Big PJ & Oneofthepack rematch today, we both had hopes of a repeat trip from Monday, and where looking forward to a very close competition today. Both of u made the necessary adjustments to ensure we were ready for all and any challenges today.
- Monday a trip of what memories are made of
- Stayed home and rest Monday night , wanted to be fresh for today trip
- Good night sleep
- Up at 3:00 AM for a 5:00 AM meet up
- FORD transporter loaded in no time
- Big PJ waiting on the corner, all his gear went into the FORD transporter and we were on our way.
- No wildlife sightings along Hwy 11 or 90
- Not many boast on Hwy, gas stations, and. or launches
- Passed n McDonnel, Waffle House, and Last Stop food store
- Did make a stop at Violet gas station for ice, no snacks
- Check point Able water level up
- Check point Bravo very little water moving in Reggio Canal, good sign
- Arrived at the home of the Bay Flat Sr, just than Big Nicky pulled up, he going fishing too, say he need to put some run time on the small boat.
- Loaded up the Bay Flat Sr, off we go to spot # 64D to start our morning, hoping we would have the same conditions, weather, tide, fish.
- Wind S.S.E clam, South 8-10, than S.S.W. 12-14, good by water
- Sunny & clear, had a few clouds but not many
- Mild to warm temps, jump suite came off early
- Water level up 2-3”
- Water temp 69.9F
- Water clarity on a scale pf 1-7 was a 6 plus, looked real good
- Tide, tail end of a rising tide, slack, then turned and started to fall, perfect
- We did not have the same conditions as Monday, me mention to Big PJ that this might happen, and that the Silverwodners could move and /or not bite.
- Did not see any boats, looked strange not to see them or hear them running around.
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Have this fish off PJ vs. Oneofthepack, fun it be especially when it in me back yard.
- Gather some more fish for Big PJ and his freezer
- Strike the iron while its hot, and stay on them for as long as it last
- Find a spot # with the five fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Did a lot of shifting today, but we were OK, all for one spot where we had it right in our face, but the Silverwodners did not seem to mind. Wind created all kinds of current lines to fish, and even helped with the Oak River Troll, wind was our friend today.)
- MOVING WATER: (Not a problem, change of a tide rising to falling ideal conditions / opportunity, perfect)
- WATER CALRITY: (Another plus, looked real great, had that black, clear looking water, some call it root beer looking water, but this was better than that)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot # 64 & 64C they where they, we had to fin.nees them today no slam today).
- PATIENTS: ( Conditions where different we had a rising tide this time, told Big PJ we would have to wait for the tide to change and start falling. We caught a few at first but than we had that slack tide and after an hour BIG PJ , (me think has very little patients) says he, what you say you ready to run around, NOPE says me, we know they are here and/or in the area, we will have to figure them out.
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………99.9% FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..(2) CAUGHT
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..(1) CAUGHT
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………NONE
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….100% OF FISH CUAGHT
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 64D (4) T, 64 (21) T, 64C (20) T, 64 (2) T, 64 A (2)T, stopped fishing at 11:40 turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a quick bumpy ride back to the slip.
- Lived to fish another day
- (49) Silverwonders (3) throwbacks
- (4) Throwback reds
- (4) missed at boat
- Fight of the day, 30-35 # drum or red, what a fight on Clarus rod and little reel with 10# mono. Me spool was real low on line, it made a run drag set perfect, but me use me thumb on the spool to add a little more pressure. Fish went all over the bayou, made 2-3 runs all the time me could see the bottom of me spool. Fish put up a great fight and me had him, fish came up and belled up, me relaxed, fish made a last split second run and it was all over, but this challenge will be etched in me memory bank for a long time to come, and oh the stories that will be told about this fish..
- (1) Extra poles
- (4) Bottoms
- (2) popped lines
- No food or drinks
- Not much talking just fishing, we did share / help each other if we found a certain way the Silverwonders wanted the purple beetle.
- Spending the morning on the water with almost one of the best fisherpersons me know.
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Big PJ must have been practicing as it was a lot closer today, but there was still a gap, but me know next time this will not be the case. Me watched Big PJ, he has the technique and presentation needed to convince the Silverwonders this is what they want to eat.
Me gave him 10 original 3” H&H purple beetles for his tackle box, me know he only has about 6 left, so next outing he may run out of them and you cannot find them anywhere, advantage Oneofthepack.
Grand Lake seems to be the best looking water, on a falling tide fish all the cuts that dump into the lake, find a deep spot with current lines and fish it.
Tight line, tight line, tight line, learn to feel the tap.
Bring H&H 3” purple beetles and H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
Fisherpersons who do not want to imitate anything, catch nothing.
O & A:
Why do fisherpersons never say “it’s only a fishing” when they’re winning?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S ODYSSEYS AGENDA:
Big Curtis & Big May in the AM, weather permitting, if not Thursday will be our trip, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- No Comments
- 493 views