We have been fishing Bayou Bievenue for the last few weeks. The bass have been going wild. We made 3 trips and slaughtered the bass each time. I have been fishing with my son. We have been catching over 100 bass per trip. We do keep our limit only. I attached a picture of our catch from Thursday and Sunday. Yellow Spinner Baits have been killer. we have been catching the fish on a outgoing tide. The harder the wind the better they seem to bite! Fish any place with openings in the grass. I had never fished this area before for Bass.
Big Don (aka Capt Don) called gave me some options for fishing, Bass off ICW, Sacalait in Bar Pits off Hwy 11, or his top secrete spot. Me think we both have been having a yearning to fish the bar pits, so that won the draw for our fun day on the water.
- No fishing over the weekend, that be a sign
- Had a great Sunday dinner red gravy & meatballs, brother from Tennessee in with some of his clan, had neighbor over, and Daughterofthepack and her clan, all total (13) for a impromptu visit and dinner, this was one of those moments you could not duplicate, even if you tired.
- Monday off the water
- Got the call from Big Don, yessum says me ready to go, meet up at our abode for 5:45 AM
- Early to bed , early to rise
- Hooked up the Bay Flat Jr, all gear already in her, Big Don drives up loaded up his gear, me think we almost needed another boat for his gear.
- No wild life sightings on Hwy 11 bridge
- No boast fishing along trestles, looked a little rough and dirty
- Made it to launch on Hwy 11, no boats in parking lot, told Big Don me no see any boats there for a while when me pass by many times, this be a sign for sure.
- Launch the Bay Flat Jr, one pull on eh Yamaha Nightmare Machine that’s all, now that is a sign
- Down we run the bayou at almost top speed, get down 2 -3 block growth in bayou, not look bad so we continue
- Growth turns in to full blown football field of plant life.
- Also notice that water looks worst then river water, must be from all that sand they pumped in from the lake P.
- On to plan “B”
- S.E. wind 15-20 mph, steady it be
- Some clouds, mostly sunny & clear
- Mild temps
- Water level up
- Water temp 68 – 70F
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7:
- Bar Pit 1 plus, real bad in canal before bar pit
- Bar Pit canal to Hwy I-10 3 plus
- Carr canal 2 plus
- Seems me cannot get away from the dirty water
- Tide, don’t think we had any at Bar Pit, but water was pouring into canal out of the marsh, and at Carr drive it looked to be coming in, because the Bay Flat Jr was standing still wind gong one way water the other.
- We had all areas to ourselves, not other boats out and bout
- Saw one boat in Lake P trolling as we was going from plan “A” to plan “B”.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Jr. and Yamaha Nightmare Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Sacalait & Bass.
- Calm the desire to fish the Bar Pits for a while to come.
- Big Don wanted to fish canal along Hwy 11, mw mention me would like to fish Carr Drive but no place to launch, you want to fish their says he, yessum says me, let’s go says he, he knew of a nice back down launch to launch us.
- Next outing we will try canal that runs parallel to Hwy 11, but me think that will be dirty too.
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind diffidently at our back, we used it to push us along the bayou as we fished the shoreline, it would have been too windy to anchor up and cast & retrieve.)
- MOVING WATER: (WE think we had some in Carr canal, we could see what looked like a current line, but we not sure wind blowing too hard to make it out.)
- WATER CALRITY: (Challenge of the day, me think it is following me around, but me know one day me will find clean water to fish & catch)
- HOLDING FISH: (Shore line of Carr canal, all fish caught their)
- PATIENTS: (None needed, with plan “A” going down the tubes, and plan “B” up next there was no time to get bored, through in a few fish and it made our day)
- SKILL: (Had to resurrect me fresh water fishing skills, worm fishing, have not done that in a while, but like riding a bike, you don’t forget.)
- LUCK: (Luck was with us today, did not get wet, only a little dry sprinkle here and there, and additional luck was that Big Don left his worm pole in the truck)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT DRIFTING ALONG THE SHROE LINE CASTING AND RETIREIVING.
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..DID NOT TRY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..DID NOT TRY
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….DID NOT TRY
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
- 6” CURTLY TAIL Tequila Sunrise worm, matched up with light worm hook and 1/16 on sliding worm sinker, caught them all.
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Bar Pit off Hwy 11, Carr drive, stopped fishing around 11:15 AM, picked up the Bay Flat Jr and we were on our return trip back the abode.
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) NMR Silverwonders
- (6) Bass
- (2) Bass missed at boat
- (1) tiny perch
- (1) Gar missed at boat
- (1) Hat
- (3) Bottoms
- (2) Bushels of grass
- (4) Tangled lines
- Conquered the desire to fish Bar Pit and Carr drive
- Put a few fish in the box to celebrate lent
- Peanut butter sandwiches and ice cold water, thanks to Big Don, you the man
- Spending the day on the water with one of the best fisherpersons me know, Big Don (Capt Don as he likes to be called)
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big Don was in the game, however having to operate the trolling motor by hand, (his boat as foot control) not having his worm pole, (left in truck) in the BAY Flat Jr, no plastic worms, no worm hooks, no sliding sinkers, but to his credit he had some Grass Shrimp he’s been keeping alive for 3-4 days. All of this info / Intel to say he not fisherperson of the day, notice me did not say excuses, because he say he had none.
He had to bring up the past, ask he did you hear what happen to Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo)….No says me what happen, (this after me already lost two fishing partners in a short period of time) says he got inducted into the fisherperson of the day hall of fame, cause every time he goes with you (Oneofthepack) he out fishes you and he be fisherperson of the day……Not today me said.
Fine clean water, and when you do let me / us know.
Silverwodners have to turn on by mid-March, thy just have to, so be ready.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
O & A:
What is the biggest waste of fisherpersons potential?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Delacroix, Delacroix, Delacroix, and me going to need some first mates to help bring in the Silverwodners, stay tune, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
Quick report from here at Sweetwater. The fishing seems to be pretty steady on the speckled trout for the guys that know how to fish Delacroix. In fact, some of them have been catching limits. The guys that don’t know much about Delacroix seem to be catching at least a dozen or so trout, with some reds, black drum and bass. Some people have been catching plenty of sheephead. The wind is making it tough. However, at least we are getting some warm weather. Its not miserably cold anymore. We have plenty of live shrimp for those that want to fish with live bait. If you don’t launch here at Sweetwater, of course we will still sell you live bait. If you get a chance and want to come fishing, watch the weather and head down. The hotspots seems to be Lake Amadee, Lake John area, FourHorse, Lake Campo and even heard a few other spots. With the river water seeping through certain areas, you have to find a clear pocket of water, which is where the fish are usually piled up. As far as the redfishing guys that have been practicing, they have been giving some decent reports here and there. We know how that goes with redfishing guys though. They may or may not be telling the truth. If you can make it down, come on down. There is no better place to fish than in the east and Saint Bernard parish marshes. It’s one of the last places left that still have inland bays, inland lakes, and inland bayous that you can target redfish and speckled trout in. Other spots are washed wide open. We can’t wait to see you here at Sweetwater Marina!
Remember we do have non-ethanol fuel, ice, tackle, live bait, dead bait, maps, gps chips, bugspray, sunscreen, drinks, snacks, oil and anything you might need for a great day on the water.
We also offer A+ service! We will launch your boat for you, park your vehicle, give you golf court rides to and from your vehicle, point you to all the hotspots and anything else you may need help with!
If you are interested in booking lodging or charters, please call 504-342-2368!
Charters- are $750 for up to 4 anglers! The captain provides everything! The only thing you need to bring is lunch and drinks for yourselves, something to bring your cleaned and packaged fish home in and a fishing license! If you don’t have a Louisiana fishing license, you will need to get a 3 day charter license! For more info call the number above!
Lodging-we have units that sleep up to 6 people and are $160.50 per night! They are in the best location in Delacroix! Right across from the Marina! You can leave your boat in the water! Launches are free! Linens, towels, rags, silverware, plates, bowls and cups are all in the room! There is a coffee pot (with everything needed to make the coffee), griddle, fridge, freezer, sink and charcoal grills outside of each room! The bedroom contains 2 bunk beds with full bottom and twin top! In the living room area, there are two sofas (one’s a sofa sleeper) and a television with cable! And a full size bathroom! There is wifi available! So..don’t pass up on the opportunity to stay in our convenient, comfy lodge. We do now offer two bedroom lodging with a full kitchen. They are set up a little bit differently. They are a bit more spacious. Call with any questions or to reserve your dates!!!
- Artificial Baits
- Boat & RV Storage
- Boat Launch
- Boat Yard - Repairs
- Fishing Charters & Guides - Louisiana
- Fishing Charters & Guides - Mississippi
- Fly Fishing
- Hunting Guides & Charters
- Inboard & Outboard Parts and Accessories
- Live Bait
- Marinas & Launches
- Marine Electronics
- Outdoor Supplies & Equipment
- Real Estate
- Sportsmen's Lodging
- Trailers, Parts & Service
- TV Shows
- Vessel Assistance / Towing