Nothing plan, once again the opportunity presented itself, and me attacked it like a Redworrier attacking an H&H purple beetle. Me had one problem, no first mate, (needed someone to operate the bow voice activate power pole, me had stern covered) first text to Big PJ gave him first shot, no response. Next text to Big Don, text he, me always open to an opportunity, so we made plans to meet up at Team Jo-Jo official meeting place in Chalmette, Waffle House for 6 AM.
- Saints lost, (know many will dispute this) no good sign at all
- Patriot’s won, good sign for me
- No fish Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, much too long to not fish, this be a very bad sign
- Installed hand me down, (from Bay Flat Sr, thanks to Santa) bow seat in Bay Flat Jr
- Great night sleep, real deep sleep
- Called to make sure Bayou Bienvenue locks open, yessum was the answer me got
- Up early needed to prep Bay Flat Jr and selected rods me wanted to bring with us all (7) of them
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90, not good sign
- Me first to arrive at Waffle House, ask Big Don you have ice, no says me, than we don’t have any ice says he, says me, you don’t have any ice.
- Says me did you bring some insurance (dead shrimp) no says he, says me than you don’t have that either.
- Big Don found some dead shrimp, picked up some ice, now he feel completed.
- Gulf Outlet Marine lot empty, we only boat, then one other showed up
- Only 3 pulls to get the Yamaha Nightmare Machine started, very good sign
- S.E. wind 6-8 mph, later in the day 12-15 mph, it be an off shore breeze
- Overcast low cloud day
- Cool temps jumpsuit stayed on all day
- Water temp 52F
- Water level about normal
- Tide was dead, me found out why later in the day
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7 was a 3 plus, lost lure about 10-12” below surface
- Early in the AM 7:30 the whole Pin came to life, 15-20 Pelicans dive bombing, 25-50 Camagrants diving, fish hitting the surface, just plenty of wildlife action all over The Pen. It was a beautiful sight to see and experience, me loved it.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- See if the Redworries wanted to come out and play
- Fish the ICW & MRGO try to learn to fish that area, but Huston we have a problem
- Find some Silverwonders
- Try trolling the edge of the drop offs in the MRGO, ICW, and Michaud Slip
- Bring some live shrimp, (for Silverwonders) but me was told it was over for / with live shrimp, but Fishermen’s Friend did not get the memo, they had some pretty good looking no existence live shrimp for all
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (This criteria was a tough one today, as we had to throw directly into the wind to hit the honey hole, you had to make a bullet type cast to get the distance you were looking for. We could have put the Bay Flat Sr on the upside of the drop off and had the wind behind us, u the Redworrier like the lure coming down the drop off, shallow to deep. So we just fought the wind all morning.)
- MOVING WATER: (This criteria too was impacting by the fact the Bayou Bienvenue locks where closed, we had 30 Redworries for 8:50 so we wanted to go chase the elusive Silverwonder, but when we made it to the locks, the bridge was down and locks where closed, not good, so we just turned around and went back to The Pen to finish our day of fishing.
- WATER CALRITY: (Not as usual or as good as me like to see it, but in the deep water it looked a little better, me say a 3 on the scale of 1-7, a little sandy looking)
- HOLDING FISH: (The Pen)
- PATIENTS: ( Only took 3 cast to catch the first, and it lasted all the way till about 11:38 AM, steady action he whole time.)
- SKILL: (Did not leave bites to go find fish, we on a Redworrier slam, all be it in the Redworrier bursary, it was fun to catch and release all morning.)
- LUCK: (Locks where closed)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………65% ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Drift with the wind cast & retrieve (DWWC&R)……………DID NOT TRY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID ONT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………35% CAUGHT THIS WAY
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….65% CAUGHT W/THIS LURE, HAD TO GO TO A 1/8 OZ. HEAD
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………DID NOT TRY
- Marker 54 hard plastic shrimp……….. DID NOT TRY
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) Silverwonders
- (53) Redworries, (49) of which where Redworries Jr 14- 15 ½” ratreds, but they be fair game in a week or two.
- (2) Oyster shells
- (1) brick
- (1) wire cabel
- (1/4) bushel of grass
- 10-12 bottoms, 10-12 popped lines, me did not mind losing the jig heads, but me did not like losing me precious / scares H&H purple beetle.
- Wonderful display of birds, fish & wildlife
- Lots of fresh cool air in me lungs
- Refreshing morning on the water with one of the best fisherpersons me know Big Don, only because Big Lucy was not with us.
- Learned me need to add (4) cleats to the Bay Flat Jr so we can tie up when we anchor
- Short Truck ride
- Even shorter boat ride
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
It was close, real close, to close to call, Big Don did a lot of damage with his dead shrimp, but me H&H purple beetle was on, on, on too. But me would have to say the 75-100 birds diving probably out fish us by 3 to 1, so they be fisheranimals of the day.
Conditions today where not for a fair weather fisherpersons, wind was tough, water clarity a little off and BB locks closed, but it be another testament of why “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW”
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Fishing is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
O & A:
If you could teach fisherpersons in the world one technique / presentation / concept, what technique / presentation / concept would have the biggest positive impact on catching?
TEAM JO-JO’S future stratagem:
Nothing plan, just like me like it, but me know an opportunity is just a second, minute, hour, day away, one just need be ready to strike 24/7!!!!
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
2,920 followersFun fishing with a fun Captain
Captain Casey Lombard
ABOUT CAPTAIN CASEY LOMBARD
Captain Casey comes from a long line of South Louisiana fishermen. From his very first fishing trip at the age of 4, he was hooked on the sport. Much of his early childhood was spent with his father and grandfather fishing the lakes and marshes in Delacroix, Louisiana. At age 9, his best friend’s family introduced him to the abundant fishing waters in and around Terrebonne Parish where he spent countless weekends and summers all through high school developing his fishing skills and studying the habitat. His genuine love of the sport was encouraged by his family and friends who knew that every chance he could get, he went fishing!
After serving in the U.S. Navy,
Captain Casey’s passion for fishing speckled trout and bull reds led him back to the rich inland and coastal waters accessible through Cocodrie and Bayou Dularge. Captain Casey has extensive knowledge of the coastal lakes and inland bays and has studied fish migration patterns in these waters for many years. Deciding to turn his passion for fishing into a career, Captain Casey was more than excited to open Precision Fishing Charters, LLC. in November of 2017.
His goal is to share the exciting sport of inland and coastal fishing in South Louisiana’s barrier islands by providing you with a safe and thrilling fishing experience.
182 Autin Street
Des Allemands, LA 70030
Wanda Stewart of RodnReel.com
Johnathan Stewart getting in some hunting time with his dad at their camp that they have had for many years which he now brings his son to enjoy what he grew up enjoying hunting and fishing!
teach them young so they can enjoy the passion for the outdoors that you love so much!
Just wanted to share a fishing, (catching intel to let know it is happening out their) intel from Big Pablo & Big Adrian had a nice trip today, came in with a mix bag of Redworries, Stripe Snappers, and 35 (NMR) Silverwonders, fishing the Lake Borne & MRGO area on both live shrimp & lures.
Lures of choice Matrix Shad Shrimp Creole matched up with Matrix Shad ¼ oz. head fishing the bottom.
Seems these Team Jo-Jo members have found a honey hole, as this be their second trip with good results fishing areas mention above.
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
Come get in on the fishing action before you have to brace for the frigid weather next week! Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be good fishing days. The water levels are rising over night tonight and will make for a few days of good fishing.
Mr. Kelly, Mr. John, Mr. Danny and Mr. Paul (The Sheep Head Regulars) started the day by limiting on redfish in less than an hour today. They also caught 50+ sheep head about 8 feet deep, by the rigs, in Stone Island. All were caught on live shrimp and dead bait from Sweetwater Marina.
Saturday we had reports from anglers of speckle trout in Lake John and Four Horse, so get out there before it gets too cold.
And for all you duck hunters, time is coming to an end. Better hurry up and get on down here. Saturday is your deadline. 😉👍
Don’t forget we have live beautiful shrimp! 🦐
Don’t miss out on the dead bait sale we have going on this weekend!!
We can’t wait to see ya’ll!!
Geesh, Delacroix is hard to figure out right now, and that’s for the good fisherpersons. The avg and below like me are really struggling to get any type of trend going. Today sure looked good from a conditions/recent trip perspective, wind and tide, but had some of the dirtiest looking river water around in most places, just about unfishable, 2/3 inches down visibility. Lucy caught a few fish at 2 trees in Oak River, all other deeper hole spots were a bust. Lucy let me know to tell everyone she fisherperson of the day, being the modest one she is. Talked to a few fellow fisherpersons out there, they having similar results. I have no idea which way to point the boat, nothing making sense. Guess I’ll just keep going somewhere out there until something turns up.
What hit the boat:
1 throwback redfish
1 fresh water drum
LOUISIANA REDFISH FISHING CHARTERS IN COCODRIE, LA
Professional guide service that offers customized world class fishing charters for bull redfish and speckled trout.
- Artificial Baits
- Boat & RV Storage
- Boat Launch
- Boat Yard - Repairs
- Fishing Charters & Guides - Louisiana
- Fishing Charters & Guides - Mississippi
- Fishing Mall
- Fly Fishing
- Hunting Guides & Charters
- Inboard & Outboard Parts and Accessories
- Live Bait
- Marinas & Launches
- Marine Electronics
- Outdoor Supplies & Equipment
- Real Estate
- Sportsmen's Lodging
- Sportsmen's Vehicles
- Trailers, Parts & Service
- Vacations & Packages
- Vessel Assistance / Towing