The moon, sun, climate where all align, and it came time for Big PJ to be first mate today aboard the Bay Flat Sr. our last attempt Oneofthepack left Big PJ and Big Bud stranded at Waffle House for a 5:00 AM meetup, but Oneofthepack did no wake up till 7:00 AM, not good.
- Me 3 alarm clocks are working well, me hope me never late again
- Have been getting a few calls for fisherperson wanted to be first mate, have them stacked up, next up Big don & Big Lucy, hope to make a trip and help them pick up their boat, it be needs some TLC.
- Me arrive at Big PJ house for 4:35 AM for our 5:00 AM meet up, that be more me style early not late
- Me let Big PJ drive as me eyes still playing tricks on me, can drive but have to close one eye so me don’t see double.
- NO wild life sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
- Not Many boats on Hwy, gas stations, and/or boat launches
- Passed on Waffle House, McDonnel, but could not make it pass Gerald’s donuts, had 2 hot glaze with a chocolate milk, hit the spot and got a sugar rush, Big PJ on a BIG cinnamon role with a diet coke.
- Last Stop food store blew by in a hurry
- Check point Abel, water level up 10-13” me liking this
- Check point Bravo, water / tide slack at Reggio canal, not well.
- Very little activity along Delacroix Hwy
- Arrived at the home of the Yamaha Dream Machine and her partner Bay Flat Sr, quick transfers of gear and we on our way
- No need to stop at Lionel’s we had all we needed on board.
- Off to spot # 14 to start our day of fun
- S.E. Wind 20-25 mph, blowing hard & steady all day
- Sunny & clear
- No jump suite today, mild temps, than warm temps, wind kept us cool
- Water temp 75.3F getting up their
- Water level up 12-14”
- Tide coming in all day, moving strong, saw a few current lines, but wind made it impossible to fish them
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 2 plus, this be the same in all areas, could not find any better looking water as we ran around.
- Only aw 3 boats all day, most where returning down Twin Pipeline
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Try spot # 14, see if the Silverwodners where willing to play again
- Put some in the ice chest for Big PJ fish fry, brother coming to town next week from California.
- Experience and learn fishing a 20 to 25 mph E.S.E. wind
- Scout area for Saturday rodeo we be fishing
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Challenge for the day, could not get out of the wind, blowing so hard it wrapped around shoreline from all directions, made it a little tough to cast and feel the few bites we got. Tried the Oak River Troll, wind and current in same directions PERFECT, but we doing 2.5 mph without motor, this be to fast.)
- MOVING WATER: (Another challenge for the day, too much of a good thing, wind was pushing water coupled with tide, made for a fast moving water through the cuts and channels we fished, stayed strong all day.)
- WATER CALRITY: (One more challenge for the day, have seen better, but very fishable, had that clear look on surface, but 3” down you lost the lure in the muddy looking water, hope when the wind dies down it does not take long for it to clear up. Also check siphon, it on is open 1,000 cuft/s, not much but still dumping river water inot the Delacroix system.)
- HOLDING FISH: (One or two in various spots, not hot spots today, #14 did produce the most fish over all)
- PATIENTS: ( Needed and had some today, slow day, but the action with the BIG Drums kept us interested all day, we kept moving around to also let time pass until we found our missing crazy 15 minutes)
- SKILL: (Whatever was needed we did not have today, me just could not make it happen, try we did, bit it not to be today)
- LUCK: (3 Alarm clocks working for me
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………99% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(1) SILVERWONDER
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….NOTHING
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………100% CUAGHT WITH THIS LURE
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 14 3t, 1,2,2A, 18 (1)t, 18 B,C,D, 62C,5 (1)T, 6, 51, 52 (2)T, 51A ,B, C,D stopped fishing at 12:50, turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- ( 7) NMR Silverwonders
- (2) BIG. BIG Drum
- (3) Oyster shells
- (2) Bushels of grass, had a lot to go around
- No food, no drinks, Big PJ doped ball again
- Got into discussion with Big PJ about life jackets, asked where was his, he say me told him not necessary as we have some on board the Bay Flat Sr, me no say that, but from now on he be bring his life jacket to wear on him all the time.
- Big Dum # 1, spot # 14, me got the hit, nut much but line went tight, (me been here before) set hook, me say Oh Oh. Me Shimano 6 foot rod , Penn 1000 II, and me 10# Big Game green line where going to be in battel for a while. Fish peeled off a lot of line, yelled to first mate to operate both voice activated power poles and get them up so fish could drag us around, did this for about 10-12 minutes, finally got to see the best, one BIG Drum it be. Net not quite big enough, coupled with Big PJ netting experience me thought we would never get the beast in the boat, but did we do, picture & release for others to enjoy fight another day.
- Big Drum # 2, me got hit , set hook, fight on, couple minutes later Big PJ gets hit, he too now hooked up with BIG fish, (see picture) both rods bending. Fish are going in different directions, they eventually work their way back together but once again in opposite directions. One fish come up by the boat, me let me line go slack to get the net as it appeared Big Pj has him hooked, get the beast in the boat and low and behold mind is gone, but me hook hooked in the beast me TGHOUGHT Big PJ hooked, now for the question, did we have two fish, are where we both fighting the same fish????????? Being the kind of fisherperson me is, when Big PJ asked who caught him, says me you, but me not really sure who caught it.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big PJ, not this time, even with his ½ Big Drum, he struggled a little with the Silverwodners, he does get a E for effort, he kept cast & retrieving all day, and believing which is the most important tackle in your box, along with confidence.
It is getting close to inside fishing tapering off, best get while the getting is good. Seeing the Big Drum coming in, best check you tackle to make sure it ready for a heavy fight.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Catching speak louder than words, with fewer lies and not so often!
O & A:
- If a compulsive fisherperson liar tells you shim is a compulsive liar do you believe shim?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Meet up tomorrow with Big Don 5 AM, we be back at them in spot # 14 to see if the fishes want to come out and play with our Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, on any other array of lures we have on board the Bay Flat Sr.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 547 views