Nothing plan, got home early from casino, called Big Pablo about a Monday trip, work say he, say he Big T—Doc want to go, might call him say he. Made the call Big T-Doc did not even think about it, go we go says he, meet up at Waffle House in Oak Harbor for 6:00 AM says me, trip we have now it got to be.
- Saturday did me workout routine, than laid around the house all day
- Me know Sunday me no lay around, off to casino, to seek other fish species, and donate a few bucks to the poker players, Loveofthepack joined in and she broke even with the slots.
- Early to bed, early to rise, loaded all gear into the FORD transporter, short ride to Waffle House, it decided that Big T-Doc would drive his truck down to our Disney World known as Delacroix Island.
- Big T-Doc & Oneofthepack thinking the same thing, let’s just eat breakfast and call it a day, wind, rain, mist, fog, all not inclusive for a trip it be.
- But we be from the same cloth, “YOU GO TO GO TO KNOW” so off we be
- No Hwy 11 or 90, I-10 to 5-10 all it be
- No spot along the way made the run with no interruptions.
- No boats on Hwy, gas stations, and / or launches, not a good sign
- Check Point Able, water level looked normal
- Check pint Bravo, hardly no water moving at Reggio canal.
- Hwy down to and all around Delacroix Island looked very much deserted, no activity at all, lonely it be
- Reached the home of the Bay Flat Sr, had trouble opening truck door, wind force to deal with
- Very misty, some call it wet
- Loaded up eh Bay Flat Sr, with all our gear, stored all in the correct places we ready to go, looked for boat key in tackle box…..HUSTON!!! we have a problem, no key to be found.
- Then me remembered me did not dock Bay Flat Sr last time, Big Bud did, now me hoping key still ignition, their it be.
- One turn and done, off run to Lionel’s for some go juice, ice, and dead shrimp, Big T-Doc needed some insurance on the confidence side.
- Off to spot # 17C to start our day……Huston we have a problem….FOG it be, me liking me 2 GPS more and more, go us to 17C with a little stress and concern, but we made it.
- North wind 18 to 25 mph steady she blew, moved around to N.N.E but same speed it be.
- Waves 2-3 feet in Little Lake as we crossed it going out and coming back, real bumpy ride back going into the wind.
- Overcast day, low clouds
- Misty all day
- Cold temps, me had jump suite on all day, later in the day added rain coat to break the wind from me bod.
- Water temp 62.3 at dock, 66.1 F spot # 17C
- Water level about normal
- Tide falling all day, real hard in some spots, making it almost impossible to fish
- Water clarity on a scale of 1-7, average a 3 minus, lost sight of the lure 6-8” below surface, Bay Batola had the best looking water, with Point Fienne having a close second.
- Saw 3 boats out and about, and they did not come out to late
TECHNIQUE / STRATEGY:
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Make sure me SeaTwo coverage up to date, makes for a more relaxing/ enjoying trip, knowing me have, and that SeaTwo have me back, especially on late evening trips, and not to good weather days.
- Put some run time on Bay Flat Sr. and Yamaha Dream Machine
- This be me daily therapy for ALL me aliments
- Gather Intel for future trips, and to share with fisherperson, (on rodnreel.com) to help assist them in their choice of areas to fish, lures to use and presentation of same to the elusive Silverwonders.
- Hit spot # 17C to see if the Silverwodners where still there.
- Try to put some fish in the box for Big T-Doc and Big Carol, (Big T-doc better half)
- Learn to fish / catch in the conditions we had today, nothing like a challenge to make the day go by fast
- Find a spot # with the seven fundamentals / criteria of catching:
- WIND AT YOUR BACK: (Wind was a problem, but we solved it, had the wind at our back most of the day. Oak River Troll was out of the question for 2 reasons, 1 wind & water going in opposite direction, and 2 wind has us moving at 2 to 2.5 mph as we drifted along the canals, and Oak River. Other good thing about the wind no bugs or nats, nat season is coming up fast, when you have nats, the Silverwodners will bite.)
- MOVING WATER: (No problem moving all day, cuts and chocked down canals water moving to strong, made it hard to fish with lures. Big T-Doc had a 7/16 oz. sinker and his line / rig just blew by us right to left, could not even feel the bottom, but once again we kept running a round to found the conditions / combination we were looking for)
- WATER CALRITY: (Not really bad, not really good, clarity was pretty consistent form Little Lake, Grand Lake, Bay Batola, Skippy Bay, and Oak River and North / South pipeline, it was very fishable, but catching was our challenge of the day.)
- HOLDING FISH: (Spot 61C, the one and only)
- PATIENTS: ( We did not catch our first fish until 10:05, so me think we need some patients, but like me always say, “anybody can catch them when they biting”. Me think Big T-Doc was almost ready to throw in the towel, said front may have shut them down, says me you got to believe, and be / have perseverance like Big Bud (aka Eastofmrgo) .
- SKILL: (Was actually knowledge, knowledge from past recent trips, knowing where we caught them last time and where they might be this time. This knowledge lead us to the spot, but in this case the spot moved a block and half away, we had to set up totally different this time, but knowledge brought us to the area.)
- LUCK: (Boy did we have luck today. We licked into the best spot, location position of Bay Flat Sr to catch a few fish, without luck we would have got skunked today for sure)
- Anchor up cast & retrieve slowly along the bottom, with a twitch every now and then, tight lining…………………………………ALL FISH CUAGHT THIS WAY, CAST UP CURRENT LET LURE GO DONW TO BOTTOM, BOUNCE ALONG THE BOTTM, GIVE A TWICH EVERY NOW AND THEN, DON’T LET LURE GOT PASS MIDSHIP OF YOU, CAST UP CURRENT AND REPEAT PRESENTIAON.
- Oak River Troll (ORT)………………..NOTING TO WINDY
- Reverse Oak River Troll (RORT) ………..DID NTO TRY
- Oak River Skim (ORS) ……………DID NOT TRY
- Cork ……..NOTHING
- Lake P Troll (LPT)…………….N/A
- Dead bait………BIG T-DOC DID SOME DMAGE CAROLINA RIG, BUT HIS MAIN TECHNIQUE WAS THE H&H PURPEL BEETEL MACTEH UP WITH H&H ¼ OZ. ROUND WHITE HEAD WITH GOLD HOOK, TIPPED WITH DED SHRIMP. BIG T-DOC COULD NOT MASTER LURE FISHING, NOR DID HE WANT TO TRY IT THAT MUCH, HAD HE MORE CONDFIDNCE IN DEAD BAIT.
- Live bait…………………NONE
· LURE DU JOURE:
- 3” H&H Purple Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head with gold hook…………….ALL FSIH CAUGHT WITH THIS LURE AND RIG
- 3” Chartreuse Glow Beetle, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook………….NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H ¼ oz. round white head w/gold hook……………NOTHING
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 3/8 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with H&H 1/2 oz. round white head w/gold hook……………DID NOT TRY
- Matrix Shad Lemon Drop, matched up with 3/4 oz. round lead head ……………N/A
AREAS / SPOTS / NUMBERS OF THE MAP FISHED:
Spot # 17C, B, C, 17, 2A, 21, 20, 61A, B, C, 20, 17C, called it a day at 2:10 PM me think, turned the Bay Flat Sr north for a real bumpy ride across Little Lake
- Lived to fish another day
- (0) NMR Silverwonders, me thought me had them figured out, but not to be
- (30) Reds, only kept 4 most 14-15 ½” next trip they be just right
- Big T-Doc lost 6 reeling in
- Me had one pop line, and missed a 27” at the boat
- 2 bottoms
- 2 popped lines
- 2 clams
- 3 sticks
- (2) bushel of grass
- Wildlife all around us
- Ducks all over the place
- Saw two American Bald Eagles playing around Oak River and North / South pipeline, they sitting on top of pipeline signs, very beautiful they be.
- Exposing our bods to the cool fresh air cooing from up north, me know our lungs appreciated it
- Best food, drinks, snacks had on the Bay Flat Sr, thanks to Big T-Doc for providing same.
- Relaxing, challenging day on the water with one of the best fisherperson me know, Big T-Doc it be.
- Lost another fishing partner, Big Al, Big Al and me met on rodnreel.com 2-3 years ago, over the years we made a couple trips with he and his daughter, had a lunch are two, shopped for fishing tackle, and he would call and we would always talk about family, friends and fishing. Sad to see such a nice farther, man, fisherperson, travel on past life, me hope it’s a pleasant journey for him.
- Me guess me getting into that vintage in life, (Lost 2 fisherpersons in 6 months) when it be like fine wine, don’t go till it time
- Best fishing trip of my life, until the next one.
FISHERPERSON OF THE DAY:
Me think it was a tie, we both caught plenty, we both caught big reds, we both like to froze, and we both was especially happy to be back in the nice warm truck, so it be a tie, we both fisherperson of the day.
Try fishing a challenging day, (re: weather conditions, etc.) you might just learn new spots, new techniques, perseverance, and most important you can make it happen on those days too.
If you go and you like dead bait, you might want to buy before you go down, nothing like fresh bait.
Don’t know that you need live bait, but if it is what makes you more confident got for it.
PONDER OF THE DAY:
I realize that every trip isn’t a work of catching.
O & A:
Why do fish do things that they know will get them into trouble?
FUTURE TEAM JO-JO’S next foray AGENDA:
Nothing plan, tomorrow Loveoftheapck day trip to French Quarter, Thursday a possibility, funereal Friday, may have to work Friday evening & possible Saturday, Sunday grandparent duty, ball games & Gymnastics, may have to wait to next week to search for the elusive Silverwodners.
Plus me running out of first mates, not all are believers in “YOU GOT TO GO TO KNOW”, hope to see all you fisherpersons out and about, until then:
Team Jo-Jo & Oneofthepack
- One Comment
- 611 views