Frist mate for Wednesday, Big PJ, this be his 3rd or 4th trip aboard the Bay Flat Sr, has some extensive learnings of the ways with the operation of the voice activated power pole, and today was a full day of operating it, as we ran, ran, ran, (52 plus miles) all over in search of the Silverwodners and to catch what catch can.
- Suppose to be a cloudy day, keep the sun off us
- Monday & Tuesday had some work to do, no fish
- Early meet up 3:45 AM, me thought this might be a little early, but it was perfect, matter of fact is we going further out me think we would have had to leave at 3 AM. To beat the sun showing herself.
- No wild life sighting along Hwy 11 or 90, don’t like this sign.
- No boat on Hwy, none in gas stations, and boat launches looked empty
- Passed on Waffle House., McDonnel, Last Stop food store, but did stop at gas station and get one of those giant biscuits with sausage & egg, they be BIG.
- Check point Able water level down 8-10”
- Check point Bravo no water moving in Reggio canal, not good
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, neighbor had already left, me know he fishing outside, don’t know how he made out.
- Quick transfer of gear from FORD transporter to Bay Flat Sr
- Keyed the Yamaha Dream Machine up she fired right up, she be like wonder women, takes lick and keeps on running
- Passed on Lionel’s had all we needed on board
- Off to spot # 18C to start our day, was hopeing to catch the tail end of a falling tide….NOT!!!! It had already started to come in.
- They had about 10-12 boast at Bayou Bienvenue lunch, anybody know what the area producing?
- Wind, none, slick as a baby’s head, if it blowing would have been S.S.W or E
- Sunny & clear, we ran to the light
- Warm temps, stopped fishing at 8:52 AM, called it a day
- Water level down 8-10”
- Water temp 82.9F
- Tide rising all morning
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 minus, brown looking, foam spots on top, lime color slick on top, had the summer look to it.
- Grass, grass, and more grass hard time fishing with lures kept catching grass on top, middle and bottom
- Saw 2 sport boats out, and many commercial boats
- Lot of bait in the water
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Plan A start at spot # 18C, catch the end of a falling tide, not water already coming in pretty good
- Plan B run to Spot # 14, verify Silverwodners are gone, this be verified only one small Silverwonder to be had
- Plan C head out to Lake Campo, expand me comfort zone, in the 48 plus years me fish Delacroix, this be the first time me been in Lake Campo. Try and learn the area, develop some spot numbers f or it for future use.
- Plan D call it a day early to get out of the heat, but me think 8:52 AM much too early to stop fishing, but what you going to do when no action, sun coming up temps rising, just do it.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (What wind, none had, water like glass, smooth as could be, could have ran all the way to Mexico without a problem)
- MOVING WATER: (No problem with this criteria, rising all morning, what have like to had a falling tide , but make do what you have is Team Jo-Jo other motto)
- WATER CALRITY: (3 minus not bad, water had a lime color sheen on top of it, small patches of foam on top, water has that summer look, and it no be a good look / sign)
- HOLDING FISH: (If you can call it that spot # 14 held (1))
- PATIENTS: ( This criteria was the challenge for today, me and Big PJ was not in the game, me think we both expecting a Silverwonder slam like our last trip out, right place, right lure, right presentation, just wrong time of the year.)
- SKILL: (Acknowledging the fact the Silverwonders have left, being able to expand me comfort zone and try to learn, and improve me skills of / to fish outside
- LUCK: (We did not get wet, heat stroke, and did not get skunked)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTHING
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….ALL FISH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. NOTHING
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 18C, 14 (1)t, 15, 5, 6, 49, 49A, Oak River & Twin Pipeline, Lake Campo, 51C, stopped fishing at 8:52 AM, called it a day.
- Lived to fish another day
- (1) Throwback Silverwonders
- (1) Big Hard head
- (2) Bushels of grass
- Morning on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big PJ
- Explored / found Lake Campo, me think, fished a couple of the islands, but me think you need either live or dead bait out there.
- Did not see a bird in the shy, on the water, that we could fish under, learned no to chase the stories of where they be at. But me already knew that chasing stories is not the way to catch Silverwonders, you want to be the story creator.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Let’s just say me did not get skunked
Have no idea on where and/or how to fish this time of the year, but we still will concentrate on our summer time spot numbers and catch what catch can.
Live or dead bait is a must to have on board to catch the fishes.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Catching is not a reward, it’s a consequence.
O & A:
If Matrix Shad Lemon Drop is so popular, why do you have to buy all the others lures?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
- Off the water Friday
- Saturday joining Bog T-Doc & Big Pablo for a trip to the MRGO & the rocks out of Hopedale
- Sunday happy farther ‘s day to you dads out there, me be off the water
- Next week Big Ronnie (aka Wildman aka Dago) will be jumping in the Bay Flat Sr, we will make our inside milk run, and we will have some dead bait, will throw cast net and try to catch a bunch of finger mullets.
Hope your trips rip some lips, we will be out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 717 views