on Hwy 11 & 90 was me & Big Bud
- Not many boast on Hwy, gas stations and / or launches, fact is they had more coming home than they did going fishing. Even at the launch they had 3-4 boasts returning to the dock before 9:00 AM, must have been early bites or they wanted to be home for the Saints game?????
- Check point Abel water level up 4-6” at junction
- Check point Bravo (Reggio) water coming in very slowly
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, Hwy dry (re: asphalt & Tar) for the road construction from Friday, what a mess that made trying to unload with the crew
- Loaded up quickly, Yamaha Dream Machine up and running with one turn of the key
- Passed on Lionel’s had all we needed on board the Bay Flat Sr for a fun fishing day on the water.
- Off to spot # 64 with hopes and Big Bud & Oneofthepack’ S challenge of (18) NMR Silverwonders for the day.
- S.E. wind 10-12 mph
- Sunny & clear up till about 11:00 AM then it looked like the world was going to end
- Warm temps, to mild temps (re: clouds)
- Water level up 4-6” just under dock
- Water temp 83.9F
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 5 minus, not bad
- Tail end of a rising tide, wind kept moving the water and me think held back on the falling tide, around 11:00 we started to see signs water falling very slowly.
- Best sign of the tide was the crab swimming out.
- Seen more boast going in, than we seen out & about
- This was a day meant for fishing, of course which ones aren’t?
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. & the Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Repair, refurbish, re-tie all me lines, lures, rods, reels, & poles from all the action me had Friday with the Familyofthepack crew on board the Bay Flat Sr.
- Verify & confirm Big Bud and Oneofthepack was up for our challenge of (18) for the day.
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: No problem with wind, it added our quest as it moved us around perfect for the Oak River Troll and fishing with corks.
- MOVING WATER: (This was our main challenge for the day, not much moving.
- WATER CALRITY: (Once again we had good looking water, you could see the lure down 8-10” with only a little stain)
- HOLDING FISH: ( Me know spot # 64 is holding fish, we in the right place, but the wrong time, and the right time was fast approaching)
- PATIENTS: ( After fishing with (4) youngins on board, did not need any patients today, today was a day of relaxing. We got a call from some assistance, (nothing serious / problem) back home, this along with the slow moving clouds full of rain moving our way, caused for us to cut short the trip, arrive at 9:30 AM, stopped fishing at 11:30, turned the Bay Flat Sr to the north for a quick run back to the slip before we got all wet.)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………Caught two
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..Caught 2
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….Nothing
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………Caught all fish with cork & tight line
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
SPOT # 64
- Lived to fish another day
- (2) (NMR) Silverwonders
- (2) Bass
- (1) Big Bud missed Silverwonder of the day at boat
- (1) bottom
- (1/4) bushel of grass
- Fishing on a Sunday morning with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big Bud, we think alike, fish alike, and have the same passion for fishing.
- Boiled eggs on the way home, thanks Big Bud
- Lots of rain on the way home had to sit in truck to wait for it to let up before we could get out at home, fell asleep listen to game.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Easy Big Bud, me could not find a Silverwonder for the day
Close to home where they may be!!!!!!
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Silverwonders have been left flummoxed by the chase
O & A:
- Why when you see a flock of ducks flying, one line is longer?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Off to Aquarium today with Big Vienne (5) she had a half day of school and requested the we take her to see the sharks. But the rest of the week will be a fishing we go.
Got a call from Big Curtis & Big May, me asked the hold off on trip , to me be able to find some fish to catch they agreed, so they will be first up aboard the Bay Flat Sir when the actions start.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 690 views