Our (Big Capt Don & Oneofthepack) annual trip to celebrate our return to fishing Delacroix Island after hurricane Katrina trip was as usual, a great trip / time was had by all. Big Bill joined us today, Big Capt Don felt he needed help in keeping up with Oneofthepack so he brought in a ringer to help him achieve the honors of fisherperson of the day.
- Had the trip plan for months
- No trouble sleeping, laid my head down at 9:30 pm, sleep by 9:40 did not wake up to 3:45 am when the alarm went off
- Jumped up, shower, loaded up the FORD transporter, out the gate and a mad dash to Hwy 11 before I settled down, Oneofthepack was a little amped up cause had a new fisherperson fishing with us and I did not know what type success we would have today, based on past trips, me felt it might not be a good one.
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11, once made the turn on to Hwy 90 mile down the road, (3) BIG black pigs grazing on the side of the road. Me doing 58 mph with truck on cruise control, all me thought about was if they hit the Hwy I might be late for meet up at Waffle House for 5:00 am, but all was well me did not even phase them as I went by.
- Not many boats on Hwy, in gas stations, and at launches, not a good sign
- When Big Don & Big Bill show up, asked if they wanted breakfast no says them, could see they amped up, so Oneofthepack tried to bring them down to my level. Guys my last 3 trips out where not that productive, and the fish are not really biting, my expectations are not that high. They said I was trying to bum them out, no says I just telling you like it is, me think it is easier to expect less and increase you expectations as the day goes along, anything we catch would be a plus side of for the day.
- Quick breakfast, crew did not way anything, loaded all the gear and Big Capt Don truck for ride down to Delacroix
- Passed on Last Stop sandwich shop
- Check point Abel water 6” above normal
- Check point Bravo water coming in at Reggio
- Made it to the home of the Bay Flat Sr. gave the quick caution speech , re: crossing street and dock, we worked as a team transferring all the gear to the Bay Flat Sr. me think the gear dropped her about another 8 “ on her draft.
- Yamaha Dream Machine was just that a dream, she took us all over Delacroix without any feedback or trash stalking, she just did dat.
- Idled over to Lionel’s for some go juice, Yamaha Dream Machine was thirsty, had made 2 trips without a fill up.
- Spent a few minutes waiting for fay light, then we on to exercise Plan “A”, and expand Oneofthepack’ S comfort zone.
- N.N.E. 2-3 to start, then N.E. 4-6. Then East 8-10 mph, perfect winds
- Sunny & clear
- No clouds
- Cool, to mild temps
- Water temp?????
- Water level down 6-8” from last time out, 4” below dock
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was:
- About the same all over 2 to a 2 plus, no looking good, clear, but very sandy looking
- Tide came in all day, never did turn around and fall, in a lot of areas the wind was moving the water. We tried to wait for the change in one spot buy it never happen
- NO boats out and about, saw only 2 running around
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Have fun
- Get an early start, be in La Fourche at day light to fish the birds
- Give Big Bill the Delacroix tour
- Follow our suggestions posted the other night, we had a rising tide so we went out and fished out way in to Zone 1
- Expand Oneofthepack’ S comfort zone, as plan we went to Zone 4 to see if the water was any better (NOT!!!!). we fished the S.W. corner of zone 4, Bay La Fourche
- Find a spot # with the four fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- Wind at your back (Not a problem, wind not a factor, we could fish just about anywhere we wanted)
- Moving water (With the wind, water moving all day, sometimes it tide, sometimes it was the wind, and sometimes no moving water, very strange)
- Water clarity (Huston we have a problem, it was clear but very sandy looking, we did over 50 plus miles of running around and the water look about the same all over, not good. Hope once we get a hard cold front come through it will push all this water out, and the water temp drops down to 55 -57 * F, me think water will look good again.
- Holding fish (Not a problem hit the mother load at spot # 57 & 58, had 46 t before we made a move, not a slam, but slow steady action.)
- Corks (34)t
- Oak River Troll (12)t
- Cats & retrieve tight Line (2)t
LURE DU JOUR:
- 3” H&H purple beetle matched up with ¼ oz. H&H round white head with gold hook, caught 989. % of fish & 1 gator
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop caught the balance
- We each had a different color on, but once the first Silverwonder hit the purple beetle, it was a mad dash for them in the tackle box.
- Big Bill was filling us in at breakfast of all the lures he likes to use, seems he a avid Matrix Shad user, and he likes various colors of them, but it did not take long for him to make the change to purple, me either.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS ON THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 58 (33), 57 (12)t 43A (3)t,43,50,53,54,52A,52,51,6,5,2A (1)t, 18,18A,B,C,D,E,61C (1)T, called it a day around 2:10 pm, TRUNED THE Bay Flat Sr. north for a quick smooth ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (50) Silverwodners (24) throw backs
- (2) Throwback reds
- (1) Flounder (Big Bill)
- (1) 6 foot plus alligator (Big Don) (check out picture, alligator still has H&H purple beetle in its mouth)
- (1) crab
- (1) bottom
- (3/4) bushel of grass
- Best peanut butter sandwiches Oneofthepack ever had, asked Big don not to use the crunches type, me like smooth peanut butter
- Water provide by Capt Don was frozen and taste great
- Got to meet new fisherperson & friend, Big Bill, looking forward to another trip soon.
- Got to take our first picture of fish in a long, long, long time, and to mention the crew pictures too.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Bill, (not!!!) Big Bill was holding his own with the corks, but when it came time to Oak River Troll (ORT), me think it was learning process for him, even tight lining was a little thought. After a while of a long spell with no bites, suggest he use one of our poles, matter of fat gave him the pole I was using. First drip (ORT) nice flounder, second drift (ORT) little Silverwonder. Big Bill left handed did not feel comfortable with right hand rig went back to his rig.
Oneofthepack was very, very, very slow coming out of the gate, Big Don had at least 5-6 in the boat and Big Bill was right on his heels. It took a while for me to get the knack of the cork fishing. I was checking both of their rigs to see how deep they fishing, Big Don looked to be 2 foot deep, but after looking closely at his rig, he using a sliding cork, so he not 2 feet but 4 feet deep. Me just about to try to re-rig when me catch one, then it was on, on. Also knew when came to (ORT) and tight line technique, it would be a fin of a different color, advantage Oneofthepack, me on a roll and have it all sewed up.
Now comes Big Don story, (he already conceded at the Waffle House he not fisherperson of the day, much to my delight, takes pressure off me) he off like a Silverwonder in a school of shiners, 1,2,3,4, more, & more, lifted into the Bay Flat Sr. looked to me he was trying for the honors, but me think me edged him out in the end. The he gets a bite, (we dong the ORT) and starts to reel in, BIG drum says he, bottom says I, looked like he fighting a log. When Big Don gets it alongside the Bay Flat Sr. to all surprise a 6 foot plus alligator, Big Don thing fried alligator tail. Big don starts yelling for net, mean camera, me fixing line not interested in getting camera, he still yelling camera, finally finish fixing line and get camera, it took (3) tries to get a picture, cause when the beast came up, it dove right back down. Big Don popped his line and the action was over, time to go home. Me do think Big Don deserves the FISHERPERSON of the day title, for today that is.
Water clarity not good, (as we like it) BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Caught fish, was told by a few reliable fisherpersons Four Horse Lake was the spot, we were heading that way after our first stop, but water not looking at better, and they had all kinds of boat coming from that way toward Oak River.
Hit Bay La Fouche early, play the shore line with corks, if you can catch a falling tide, me think it will be a Silverwonder slam.
As always live shrimp may be better, but for us, too much trouble dealing with them
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Seeing a Silverwonders is a moment of beauty, known only to those who seek it
Off to see Big Burgan ganddaughtreofthepack sign at Karaoke, hope to be back at them in the am, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
Big Burgan won the signing contest, she 1 of 4 finalist that will sing next Tuesday for the grand prize go girl.
Cap.’t Dale Mc Call and I ran out of Grand Chenier yesterday. Seas were 4-6′ at 22 miles. We stopped and sampled several platforms in 50′ of water. Tagged and released 15 snapper. hooked up with 2 ling and released them also. We didn’t catch any this close in this past summer. Fish were 15-20″.
Fishing heating up each day with this fall like weather.
Fishing is at its best now and will continue to be fantastic for several weeks to come.
We have some open days to get in on the action.
OPEN DAYS TO FISH WITH US:
Sunday October 30
November 1, 2, 21,
BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU THAT FISH WITH US!
Capt. Jody Donewar
504 453 1519
- Artificial Baits
- Boat & RV Storage
- Boat Launch
- Boat Yard - Repairs
- Fishing Charters & Guides - Louisiana
- Fishing Charters & Guides - Mississippi
- Fly Fishing
- Hunting Guides & Charters
- Inboard & Outboard Parts and Accessories
- International Outdoor Excursions
- Live Bait
- Marinas & Launches
- Marine Electronics
- Outdoor Supplies & Equipment
- Real Estate
- Sportsmen's Lodging
- Trailers, Parts & Service
- TV Shows
- Vessel Assistance / Towing